Skip to main content
Topic: R7. Blues V Pies (Read 68185 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R7. Blues V Pies

Reply #165
Contrast it to how Hawthorn went about getting off the bottom of the ladder (they were rooted there for a few years late 90's early 2000's) and rather than shortcut, they put a plan in motion that has seen them continually striving to be the best club that they can be, and they are reaping the rewards for that.  I would say we only did this briefly whilst Dick Pratt was involved, and aside from that have been caught up in chasing a flag to the detriment of our club.

Seriously though, in the early 2000s the Dawks benefited greatly from our exclusion from the draft which was coincident with them being given more of the AFLs discretionary priority picks than God!

The greatness of the Dawks system is a myth!

PP in those years weren't at the discretion of the AFL, you either met the criteria or you didn't and the criteria was public knowledge.

Reply #166
Hawthorn's success is down to their coach.
I wish this were not the case, but Clarkson has done wonders with this side.
I still dislike the little faex for his ruining the career of Ian Aitken, but that is another issue. He has done very well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #167
PP in those years weren't at the discretion of the AFL, you either met the criteria or you didn't and the criteria was public knowledge.

Fremantle had to seek approval from the league to be allowed to trade their priority picks to Hawthorn for Trent Croad if I recall, and were given the all clear by the AFL. Hawthorn will claim that was Fremantle's decision, but without it Hawthorn would have got nada!

The Dawks cried and cried like they were losing four Gary Ablett Jnrs, not one spud defender who was on his broken down death bed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168
Seems more of a rule clarification than anything else, are you saying the AFL may have blocked that trade for another side? I don'tthink that's the case and one circumstance  doesn't qualify as "  given more of the AFLs discretionary priority picks than God!"

Reply #169
Contrast it to how Hawthorn went about getting off the bottom of the ladder (they were rooted there for a few years late 90's early 2000's) and rather than shortcut, they put a plan in motion that has seen them continually striving to be the best club that they can be, and they are reaping the rewards for that.  I would say we only did this briefly whilst Dick Pratt was involved, and aside from that have been caught up in chasing a flag to the detriment of our club.

Seriously though, in the early 2000s the Dawks benefited greatly from our exclusion from the draft which was coincident with them being given more of the AFLs discretionary priority picks than God!

The greatness of the Dawks system is a myth!

They had a vision, and they executed that vision using the means open to them and right now are a lucrative outfit that are a lot better than the club that almost merged and moved to Tasmania.

Not only did they have a vision, they had the conviction to stick to it, and build upon it not clinging to the fact that this is what got them where they were.  They have adapted and traded shrewdly, they have used marketing to build themselves into a big club (the Tasmanian market has been well and truly cornered).

If you look at their premiership team in 2008, you will see the beginnings of that team and framework as early as 2002.  They didnt even look at their list.  They looked at their club.  Got in a president who had a clear vision on making Hawthorn "the family club"  and selling their brand which the AFL loved.  This helped the game and they have been looked after accordingly.

What incentive have Carlton provided the AFL to look after them?  Nothing.  We brought scrutiny of the fairness of the competition by our trangressions and this has helped breed an anti carlton agenda.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
Has anyone else heard that Maxwell might have a ? against his name for tonight??

Reply #171
How about we stick to the topic and none of this HAWTHORN crap. ::)

Reply #172
Seems more of a rule clarification than anything else, are you saying the AFL may have blocked that trade for another side?

Would they have approved it for us?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
Has anyone else heard that Maxwell might have a ? against his name for tonight??

Robbo (mark) on Twitter says Waite may be out and so is Maxwell.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #174
Yep I've heard Waite is gone too.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #175
Waite  out  I hope its not true ,that means Watson comes in,Clokes bitch  >:D 

Reply #176
So it's just gone from a 40+ point loss to a 60+ point loss....great, just fcking great.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #177
Waite  out  I hope its not true ,that means Watson comes in,Clokes bitch  >:D

What if we played Watson Forward?

I think the Collingwood backline would struggle with that matchup.

In any case, I think we should probably bring in a small rather than a tall anyway as its likely to be the team with more run that wins tonight given the conditions.  ITs cold and wet.

Also, forecasting a win for tonight.  These guys were flattered last week.  The Bombers only played one quarter and belted these guys easily during it, and then Collingwood lifted the intensity but blokes like Maxwell lead the way.  If he is out, Toovey is also out all of a sudden their backline looks ordinary and they too will be robbing Peter to pay Paul having to shift Goldsack back.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #178
If Waite is out, I'd rather bring Doc in & try run them off their feet. Especially in the weather. Don't need another tall. Hendo & Levi forward is enough. Get Menz & Jeffy around their feet in this weather.

Collingwood are too tall as it is. 2 lumbering rucks won't help them. Our aim should be to run then off their feet.

Reply #179
Seems more of a rule clarification than anything else, are you saying the AFL may have blocked that trade for another side?

Would they have approved it for us?

Mate, they would have come to the party with bells on if there was even a waft in the air of us giving away our priority pick  >:D