Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview) (Read 92589 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview)

Reply #180
Surely if he picks players who have shown some form then he improves the chances of getting a win. Continually rewarding players who give little or nothing is not the way to go !!

I'm just stating that he claims that he's committed, along with the MC, to selecting the team most likely in their judgement to win the forthcoming game.

I just don't know how he's evaluating the performance of individuals and how he's balancing form versus player experience/talent in working out the likelihood of how each might perform in the next game. I guess he's currently thinking that the guys he's retaining are more likely to improve and get a win than any available atm to bring in from the NBs - says very little about the quality of our depth atm, or at least his confidence in it. I guess also that the more games we may lose the more likely it becomes that he will eventually roll the dice and opt try others as replacements.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #181
We will win by 100 points.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #182

Could well be a blowout - we would surely be a lot more psyched up for this than the Lions?

Reply #184
The only thing I can deduce from those team changes is that Malthouse is purely coaching for a contract renewal, he doesn't have the club's best interests at heart.

Watson had a reasonable crack in the seconds and we know he can kick long & straight yet the Big Galoot gets a gig ahead of him. What chance does the guy have to show if he is worth keeping ??

If Gibbs can't be dropped for that lame-ass effort last week, then to what level does he have to stoop down to for it to ever happen ?? ******* protected species and a goddam disgraceful decision !!

We'll have some of the promising newbies wanting to leave soon enough, if they are putting in and not being rewarded for their effort then they will take their business elsewhere.

Fork tongue stuff again. MM says out of form blokes won't get a gig in this side... yet good old jelly spine Gibbs gets to play despite appalling softness and being a terrible liability.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #185

If we did what does that mean?
In some respects that's probably the kind of result we don't want....as we've seen before that kind of result just confuses and masks the real situation.
Folk say..... "look they can do it when they want to".
"Things aren't as bad as they seem".
"We could be Brisbane"

What I'd like to see is a close affair with us showing some signs of intensity, character.... and actually caring enough, to push us over the line.

Reply #186
I just feel that if the club knows that MM wont be here we are just wasting valuable time with him at the helm. Logudice has really backed us into a corner with his comment re Malthouse coaching out the year, it certainly hasn't stopped the speculation surrounding his job and it was foolish to think it would. Only wins stop speculation.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #187
I just feel that if the club knows that MM wont be here we are just wasting valuable time with him at the helm. Logudice has really backed us into a corner with his comment re Malthouse coaching out the year, it certainly hasn't stopped the speculation surrounding his job and it was foolish to think it would. Only wins stop speculation.

The problem with making the change now though, is that we then have a coach who...

-Won't be the senior coach next year, so anything he does differently will then have to be redone.
-May (likely to) get us a few wins and an improved effort...you know what happens then. We sign that bloke up on a three year contract without following due process once again.

On the other hand what do we have to lose by seeing this season out with Mick.

Membership is no longer an issue...that's basically done and dusted for the year.
On field we are at as low a level of performance as we've been since the Pagan years.
We can't get much worse there.

Much better to just let it go for this year and start with a completely fresh approach for 2016.
Hopefully that's not just at the coaching level.

The thing that really annoys me is that we're saying these things after round 5
Round screwing five!

Reply #188

Much better to just let it go for this year and start with a completely fresh approach for 2016.

I agree. Let' not make things over-complicated. Just see how things actually pan out and make our calls based on how things stand at season's end. Sacking the coach lets everyone else off the hook IMO. I wan't to see who's got the right stuff and who hasn't.

Reply #189
The problem with making the change now though, is that we then have a coach who...

-Won't be the senior coach next year, so anything he does differently will then have to be redone.
-May (likely to) get us a few wins and an improved effort...you know what happens then. We sign that bloke up on a three year contract without following due process once again.

Membership is no longer an issue...that's basically done and dusted for the year.
On field we are at as low a level of performance as we've been since the Pagan years.

Round screwing five!

You missed something too here Lods.

As unlikely as it is to occur, we may very well turn our season around and finish off playing finals.

As you say, its round 5.  It doesnt help that we are currently 1-4, but if we started playing some half decent football and hit targets for a change, we could conceivably end up with 10 wins for the season.

