Skip to main content
Topic: Stosur vs Sheik 2015 (Read 34825 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stosur vs Sheik 2015

Reply #60
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-19/no-excuses-from-samantha-stosur-after-first-round-exit/7097196

Stosur did not talk about being nervous after losing 6-4, 7-6 (8/6) to Pliskova at Melbourne Park.

But Pliskova was happy to highlight the jitters of the top-ranked local hope in the women's draw, who continued her miserable record at the Australian Open.

"She was nervous, definitely," Pliskova said after her Rod Laver Arena rollick.

"I don't think she's in the best form right now. It's first time for her at home [in grand slam tournaments in 2016]. Big court.

"She was a little nervous and it's always tough to play someone who looks like they're injured.

"I think it was tough for her."

Pliskova hurt her hamstring in the match but Stosur was unable to capitalise on the world number 114's setback.

Stosur was seeded 25th and fully expected to account for Pliskova, who has played second fiddle to twin sister and world number 12 Karolina throughout her time on the WTA circuit.

Stosur's struggles at Melbourne Park
First round exit: 2016, 2012, 2005, 2002
Second round exit: 2015, 2013, 2007, 2004
Third round exit: 2014, 2011, 2009, 2003
Fourth round exit: 2010, 2006.

This has become a real problem for her.  Its all a matter of confidence imho.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
or she just isn't that good. It's not like she's dominating everywhere else.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63
Stosur's struggles at Melbourne Park
First round exit: 2016, 2012, 2005, 2002
Second round exit: 2015, 2013, 2007, 2004
Third round exit: 2014, 2011, 2009, 2003
Fourth round exit: 2010, 2006.

This has become a real problem for her.  Its all a matter of confidence imho.

So, playing tennis at Grand Slam level for 14 out of 15 years, whilst picking up a US Open title along the way and reaching #4 IN THE WORLD is not enough?? 

She now has "real problems" and lacks confidence...

You can't win every match you play and sometimes you prefer different surfaces.  Sometimes you are injured, sometimes you find the Australian support from the media and the suburbs a bit over the top.

She is a great girl who is a total professional in this sport.  She don't walk out on court just to give you a bad day...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #64
So, playing tennis at Grand Slam level for 14 out of 15 years, whilst picking up a US Open title along the way and reaching #4 IN THE WORLD is not enough?? 

She now has "real problems" and lacks confidence...

You can't win every match you play and sometimes you prefer different surfaces.  Sometimes you are injured, sometimes you find the Australian support from the media and the suburbs a bit over the top.

She is a great girl who is a total professional in this sport.  She don't walk out on court just to give you a bad day...

I just quoted the article, and highlighted that she seems to have a Travis Cloke kicking for goal like approach to the Australian Open.

She is a great girl and a total proffesional, who seems to have real difficulty at the Aussie open and for me it appears to be above the shoulders rather than in her ability to play because she has shown us better than what she consistently gives us at the Aussie open.

Maybe its her preparation, maybe its her coaching, maybe its simply the way she returns to competition and doesnt quite get the cobwebs out of the way until the main event and doesnt perform accordingly, but the reality is that she is better than what she gives us at the Aussie open, and I don't see why you have taken such exception to the post, when odds are Sam would herself tell you that the arguments have merit if she were to review these comments.

Odds are she knows fully well about it, else she wouldnt have played so nervously too.

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
The problem with a lot of articles and 90% of Australian "tennis fans" is they only watch tennis in January.

Stosur was a solid contender who broke into the top 10 in her prime and won a slam, now her career is coming to the end.

Stosur didn't have the same success in Australia but neither did Lleyton and I don't see anyone calling him a choker.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #66
That might be because generally, Lleyton won the matches he was expected to and won matches he wasnt expected to and generally played to expectations.

Stosur on the hand has not, and once again, the expectation was that she would win this match and she didn't.

Yep it could be explained this year by her career being in the twilight, and her really dropping off, as happens to all players eventually, but this is not different for her which is what raises people's eybrows.

Perhaps choke is too strong a word, but largely, she loses games people don't expect her to.  Define it however you like, but thats just the way some people see it.

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
The problem with a lot of articles and 90% of Australian "tennis fans" is they only watch tennis in January.

Stosur was a solid contender who broke into the top 10 in her prime and won a slam, now her career is coming to the end.

Stosur didn't have the same success in Australia but neither did Lleyton and I don't see anyone calling him a choker.

Sam, who has had a successful career by anyone's standards, has always been a choker (unfortunately for her)  as far as I can recall - and i follow the circuit year round and have done since before she was a pro.....

Rusty never had that issue.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #68
That might be because generally, Lleyton won the matches he was expected to and won matches he wasnt expected to and generally played to expectations.

Stosur on the hand has not, and once again, the expectation was that she would win this match and she didn't.

Yep it could be explained this year by her career being in the twilight, and her really dropping off, as happens to all players eventually, but this is not different for her which is what raises people's eybrows.

Perhaps choke is too strong a word, but largely, she loses games people don't expect her to.  Define it however you like, but thats just the way some people see it.

Leyton was exactly the same until we all realised he was no longer any good.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #69
Can I suggest that Sam Stosur has won more Grand Slams than everyone who comments on this site.

Reply #70
Can I suggest that Sam Stosur has won more Grand Slams than everyone who comments on this site.

You are probably right, but not by much  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
If we applied the "Stosur has done more in tennis than anyone on here" argument to the CFC, a site like this would not even exist. Any one of the more maligned CFC players has played more senior games than any of us ever will.

The disappointment with Stosur is that she is perceived as an underachiever, someone who has potential for far better results than what she is actually achieving - whether this is true, or whether she is in fact an average player who had some good form or good luck etc. a few years back, I guess only time will tell.  

Reply #72
So, is she suited to Australian court surfaces...or is that just part of being average with "issues"??

Why do the French prefer clay courts - just to annoy us??!!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #73
Her best win loss records in Grand Slam singles are at the French and US Open.

Reply #74
Not sure we'll be worrying about Sam Stosur for too much long. A new star is about to shine!! Carlton's own Dasha Gavrilova!!