Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday (Read 73827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018: Carlton vs St Kilda at Ikon on Wednesday

Reply #405
Answer me this.
Who does he play on against Richmond?

Weitering should be doing for us what Taylor does for Geelong, Rance does for Nthmond or Gibson did for the Dawks. He should be our main 3rd man up intercept marking player, it's clearly his strength and we've failed to have a structure that allows him to play his game. They don't really play on anybody because their job is to get to as many marking contests as possible and make the extra numbers. I'm pegging he's a certainty if fit to be selected for that very reason, even if he hadn't lead the intercept marking before we tried to make him a forward.

I'm also expecting him to be one of the better ball users from the back half, he's got the skills he just needs the experience to make the majority of his decisions the correct one.

A lot of posters talk about him losing confidence, that is based on hesitations and poor apparent disposal, but a lot of that comes from the players around him and up the ground not doing what they should be doing. It's no different to that Daisy chip-and-run last weekend, which was a result of no KPF leading up the wing at the ball carrier. The problem wasn't Daisy, it was further up the field.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #406
Weitering should be doing for us what Taylor does for Geelong, Rance does for Nthmond or Gibson did for the Dawks. He should be our main 3rd man up intercept marking player, it's clearly his strength and we've failed to have a structure that allows him to play his game. They don't really play on anybody because their job is to get to as many marking contests as possible and make the extra numbers. I'm pegging he's a certainty if fit to be selected for that very reason, even if he hadn't lead the intercept marking before we tried to make him a forward.

I'm also expecting him to be one of the better ball users from the back half, he's got the skills he just needs the experience to make the majority of his decisions the correct one.

A lot of posters talk about him losing confidence, that is based on hesitations and poor apparent disposal, but a lot of that comes from the players around him and up the ground not doing what they should be doing. It's no different to that Daisy chip-and-run last weekend, which was a result of no KPF leading up the wing at the ball carrier. The problem wasn't Daisy, it was further up the field.

Rance and Gibson are more mobile, faster and more athletic than weets. Not sure about Taylor. The other issue is that Richmond or any other team are unlikely to leave weitering unmanned for long. The other side of the argument is that he has a very good footy brain and is a very good reader of the play, which mitigates to some extent the lack of leg speed. An interesting discussion for the selection committee IMO.

Reply #407

Marchbank plays the intercept marking player as does OShea if and when he gets a game, we need true KP players to take the gorilla's...we have Jones, but then look to ACOS and Rowe when fit....
Weitering was recruited to play true KP IMO and to take the likes of Kennedy, Dixon, Lynch, Buddy, Hawkins etc but we now know they are probably not his ideal opponents and he doesnt enjoy the physical push and shove stuff and prefers the intercept role...
We cant have everyone wanting the easy role down back, some have to play proper defense and man up their opponent...

Reply #408
Marchbank plays the intercept marking player as does OShea if and when he gets a game, we need true KP players to take the gorilla's...we have Jones, but then look to ACOS and Rowe when fit....
Weitering was recruited to play true KP IMO and to take the likes of Kennedy, Dixon, Lynch, Buddy, Hawkins etc but we now know they are probably not his ideal opponents and he doesnt enjoy the physical push and shove stuff and prefers the intercept role...
We cant have everyone wanting the easy role down back, some have to play proper defense and man up their opponent...

Exactly EB.

Jones will likely take them as Weiters is not suited to them.
...and as you say, Marchbank plays a similar zone off role, and offers the ability to play on smaller/quicker players if need be. Ditto Plowman, albeit a smaller version of both.

@LP..
In regards to playing a zone defense, that is fine, but the opposition won't allow it 100% of the time.
Eventually players will have to find a man, and i'd expect Richmond to exploit someone like Weiters on the lead and/or with double/triple leads.

Put simply.
Weiters has not thus far been able to mind the gorillas.
Weiters has not been able to play on the small agile types.
Weiters might not have a suitable opponent to play on.
The blokes we already have in our side, are capable of doing the same things that Weiters excels at - Reading the play, zoning off and using the ball well.

I expect him to get games....most likely more than half the games for the year.
However, if we pick a side to match the opposition, i suspect of the 4, he'd be the one most likely to be left out.

Reply #409
The bloke is just 20 ffs.

Has he even stopped growing? I reckon he's a tad taller and quite a few kg heavier than our public stats suggest....

At 195cm+ and 95kg+ clearly in the size bracket suitable of taking most KPP forwards....

Lot of people saying he can and can't do this or that or he won't be able to do this or that...

My reckoning? The guy will become AA in 2019 (if not before) and stay in that bracket for a darn long time....

Rowe and ASOS both north of 30 i think, Jones 27 odd.

There's a spot for Jacob every day of the week....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #411

That's not an easy role, how can you say that? The role that Rance, Gibson and Taylor are lauded for is not the easy role! ;)

Jones will likely take them as Weiters is not suited to them.