Malthouse appears to be trying to build the mentality of aiming for the stars, and if you fall short and hit the sky that's a better outcome than just putting the cue in the rack.

To be honest, that is more of what we need than any other tanking for draft picks.  what message are we sending our group when the answer is lose on purpose, get the draft pick that will likely see you out of the club, and/or replaced by that youngster coming into the system.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #190

Round screwing five!

2 seasons and 5 rounds...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #191
@ Thryleon
There is no way to sugar coat this. After all the positive hype in the off season, this group seemed to crumble under the expectation after qtr time of the Richmond game and have not recovered. The season was over then and there. Dont look at the NZ game, Upper Kumbuckta West could have beaten the Saints that day.  Make no mistake, 2015 is a write off and there is more turmoil to come at seasons end rest assured. Sunday could get ugly, Monday might be even uglier.

Reply #192
@ Thryleon
There is no way to sugar coat this. After all the positive hype in the off season, this group seemed to crumble under the expectation after qtr time of the Richmond game and have not recovered. The season was over then and there. Dont look at the NZ game, Upper Kumbuckta West could have beaten the Saints that day.  Make no mistake, 2015 is a write off and there is more turmoil to come at seasons end rest assured. Sunday could get ugly, Monday might be even uglier.

I'm not trying to sugar coat it, but I just don't see the point in giving up, less than a quarter into a season.  One quarter in and we are talking rebuilds, tanking, draft picks, because our club has shown that they don't believe in Malthouse, or the Boys to win, and then we want them to turn around and play like Gladiators?

I want our boys to believe.
I want them to believe that they could be good enough.
I want them to believe that they will go out there and actually compete hard.
I want them to believe that they can win.
I want them to believe, that they could conceivably go out there and win the rest of their games, and win a forking flag.
It's 21 vs 21 with a sub each.  A bit of luck and we can win most weeks provided the team plays with the requisite ability to hit targets, and play football for each other.

We have only lost 4 games for the year.

Premiership teams have lost more for the year and still won the flag.

It would take a change of attitude and execution of 180 degrees to achieve it, but we all can agree that 90% of that appears to be in the players minds and our club collectively having given up on season 2015 is not what I want to see from any level of our leadership which is Mark Lo Giudice's first major stuff up as president of our footy club, and Stephen Trigg's too.

The only good thing about it, is that the players now have the ability to play with absolutely no pressure on them.  Which should yield better results, but on this occasion is not, which does mean that they care about being written off and might not be happy about it.

Paul Hewson

Reply #193
I'm not trying to sugar coat it, but I just don't see the point in giving up, less than a quarter into a season.  One quarter in and we are talking rebuilds, tanking, draft picks, because our club has shown that they don't believe in Malthouse, or the Boys to win, and then we want them to turn around and play like Gladiators?

I want our boys to believe.
I want them to believe that they could be good enough.
I want them to believe that they will go out there and actually compete hard.
I want them to believe that they can win.
I want them to believe, that they could conceivably go out there and win the rest of their games, and win a forking flag.
It's 21 vs 21 with a sub each.  A bit of luck and we can win most weeks provided the team plays with the requisite ability to hit targets, and play football for each other.

We have only lost 4 games for the year.

Premiership teams have lost more for the year and still won the flag.

It would take a change of attitude and execution of 180 degrees to achieve it, but we all can agree that 90% of that appears to be in the players minds and our club collectively having given up on season 2015 is not what I want to see from any level of our leadership which is Mark Lo Giudice's first major stuff up as president of our footy club, and Stephen Trigg's too.

The only good thing about it, is that the players now have the ability to play with absolutely no pressure on them.  Which should yield better results, but on this occasion is not, which does mean that they care about being written off and might not be happy about it.
I didnt mean you were trying to sugarcoat it, I meant I wasnt going to sugar coat it. Ahh never mind...

Reply #194
Ahh right you are.

Apologies, Im very frustrated with this football team at the moment, and sure the coach might play a part, but they are dead set going through the motions, and that is completely inexcusable for a team that is supposed to go out to win matches every week.

Its pathetic.

Paul Hewson