Skip to main content
Topic: Women's League (Read 31711 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Women's League

Reply #90
It would be a sensational result if Princes Park was reinstated as a genuine venue once again, I'm not sure how viable that option really is but it is worth aiming for.

The women need a ground to play at most weeks in Melbourne and I can't see many better options that are almost ready to go.

Then we can start angling wheeling and dealing on improving the place, and I reckon we will get our way in the court of public opinion and therefore government grants faster than you can say the words "misogyny" "equality".

There are many ways to get the council to approve what they have previously rejected but some ways are easier than others.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #91
Let me start with saying i am 100% behind the club and its new venture.....and the AFL for that matter.

Now, let me play devils advocate a bit here in answering a question with a question.
re bold paragraphs...
Is it not a case of simple economics - supply and demand?

Could it be that suburban men, and obviously AFL players get paid to play because it is financially viable to do so. That is, people are willing to pay to watch blokes run around in the suburban leagues.....at least in terms of inflated bar prices at a minimum. So in order to grow that 'business', paying for better players is the way to go. Both in goodwill, and immediate financial revenue.

In regards to womens sport, i think it is more about a lack of audience, rather than a lack of skill as to why women don't get paid (more/at all).

No, even clubs that that had the money to pay players through sponsorship and food and drinks etc, have been prohibited to do so. But even for the clubs who struggle, it's that old adage 'you have to spend money to make money'. The investment in facilities for women's sport is ridiculous in comparison to men. The amount of footy grounds that don't even have change room facilities to cater for women is crazy. Also there's the fact that women's clubs who share facilities with a men's club, often get relegated to training and playing at times that aren't entirely convenient because the men get first priority.

The commitment and sacrifice that a lot of women make to play footy is (in my opinion) a lot greater than guys at the same level, yet the women get rewarded far less. For example, in both the clubs that I played for, we shared an oval with men's teams. That meant that we trainined on Wenesdays and Fridays because the guys got the oval on Tuesday and Thursday. Our games are on Sunday's because the blokes have Saturday games. This means if you want to play footy and you're female, you better be prepared to give up your entire weekend to footy and say goodbye to a social life for 6 months every year. Can't really do much on Friday nights because you have training, can't do much Saturday nights because you've got a game the next day. Can't really go out after the game if you don't live near your ground because there aren't any appropriate shower facilities to clean up after the game.

I know it sounds trivial, but these factors prohibit a lot of young women from fully committing to a sport, which means the pool is even less than what it could be.

Reply #92
Hope the team is embraced as a part of the Club and isn't treated like some gimmicky side project.
I'm sure with Kate Jenkins around, this wont be the case.

Reply #93
I am not sure about the merits of womens football. It appears to be a growing sport and as more play the standard should improve.

I don't think it will be a stand alone crowd or TV success however I think they could be great curtain raisers or played in conjunction with the mens game.

Having said that I would rather be involved from the beginning and its a failure, than not be involved and its a success!

The league wont let it fail!

Reply #94
The league wont let it fail!

I see it as a significant step is wrestling back some of the momentum lost to soccer at the lower levels. Already a lot of Girls play soccer, they become mum's who think soccer is a better game for their kids, get the girls playing footy and they will feel better about their kids playing footy. It will take a while, but it will happen.

Due to the size of the playing list/team, there is a tribal aspect to AFL that cannot be matched by soccer or other football codes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
No, even clubs that that had the money to pay players through sponsorship and food and drinks etc, have been prohibited to do so. But even for the clubs who struggle, it's that old adage 'you have to spend money to make money'. The investment in facilities for women's sport is ridiculous in comparison to men. The amount of footy grounds that don't even have change room facilities to cater for women is crazy. Also there's the fact that women's clubs who share facilities with a men's club, often get relegated to training and playing at times that aren't entirely convenient because the men get first priority.

The commitment and sacrifice that a lot of women make to play footy is (in my opinion) a lot greater than guys at the same level, yet the women get rewarded far less. For example, in both the clubs that I played for, we shared an oval with men's teams. That meant that we trainined on Wenesdays and Fridays because the guys got the oval on Tuesday and Thursday. Our games are on Sunday's because the blokes have Saturday games. This means if you want to play footy and you're female, you better be prepared to give up your entire weekend to footy and say goodbye to a social life for 6 months every year. Can't really do much on Friday nights because you have training, can't do much Saturday nights because you've got a game the next day. Can't really go out after the game if you don't live near your ground because there aren't any appropriate shower facilities to clean up after the game.

