Skip to main content
Topic: Women's League (Read 32209 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Women's League

Reply #75
Cheeky !!!

Don't know enough about the players to put up anything remotely authorative on the matter.

** waits for some smart alec to say "well that hasn't stopped you in the past" **  :P

Well, that hasn't stopped you in the past...lol!

Reply #76
You rotten sod !!!    ;) 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #77
It's not that I don't like the idea of women's footy, I'm very sceptical about not only it's long-term viability but also us being one of the first licencees.

I think the AFL will subsidise it heavily knowing if they can't make a rivalry like Carlton / Collingwood work then there is not much short term hope for rapid growth. I am sure that is why we go the nod ahead of other clubs. I doubt it will cost us a lot and every dollar we spend is targeted at more than half the population.

Long term it should work regardless, I think our club wants to be in on the ground level, for the same reason CheatsFC got into the ground level at Docklands. The sweetest deals will be done early.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
The Sheik is taking a bit of flak. I wonder if BBB will step in to help him out. :)

I read that only 30% of our members are female and is below average. There must be a lot of potential female members out there that the old Carlton have ignored much the same way they ignored many things that have been detrimental to the club.

It may well prove timely for us that BB and a new admin has stepped in just as the female league has developed.

Reply #79
The Sheik is taking a bit of flak. I wonder if BBB will step in to help him out. :)

I read that only 30% of our members are female and is below average. There must be a lot of potential female members out there that the old Carlton have ignored much the same way they ignored many things that have been detrimental to the club.

It may well prove timely for us that BB and a new admin has stepped in just as the female league has developed.

I saw that too and it seems that we're well off the pace.  Hopefully our women's team will boost female membership.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80
It's not that I don't like the idea of women's footy, I'm very sceptical about not only it's long-term viability but also us being one of the first licencees.

Why should we be part of it initially when there will be 5 new teams in 2018 ??

Surely the smarter approach would be to let another club have that spot and we can watch them all from the outside to see what errors they make plus how the clubs & league deal with the teething problems initially.

I don't believe we are in a strong enough position financially to take on such a thing just yet.

The smartest position is neither to take the first spot nor to sit back and wait to see if something works.

The best strategy is to identify an opportunity and develop a strategy to take advantage and, in this circumstance, we've decided that being one of the first clubs is the best way forward.

Apparently Geelong engaged the Boston Consulting Group to handle their bid . Have a look at their pedigree and decide for yourself if it's a good idea to go in first . Apparently Geelong are spewing.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #81
I always like to see initiatives that lead to a growth and expansion of the game.

Sometimes these hit a bit of a brick wall and never seem to progress...International Rules is one such concept.

Lots of positives in this one...as some have mentioned the flow through to the junior competitions is an important one and a major battleground is Western Sydney.

While Rugby League has some good female participation rates in touch footy they don't really have a female form of the game and by it's nature it's unlikely ever to have one.

Here's where our game has a good opportunity to build a generational interest, as young women see a pathway to play the game at a high level.
As the women's game strengthens at the junior level Mum's and Dads can have kids of both genders involved rather than splitting time between sports.
As these kids grow up and have kids of their own support of the game will increase.

Very pleased to see teams in Brisbane and Western Sydney as well as Carlton.

Reply #82
In 2017, the AFL will subsidise each AWFL team to the tune of $1mill so you have assume that the running costs per annum are around that figure.

In 2018, where is the club going to find that extra $1mill to cover the running costs of the women's team ??

You are assuming that the AFL will not continue to subsidise clubs past 2017. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i haven't read anything that suggests this.

If the AFL go on past efforts, subsidies will continue as long as they are needed. GWS are still having bucket loads of cash thrown at them.....and its more than a mere $1mil.

FWIW, most 'start up businesses' lose money in the first year, maybe 2. The whole point is long term gain. So even IF we are a little out of pocket initially, i think it will pay dividends over the long haul.

Reply #83
So stoked to see the national womens league get off the ground, and even more proud that Carlton are going to be one of the inaugural clubs.

Really disappointed at some of the comments on here, which just highlight many of the obstacles that female sportspeople face each day. Thankfully attitudes like these are becoming a thing of the past, even if that's an extremely slow process. A lot of the comments made about the skill level of women footballers could be said of many men playing at suburban clubs, however those men often take home a bit of cash for their efforts. Until now even the best female footballers have been prohibited from being paid for their services which is yet another example of gender inequality in sport.