Jones wants to run and jump at everything, he's far less of a body on body type than Weitering. :o

...and as you say, Marchbank plays a similar zone off role, and offers the ability to play on smaller/quicker players if need be. Ditto Plowman, albeit a smaller version of both.

No wonder we are no good, everyone is intercept marking! :o

In regards to playing a zone defense, that is fine, but the opposition won't allow it 100% of the time.
Eventually players will have to find a man, and i'd expect Richmond to exploit someone like Weiters on the lead and/or with double/triple leads.

Aerobically Weitering is one of the clubs highest rated talls, as I understand it he is only bettered by Kreuzer and Cripps!

Seriously Kruddler, you are clutching at straws trying to justify comments that are unfounded.

Weitering kicked 3 goals playing on Rance!

Rotated with ACoS on Franklin in our early season victory.

Kept Ben Brown to a single goal!

Covered Himmelberg the following week.

The dealt with 2M Peter the week after!

Played great games on Darling, Schoenmakers and was one of our best if not the best on ground in the last round thumping at the hands of the Swans.

Yeah, the kids a spud who can't play tall, small, forward, fast or anything in between!

What are you smoking! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #412
I dont think Weitering has enjoyed the physical stuff since he was first injured, I think that shoulder injury did a lot of damage to his confidence and woke him up to the fact there are a lot of big bodies out there and its not U18 footy anymore where he was one of the big boys.
IMO it will take some time to get his full mojo back and moving him forward was as much about helping him recover some confidence as well as giving the forward line a different look.

Reply #413
The bloke is just 20 ffs.

Has he even stopped growing? I reckon he's a tad taller and quite a few kg heavier than our public stats suggest....

At 195cm+ and 95kg+ clearly in the size bracket suitable of taking most KPP forwards....

Lot of people saying he can and can't do this or that or he won't be able to do this or that...

My reckoning? The guy will become AA in 2019 (if not before) and stay in that bracket for a darn long time....

Rowe and ASOS both north of 30 i think, Jones 27 odd.

There's a spot for Jacob every day of the week....

Absolutely! If he's fit, he'll be in the 22.

What I like about Weitering (and it also applies to Marchbank and Plowman to a certain degree) is that he can stand genuine key position forwards or small and medium forwards.  Of course, we know that he can also stand genuine key position defenders too.

Weitering may have had a couple of quiet games last season, but he still played every game and put in solid to very good performances in most games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #414
Yeah, the kids a spud who can't play tall, small, forward, fast or anything in between!

What are you smoking! ;D

I'd ask you the same thing if thats all you've got out of reading my posts.

Reply #415
I'd ask you the same thing if thats all you've got out of reading my posts.

You're wasting my time now, it's just a ridiculous position you have taken and the points you have tried to make have zero merit which makes then impossible to debate!

You should get a job with Trump, or lobby to have Carrots returned so you have a long meaningless debate with somebody!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #416
Seriously Kruddler, you are clutching at straws trying to justify comments that are unfounded.

As they say, practice makes perfect!   ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #417
I'm allowed to have an opinion. Just because it is unpopular does not mean it is wrong.

I had the opinion that Fevola needed to be traded. Not many people on my side on that one, but hey, that happened. Right Jimbo? Still waiting on that apology, but you are not alone.

I had the opinion that we would struggle last year and end up bottom 3. Copped the same kind of abuse i'm getting now, but checks the ladder, yep, right again. Hey Flyboy...no apologies from you either.

Very few people have anything nice to say about Daisy. He's been 'retired' by most on here every year he's been on the list, yet he earned the right to a new contract of his own bat.

So, insult all you want, doesn't worry me.

Reply #418
I'm allowed to have an opinion. Just because it is unpopular does not mean it is wrong.

I had the opinion that Fevola needed to be traded. Not many people on my side on that one, but hey, that happened. Right Jimbo? Still waiting on that apology, but you are not alone.

I had the opinion that we would struggle last year and end up bottom 3. Copped the same kind of abuse i'm getting now, but checks the ladder, yep, right again. Hey Flyboy...no apologies from you either.

Very few people have anything nice to say about Daisy. He's been 'retired' by most on here every year he's been on the list, yet he earned the right to a new contract of his own bat.

So, insult all you want, doesn't worry me.

Of course you are allowed an opinion, and I'm not normally in position to expose comments from you that have such little merit. I'm use to you making statements that are in some-way supported in stats or facts. As is your Daisy debate which is why I support it as well.

But I cannot find anything to support your claims regarding Weitering, in fact it's too easy to find points to contradict it.

Of course you are allowed an opinion, but the right to have an opinion doesn't mean anyone has to take it seriously, that it's right or that it has merit. As you have your right to express an opinion, so do those who read it have right to question it. But all opinions are not created equally, and that is an unquestionable reality!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #419
Insult?

Never.
Finals, then 4 in a row!