Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 62343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #210
Is Fisher achieving the same efficiency in addition to the same number of possessions?

If I made a subject assessment I'd think he's getting the footy as much as ever but he's not using it as well as last season, he's under more pressure this year. At least that is how it appears to me! :o

Accurate.  The stats show his clangers are up, but by the same token last season he was getting it more uncontested and this year he is more contested.

It shows he is working more inside than outside as well as wearing more pressure whilst in the process of taking posession.

Hence the decrease in efficiency.

Its all anecdotal anyway.  He is not as bad as advertised, and is playing as well as he can.

We play well in patches because we seem to do the team thing, playing the roles each player has been given. Then for some reason the team goes into shock or sleep and goes through the motions only to snap out of it to play well again to unluckily fall short.
Like Harford said with the girls, if they all follow the team plan for 4q then the reults will come and they did (except for the last game).
Play your role, follow the team game.
This is all being said hoping BB knows the Team's Plan first.  :o

I think this is a symptom of what our opposition are doing too. We are on top when we have our more experienced players doing the heavy lifting (Say Cripps and Murphy with SPS in tow) whilst in other rotations, (where its walsh, dow and Cripps) we might be facing our oppositions strongest on ball division.  Hence why our competitiveness drops off.  Its that transition.  When we can start taking one out, and bringing one in, with little effect our competitiveness will remarkably improve.

This is one way you know our issues are not coaching related.  Under Malthouse, by his third year, it was glaringly apparent that the only time we were competitive was when our opposition wasnt.  At the moment, our opposition is competitive, but we are simply being outgunned by more experienced players because we field a team who are simply less battle hardened and rely on older players that simply cannot stand up week in and week out.

Its also why Brisbane are "further ahead".  Their youth isnt as young and inexperienced as ours and their older players are 24/7 contributers as opposed to our lot that dont show up every week.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #211
Its all anecdotal anyway.  He is not as bad as advertised, and is playing as well as he can.

Yep, plus we have to expect anyway that his role has changed with Setterfield and Walsh in there, ignoring the rule changes as well!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #212
Wo, wo, wo... not so quick  ;)

I don't see the senior coach as the single problem. Nuh. He's doing the best he can with what he knows. He comes out with shallow, ambiguous, psychobabble phrases and cliches but who's to know whether or not he's being fed these to keep the gullible supporters at bay by someone else at the club? It's just that when your team is consistently and persistently losing, the buck has to stop somewhere. And not to replace someone just so it doesn't seem like the 'old Carlton' has returned is absolute bullshizen.

Just for the record I think we have a few problems, from the outside looking in.

Over the past few seasons we've tried to nail some quality players only to be out done by others on every occasion. Just a couple of A graders, mid 20s going around would have helped. We apparently set up a philanthropic organisation some years ago to help relieve GWS of their non-hackers and chronically injured. So SOS hasn't performed well enough in my view - holy cr@p, I've had a go at another Bambi! Sheesh, talk about keyboard masochism!!!

I suspect that Barker is deadwood and should have moved on years ago.

A divided Board. One of them, a key player, makes piles of loot from human suffering and illness (gambling). Yeah, I can just hear some say, "Well no-one is forcing them to gamble... and it's legal." A fool's response. A response devoid of emotional intelligence and common decency. Not to mention psychological ignorance... convenient ignorance.

Comfortable assistant coaches. Most have coached in their own right. Why didn't they progress? Why did they fall back into assistant coaching? Huge cleanout needed there. Get some mongrel, uncompromising, razor blade eating, ambitious folks into key assistant roles... that includes women, there are some ripper female brains -- who've not been snapped up by the AFLW -- out there deserving a serious opportunity at the highest level.

The head of football, Juddy, has one single love and one single love only (outside his family, presumably) - money. Seems to be his real passion, lights up like Julian Clary on tour when the subject of investment and money comes up. He likes to rub shoulders with wealthy influential people to further his own 'portfolio'... and there is nothing wrong with that, some just love money. Juddy would be a great investment banker, and have no doubts had the Pratt Family been at Rottingwood, he'd have gone there. As for head of footy at PP, jury is out. Sh1te, I've done it again... I've taken aim at another Bambi!

So, who knows, maybe BB is holding the can / taking the heat for a measure of incompetence right through the place. But the buck stops somewhere.

Time will tell, and many aboard the good ship CFC should notice that there's not only a senior coach gang plank being put in place. If this rebuild doesn't work (looking like it) then many should be 'walking the plank.'

So Bolton is no good because of his cliches, SOS is no good because he recruits injured discards and won't sell the farm for the likes of Shiel, Barker is deadwood, Mathieson profits from people's misery, assistant coaches are too comfy, and Judd is money grubby. Then you say " the buck stops somewhere", but thereafter many should be walking the plank, so there's a bucks and a few somewheres ?

I think I understand.