Not only do women in almost all sports, play second fiddle to the men in terms of facilities and resources, then they're mocked for not having the same level of skill as their male counterparts. If the same amount of money and time was poured into womens sport as it is men, there would be a massive difference in the output.

I'm so proud of all the women who will represent the 8 clubs next year, a lot of them have (until recently) done it with so fewer opportunities than far less talented men. I've had the privilege of playing with or against a number of them and have seen first hand how hard they work to achieve what they have.  Also very thankful to the AFL for stepping in about 5 years ago and investing heavily in the development of womens footy.

Now here's hoping the Billie Judd and the Carrazzo triplets can come along and represent the Blues one day  ;)

Let me start with saying i am 100% behind the club and its new venture.....and the AFL for that matter.

Now, let me play devils advocate a bit here in answering a question with a question.
re bold paragraphs...
Is it not a case of simple economics - supply and demand?

Could it be that suburban men, and obviously AFL players get paid to play because it is financially viable to do so. That is, people are willing to pay to watch blokes run around in the suburban leagues.....at least in terms of inflated bar prices at a minimum. So in order to grow that 'business', paying for better players is the way to go. Both in goodwill, and immediate financial revenue.

In regards to womens sport, i think it is more about a lack of audience, rather than a lack of skill as to why women don't get paid (more/at all).

Reply #84
You are assuming that the AFL will not continue to subsidise clubs past 2017. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i haven't read anything that suggests this.

If the AFL go on past efforts, subsidies will continue as long as they are needed. GWS are still having bucket loads of cash thrown at them.....and its more than a mere $1mil.

FWIW, most 'start up businesses' lose money in the first year, maybe 2. The whole point is long term gain. So even IF we are a little out of pocket initially, i think it will pay dividends over the long haul.

I can't see the AFL tipping in vast amounts of money if there is no return on their investment. I realise they throw money at GWS & GC but they are strategically located clubs who tie in importantly with their gazillion dollar TV rights deal.

The other issue that concerns me most is if this doesn't succeed, how exposed might we be when our finances are already not where we want them to be.

Reply #85
I can't see the AFL tipping in vast amounts of money if there is no return on their investment. I realise they throw money at GWS & GC but they are strategically located clubs who tie in importantly with their gazillion dollar TV rights deal.

The other issue that concerns me most is if this doesn't succeed, how exposed might we be when our finances are already not where we want them to be.

If we can get a bit of money and the relevant council approval to do up Princes Park and be able to use it for both men and women this team will pay for itself three times over in the next ten years.

This could be extremely lucrative for our footy club if we manage to work this the right way and that's with a woman's team that's insolvent.  Imagine they actually get a bit of sponsorship, garner a crowd and turn a profit.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #86
If we can get a bit of money and the relevant council approval to do up Princes Park and be able to use it for both men and women this team will pay for itself three times over in the next ten years.

This could be extremely lucrative for our footy club if we manage to work this the right way and that's with a woman's team that's insolvent.  Imagine they actually get a bit of sponsorship, garner a crowd and turn a profit.

It would be a sensational result if Princes Park was reinstated as a genuine venue once again, I'm not sure how viable that option really is but it is worth aiming for. 

Reply #87
Given that you've offered nothing more than a petty backhander, clearly you have no idea also.

If you are content that this new venture will not be a money drain on the club when our finances are still rather shakey, then good for you.

Give it 3 years. If the women's side of the club is not making a profit by it's 4th season, then we as a club are either doing it wrong or the comp as a whole has been a flop.
It may take time to build up solid sponsorship and membership numbers along with every thing else, but with the right model, I can see no reason why our women's team will not be able to stand up on their own financially within 3-4 years.

I found it interesting what LP said about the women having a whole different marketing market to get their sponsorship from. I'd never really thought about it, but I reckon he makes a good point.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #88

Which one? He has 2 to choose from......  ::)
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #89
Give it 3 years. If the women's side of the club is not making a profit by it's 4th season, then we as a club are either doing it wrong or the comp as a whole has been a flop.

I agree with you here, it will certainly take three-years before we can get a clear picture on it's overall viability.