Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59928 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #315
We cant afford to sack Bolton after our strategy of the last 4 years.

We would look absolutely rudderless,  reactive and like we have gone through a process only to get it so badly wrong it could only have been faked.

I'd be calling a review of everything at end of season and doing nothing else aside from signaling the beginning of it now.

We already look absolutely rudderless....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #316
People have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, and so look for public, visible signs that the club is taking action. Sacking the coach is one such visible sign, because then the club looks like it's doing something ? Turn it up.

We've been down this road numerous times. As Elwood says, do a proper review / audit like the Pies and Tigers, use the same mob they used, and I'll bet they find that the problem isn't the senior coach. But no, we're Carlton, so behaving professionally and wearing some heat simply isn't possible.

Reply #317
Quite apart from that, what decent prospective coach will actually want the job ? They'll have no time to settle in, because the board and dumb fans are tired of waiting, and want success right now. They'll have two club legends breathing down their necks, with one of those legends having two sons on the list, possibly a third by the time the new coach settles in etc.

Crazy.

Reply #318
People have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, and so look for public, visible signs that the club is taking action. Sacking the coach is one such visible sign, because then the club looks like it's doing something ? Turn it up.

We've been down this road numerous times. As Elwood says, do a proper review / audit like the Pies and Tigers, use the same mob they used, and I'll bet they find that the problem isn't the senior coach. But no, we're Carlton, so behaving professionally and wearing some heat simply isn't possible.

What makes you so sure it’s not the senior coach?
What has he done so well?

Reply #321
What makes you so sure it’s not the senior coach?
What has he done so well?

Look at the Pies and Tigers, and look at our last 20 years, and then get back to me.

Reply #324
Look at the Pies and Tigers, and look at our last 20 years, and then get back to me.

No similarity at all with pies and tigers.
They were winning games, we don’t look like it.
Look at our results and look at the lions.
Changed coaches and change of direction.

You need more evidence than that

Reply #325
No similarity at all with pies and tigers.
They were winning games, we don’t look like it.
Look at our results and look at the lions.
Changed coaches and change of direction.

You need more evidence than that

The staring point is not relevant. Both Tigers and Pies were either stagnating or going backwards under Dimma and Buckley. Hence their respective reviews, and the conclusion that the coaches had to stay, but needed to modify their methods, or get additional and more appropriate support.

The Lions have won a handful of games more than us, and just got smashed by Essendon. Hardly a persuasive case.

Reply #326
In fact, since 2016, the Lions have won 16 games, and we've won 15.

Reply #327

A few on here have touted the lack of a Hodge type, ACoS provided glimpses of what that sort of aggression can bring to he team, it's not about who is leader or role model but an attitude.

To many it's obvious what we lack, yet we seem disinterested in that type of player.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #328

Yet now make us look like amateurs

We can go on like this all day.

Simple answer is, BB has done nothing at all to show he can coach.
Some like him because he is a teacher and has a softer side than most coaches.

I don't believe that will cut it, he needs a lot of ability and he isn't showing any of it.

Coaches need to be tough and ruthless, not in a cruel way, but non negotiable's on the basics cannot be brushed over.
We saw on Sunday that Bolton does not have that stuff sorted after 3 years.

Reply #329

I think that Liddle’s comments provide the best summary.  He basically said that blaming Bolton was wrong as the situation the club is in is the responsibility of everyone involved. 

If Bolton was to be sacked (and I doubt that will happen unless we don’t climb the ladder in 2020), the players, the board, administration, assistant coaches, list managers, fitness staff and the bootstudder must be sacked too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball