Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Discussion Round 15 Carlton vs GWS at Metricon. (Read 9529 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Discussion Round 15 Carlton vs GWS at Metricon.

Reply #60
I don't agree but it depends on what you mean by "rough and tough".

I've never seen Whitfield shirk a contest and he regularly takes marks running with the flight like Walsh's a few weeks ago.

If you mean Whitfield isn't a push and shove thug like Greene and that he'll try to avoid that stuff, then true!
I have seen him intimidated and lose interest in contesting, you dont have to pull out you just dont go because you know whats coming. GWS across the board have a few like that, even Greene in a final had the Pies Maynard for company and didnt want the body contact and was unsighted but the following year made up for it playing a ripper game vs the Pies and thats why I rate him highly. GWS are highly skilled across the team so playing them on their merits usually doesnt work so the more physical teams soften them up by dumping them hard in tackles etc and paying special attention to their playmakers.
Thats why they have to keep playing a busted up crap truck like Mummy to give them some presence and why Greene is so important to them.

Reply #61
I have seen him intimidated and lose interest in contesting, ................
The only time I've seen Whitfield hesitant was when we later found out he'd played on with a serious injury, and he ended up in hospital just to prove the point! He's as brave if not even braver than Simmo!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
This game will depend on which GWS turns up. They are flat track bullies and really put the Dockers to the sword. The question is whether they are self satisfied by that performance or whether they will be galvanized by the performance and make another charge like last season. Their weakness's are their rucks, their tendency to stop playing as a team, they play a bit like an all star team, and their back line is a bit slow, except for Williams. If Cripps is not playing, I would like to see Kennedy, Setterfield and Walsh in the middle, with Curnow  as support. I wouldn't mind Dow in there as well to give a bit of pace around the contest. I wouldn't mind Fisher up there but he has been our best forward as late. Our forward line needs to function better and exploit their lack of pace. There are too many games where we are only kicking one or no goals in a quarter. We must find a way to hit the scoreboard and we need to be scoring at least twelve goals. 

Reply #63
The only time I've seen Whitfield hesitant was when we latter found out he'd played on with a serious injury, and he ended up in hospital just to prove the point! He's as brave if not even braver than Simmo!
A very average Hawthorn beat GWS twice in 2019...not because the Hawks have more talent, far from it but they know how to physically pressure GWS and nobody does that stuff better than Clarko.

Reply #64
McGovern might be a handy in as a 3rd tall defender this week? Either that or he comes in and plays forward and Casboult plays back for periods....he showed he could do it last year when Jones went down.

Reply #65
A very average Hawthorn beat GWS twice in 2019...not because the Hawks have more talent, far from it but they know how to physically pressure GWS and nobody does that stuff better than Clarko.
Firstly, I suspect the Dawks are average by choice, they look to be tanking.

Secondly, to intimidate you need to have a few things in place. Players who are intimidating helps, players who are not fearful of someone like Mumford trying to knock them out, and team-mates or at least the feeling that the majority of team-mates have your back. I'd say we've got almost zero from three!

In any case, we are talking about old-fashioned football tactics, they are now in my opinion a modern football dead end, and perhaps a sure way of turning players away from your club. Modern players are more like Cripps, and likely to help up an opponent and perform a post-game care visit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Firstly, I suspect the Dawks are average by choice, they look to be tanking.

Secondly, to intimidate you need to have a few things in place. Players who are intimidating helps, players who are not fearful of someone like Mumford trying to knock them out, and team-mates or at least the feeling that the majority of team-mates have your back. I'd say we've got almost zero from three!

In any case, we are talking about old-fashioned football tactics, they are now in my opinion a modern football dead end, and perhaps a sure way of turning players away from your club. Modern players are more like Cripps, and likely to help up an opponent and perform a post-game care visit.
I think the Hawks are average because they continually topped up after refusing to rebuild or even have a measured reset because Clarko's ego took over and didnt want to manage a bottom team but thats another story.
I dont think its any secret that if you want to beat GWS you take a physical approach and not try and play them at their own highly skilled game hence they cant cut the umbilical cord with Mumford who makes them walk taller..
There is a balance with being the good guy and winning flags, Cripps running through Mayne was a nasty incident but IMO good for Cripps to be seen as taking no prisoners and we need more of that IMO given we have a lot of very nice kids who can look like the high school drama production class at times. Hardwick and Clarkson both talk about liking their teams to play on the edge and thats what you need to win GF's IMO, we need to follow that example and lose the Von Trapp nice boys image. GWS should have won two flags by now IMHO and there is a reason for that and its not talent....

Reply #67
I'll never forget the day Sheedy went ape crap at David Hille, Hille had stopped to check his opponent was OK when he thought heard the opponents bone break! Sheedy seeing this was furious at the break, and barrelled Hille who ignored him making Sheedy even more furious.

Sheedy wanted his players to belt opponents while they are down, something Sheedy never did face to face but only in the ankle or ear from behind!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
I think the Hawks are average because they continually topped up after refusing to rebuild or even have a measured reset because Clarko's ego took over and didnt want to manage a bottom team but thats another story.
I dont think its any secret that if you want to beat GWS you take a physical approach and not try and play them at their own highly skilled game hence they cant cut the umbilical cord with Mumford who makes them walk taller..
There is a balance with being the good guy and winning flags, Cripps running through Mayne was a nasty incident but IMO good for Cripps to be seen as taking no prisoners and we need more of that IMO given we have a lot of very nice kids who can look like the high school drama production class at times. Hardwick and Clarkson both talk about liking their teams to play on the edge and thats what you need to win GF's IMO, we need to follow that example and lose the Von Trapp nice boys image. GWS should have won two flags by now IMHO and there is a reason for that and its not talent....
I thought Crippa was going to go back and give him a cuddle when he saw him not getting up. Apparently he contacted Mayne that night to check that he was ok, class act. Kents of days gone by would never have done that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #69
I thought Crippa was going to go back and give him a cuddle when he saw him not getting up. Apparently he contacted Mayne that night to check that he was ok, class act. Kents of days gone by would never have done that.
Agree...and nothing wrong after the game checking on Mayne who is a very popular player at Collingwood. The latter who is a different cat to most footballers especially Collingwood ones being a vegan, very gentle earthy soul who cares about animals , the environment, and makes baby clothes out of natural materials and who would have done the same for Cripps I'm sure.

Reply #70
Sheedy never did face to face but only in the ankle or ear from behind!

Still like to grab the lace from his #10 guernsey and wrap it around his throat.  Coward

Reply #71
Still like to grab the lace from his #10 guernsey and wrap it around his throat.  Coward
Balme, Sheedy, Clarko..you never forget the scumbags...funny how they all have prospered through the game....and the nice guys come last.

Reply #72
Carlton..Plowman(inj), Gibbo(inj) and TDK dropped.
Cottrell, McGovern and SPS in...

GWS..Finlayson in for Kelly(inj)

Mummy playing his 200th so he probably has a licence to mutilate..

Reply #73
Carlton..Plowman(inj), Gibbo(inj) and TDK dropped.
Cottrell, MCgovern and SPS in...

GWS..Finlayson in for Kelly(inj)

Like the ins but dont like TDK out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #74
If they've got Cameron, Himmelberg and Finlayson up forward, one of Levi or McGovern will have to play back....which leaves us pretty light on for marking power up forward.