I know it sounds trivial, but these factors prohibit a lot of young women from fully committing to a sport, which means the pool is even less than what it could be.

Look, i agree with you that women have it harder. I fully understand everything you are saying. Basically the men 'pull rank' and the women get whats left. I know its unfair in that regard.

What i am suggesting by playing devils advocate is that it is that way, and may always be that way, simply because more people (both men and women) are more interested in watching the men play.
Essentially, i don't think it is that way because of some gender issue exactly, but more of a supply and demand issue.
Women may never get the same as men (in football) because ultimately it is a business and it is easier to make money loking after the men, as that is what the majority of people want.

Its like saying that the over 35's leagues don't get as many advantages as the mens side. Thats not ageist, its just the way it is as people are not as interested in it.
Its like saying that people who want to play hurling in Melbourne can't find a place to play because the grounds are all taken up by cricket, soccer, rugby and football. If you go to Ireland, its the opposite.

I'm all for giving Women as much help as we can give them in setting up their own league with all the bells and whistles. I can't forsee it growing to the level that AFL is at though. Because of that, they will never get the same 'help'. How big it grows depends on how much 'help' it gets. Of course its a catch 22 as how much help it gets depends on how big it can get....to a certain extent at least.

So again, i don't wish to take anything away from the moment. I am probably more happy than the majority of people if this site is anything to go by. I just think everyones expectations vary wildly with what this could actually mean to the club and individuals.

Reply #97
I can't see the AFL tipping in vast amounts of money if there is no return on their investment. I realise they throw money at GWS & GC but they are strategically located clubs who tie in importantly with their gazillion dollar TV rights deal.

The other issue that concerns me most is if this doesn't succeed, how exposed might we be when our finances are already not where we want them to be.

You can't see, but thats what they do....long term goals.

Took Sydney 20+ years to work.

Letting women play in a national comp will not have any immediate benefit, but mothers who play are more likely to let their kids play (both boys and girls). It ensures a level of growth that may take decades to show.

Reply #98
I was a bit gobsmacked to hear my father state not long ago that he will go watch women's footy if Carlton get a team up. As far as he was concerned, if they wear a cfc then he will go watch. Now will get to hold him to it.

The success or failure of this venture will be well discussed, but as a poster below alluded, comparing the emerging women's game to the men's is perhaps an unfair comparison. Women's aussie rules may be better comparing (if it must be compared at all) itself to soccer, in so far as participation and number of teams, as this seems fairer, than to the AFL which has well over a century of evolution behind it. This might be a better benchmark, and support the game to become its own thing, rather than constantly being compared to league football played by men, which always lets naysayers have a crack on the basis of sponsership and tv ratings. If tv ratings are the benchmark then why dont we compare footy to masterchef or home reno shows.

As for us, a longer term vision of the cfc is (could be) a club that fields a league team, a reserves team, a women's team, a couple of other development teams and does a whole lot of other things related to football, sport and community health more generally.  The potential for revenue sources is expanded, as is a foundation for sustainability and intergenerational support via memberships. Women's footy is just part of the picture.

Reply #99
I am extremely excited by this league and that we have a team. Really proud, and really excited. I will be following the draft and potential recruits and actual AFL games quite closely. Womens/Girls footy at local level and in schools is awesome to watch! Some seriously talented ladies play footy! Go Blues! And, Go Ladies!

Reply #100
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/olympian-kim-mickle-joins-dockers-for-womens-league/news-story/ae5b864e57ddbcf60a82a825cfee4aa7

Olympic javelin athlete Kim Mickle has signed with Fremantle for the national women’s league and is expected to be ready for pre-season training despite her post-Rio Games shoulder reconstruction.

As a dubious part time throwing coach I find this interesting.
We know she has a pretty high pain threshold...We saw Kim's shoulder blow out in the act of throwing at the games and then she had to wander around looking for someone to help put it back ::)...question is..... How will those shoulders stand up?

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/iFePfqDWD7Y[/flash]
BTW She can kick a goal  :D

Reply #101
Congrats to Mick Stinear ex Blue rookie and current Oakleigh Chargers coach on getting the gig as coach of the Demons womens team. Had the pleasure of dealing with Mick when he was organising a girls half time match at the MCG in which my daughter was playing and day of the game we got the news through my mother was dying. Mick was fantastic in helping organise so my daughter could play the game (as my Mum would have wanted) while my wife and I went to Mum's side. Really put himself out and came across as a genuinely nice bloke.

Reply #102
Thanks for posting Ian - we need more quality blokes in footy.