Skip to main content
Topic: Stosur vs Sheik 2015 (Read 34842 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stosur vs Sheik 2015

Reply #30
Maybe he just can't let go of the dream. Maybe he still makes decent coin off the circuit. Who knows?

It's the most logical explanation. Clearly he doesn't have the tools knock off the players that matter and in a slam that means reaching the 4th round is a win.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #31
He probably just enjoys competing and thinks he's an outside chance every time he goes out there...

Reply #32
Considering the damage tennis has done to his body (which have not been made public), it astounding he is even close to getting on a tennis court these days.

But, he takes the game seriously and while he can compete, he will...you are retired for a long time.

He is still highly regarded by the other players on the circuit (Federer is one of his biggest fans) and is not seen as an easy win.

And maybe he is playing for himself and not the armchair experts - is there really a problem with that?
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #33
Considering the damage tennis has done to his body (which have not been made public), it astounding he is even close to getting on a tennis court these days.

But, he takes the game seriously and while he can compete, he will...you are retired for a long time.

He is still highly regarded by the other players on the circuit (Federer is one of his biggest fans) and is not seen as an easy win.

And maybe he is playing for himself and not the armchair experts - is there really a problem with that?

It may well be astounding that he is still playing given his injuries. I'll take your word for it, since as you say they have not been made public.

You say he takes the game seriously and while he can compete, he will. Fine.

You also say that other players really respect him, including Federer. Given that Fed has an 18-9 win loss record against him (I'm betting most of Hewitt's 9 victories were early in his career) and given that there is no evidence that any public utterances by sportsmen necessarily represent their true feelings, I'll leave it to the "armchair experts" to sort that one out.

The fact remains he is now (and has been for the last several seasons) an ordinary player who really has no weapons to use against half decent players. He is uninteresting to watch, and I would highly doubt the surprise victory people are waiting for will ever eventuate.

These are only my opinions. If you enjoy watching him play, then that's fine. 

Reply #34
So, why does this matter...??

Anybody who can constantly play in the top 100 is a good player.  Hewitt has done this for over a decade.

There are other very good players who have a taste of the circuit and walk away early for any number of reasons.

Every athlete has their ups and downs...but to send him out to pasture because he is not performing at an elite level all the time is harsh.

If you feel he is just doing it for the money and to make up numbers, the new hole in the training room wall might suggest otherwise...

To put this into perspective, he is excited that last year was the first time in memory he can play with no pain.  Look at the way he walks - he is no longer pigeon toed due to strapping.

If he is happy to play at a reasonable level in his final years - without pain - why not let him!!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #35
So, why does this matter...??

Anybody who can constantly play in the top 100 is a good player.  Hewitt has done this for over a decade.

There are other very good players who have a taste of the circuit and walk away early for any number of reasons.

Every athlete has their ups and downs...but to send him out to pasture because he is not performing at an elite level all the time is harsh.

If you feel he is just doing it for the money and to make up numbers, the new hole in the training room wall might suggest otherwise...

To put this into perspective, he is excited that last year was the first time in memory he can play with no pain.  Look at the way he walks - he is no longer pigeon toed due to strapping.

If he is happy to play at a reasonable level in his final years - without pain - why not let him!!

I have no control over Hewitt or anyone else. If he wants to play till he's 100, good luck to him.

You seem to make a big issue of his injuries, that somehow we should all be grateful that he's playing at all. Yes, if what you say is true, then it's a gutsy effort from him, and you wouldn't expect anything less. But that doesn't make him a player worth watching, it doesn't make him a good player, and it doesn't make any of his matches memorable.

I'll say it again. I like Hewitt. But seeing him become an average player really saddens me. Better to burn out than to fade away IMO.

Reply #36
Sam Stosur - Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
He would have a bucket load of money, I doubt it has anything to do with earning a living. Maybe he just loves playing tennis, has anyone thought of that?

Reply #38
He would have a bucket load of money, I doubt it has anything to do with earning a living. Maybe he just loves playing tennis, has anyone thought of that?

Exactly HB.

Only folk who love playing tennis could make the effort required to prepare for a tournament, let alone a Grand Slam tournament.

Lleyton is not my favourite Australian sportsperson but I do admire his resilience and determination.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Don't forget its all he has ever done at Professional level since he was 17 and probably since he was 8 years of age. try stopping someone doing what they have known best for 20 to 30 years. he would make an excellent coach in my opinion. He really knows what he is talking about.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #40
The Oracle spoke & the minions listened !!

Sam Stosur has the talent to be a genuine Top 10 ranked player in the world but never will be because she suffers from the thing that got Michael Hutchence into trouble.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #42
Unlike Sheik to leave an opportunity to kick someone this long

Reply #43
Booted out of the Aussie Open in the first round ................... again !!!

Straight sets too !!!

Don't go changing on my account Ms. Stosur !!

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #44
Booted out of the Aussie Open in the first round ................... again !!!

Straight sets too !!!

Don't go changing on my account Ms. Stosur !!

i watched 10 minutes - it was unbearable......she couldn't even flick a dead ball to one of the ball boys/girls with any skill....
Finals, then 4 in a row!