Reply #213
We started a ground up rebuild from rock bottom - couldn't have been much lower. This would have to be the absolute worst place to have to start such a fundamental rebuild from, as there was little foundation to build on - we had to reconstruct the even the foundations. The original sin was that the club was allowed to sink that low in the first place. Unfortunately we have a long way to go yet and frustrations will continue to get worse - much worse possibly. BB is under the pump as far as many supporters go - I don't know how deep this runs within the club itself or how long the powers that be are willing to suffer our winless state of affairs. However, if this rebuild is abandoned or fails then not only BB will be in danger but also the architects of the rebuild, including all those that hired BB to be a part of it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #214
Bolton....jury out but the prosecution case getting stronger.
SOS...Jury out still and you have to factor in development(which he has no control of) before you can judge his finished products.....the GWS component of his recruiting probably under more scrutiny than his overall recruiting at this stage.
Barker...guilty as charged, tactically we are not real flash and not providing the support Bolton IMHO needs hence Walls part time involvement.......
Mathieson.....yep does profit from others misery and we should dump him and his poker machines....he is a neanderthal and been a constant during our dark years....
Judd....does like his coin and is business orientated but that is his business and I'm more interested in what he contributes to the club than his cash management account.
           What was he doing mentoring Zac Merrett in 2016...that probably wouldnt qualify you for head of my football dept, we paid and looked after him well via the Pratts
           and I value loyalty to the cause.

Assistant coaches.....I'd review their positions every year as due course of business anyway.......those in charge of pre planning, scouting the opposition would be scouting their local Centrelink and I would make those roles a priority to fill with the best available as its been a weak area for years...

Reply #215
What most non Carlton people don't understand, or conveniently overlook, is that we virtually rebuilt the whole Club from the ground up. It started with Trigg came in and identified the embarrassingly old way the Club was set up and run.
Reckon Bolts was the right candidate to get us through the rebuild stage, as he's a good communicator with the players and was exactly what we needed following the out of date methods of Mick.
Whether he's the guy to take us that next step is up for debate. So far, looks like his match day tactics are a massive area of weakness. Could ve done with a senior assistant like Caracella this year.
Happy with the job SOS has done. My only complaint with him is we used to always find some great diamonds in the rough from our Rookie List like Jamo, Tuohy, Thornton etc. That has pretty much stopped under SOS. Also not factoring the plethora of 'steak knives' players like Sumner, Kerridge, Smedts etc who've come and gone from the club (the media is obsessed with them every time they try to debate our recruiting under SOS), but was Kennedy worth a Pick 16 and O Brien worth a Top 10er ?

Reply #216
For people wondering where the improvement will come from, lets look at our B+F from last year.

1st - Patrick Cripps (166 votes) - Still rock solid, probably even improved!

2nd - Kade Simpson (108 votes) - Struggling a bit

3rd - Ed Curnow, Charlie Curnow (98 votes) - Ed would be down on his efforts last year, Charlie definitely down

5th - Dale Thomas (71 votes) - Maybe not as good as last year, but not terrible this year.

6th - Liam Jones (48 votes) - Possibly lifted his game this year. Was a bit up and down last year.

7th - Zac Fisher (47 votes) - Tracking about the same as last year

8th - Sam Rowe (43 votes) - GONE

9th - Matthew Wright (39 votes) - GONE

10th - Marc Murphy (39 votes) - Injured for a lot of last year, but down on form this season

What does it mean?
Plenty of old heads in that bunch. 2 are gone. Murphy, Simpson, IMO Ed and down on last years effort and some might argue Daisy as well. That is 5 or 6 of last years top 10, being the OLD GUARD.

From the others...
Jones (although 28) has probably improved.
Fisher coming back from injury is probably about the same
Cripps has probably gone to a category ABOVE elite.
Charlie has been struggling.

So 3 from the 4 younger group have been solid or better....with Charlie still lacking.

Who have been our best players this year?
Cripps
Walsh (obviously not around last year)
Weitering
SPS
McKay

....insert kids name here.

Conclusion....
Results show little improvement on the win/loss sheet. However, looking at individuals, its pretty clear that the younger brigade are starting to pull their weight now and the older brigade are struggling to match previous efforts.

Basically, we are in a transition stage. You need to look at the individuals to see what our results mean, not look at the results in isolation.

End result...
Back off Bolts, its all going to plan...

Reply #217
So Bolton is no good because of his cliches, SOS is no good because he recruits injured discards and won't sell the farm for the likes of Shiel, Barker is deadwood, Mathieson profits from people's misery, assistant coaches are too comfy, and Judd is money grubby. Then you say " the buck stops somewhere", but thereafter many should be walking the plank, so there's a bucks and a few somewheres ?

I think I understand.

I don't think you do, your conclusions are way too simplistic, look a little deeper and try some more objective, critical thinking. But if blind faith and simplicity work for you, knock yourself out.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #218
For people wondering where the improvement will come from, lets look at our B+F from last year.

3rd - Ed Curnow, Charlie Curnow (98 votes) - Ed would be down on his efforts last year, Charlie definitely down

5th - Dale Thomas (71 votes) - Maybe not as good as last year, but not terrible this year.

6th - Liam Jones (48 votes) - Possibly lifted his game this year. Was a bit up and down last year.

10th - Marc Murphy (39 votes) - Injured for a lot of last year, but down on form this season

What does it mean?
Plenty of old heads in that bunch. 2 are gone. Murphy, Simpson, IMO Ed and down on last years effort and some might argue Daisy as well. That is 5 or 6 of last years top 10, being the OLD GUARD.

From the others...

So 3 from the 4 younger group have been solid or better....with Charlie still lacking.

Cripps
Weitering
SPS
McKay

Conclusion....
Results show little improvement on the win/loss sheet. However, looking at individuals, its pretty clear that the younger brigade are starting to pull their weight now and the older brigade are struggling to match previous efforts.

Basically, we are in a transition stage. You need to look at the individuals to see what our results mean, not look at the results in isolation.

End result...

Yep.  Hence why we wont become a force until 2021.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #219
I don't think you do, your conclusions are way too simplistic, look a little deeper and try some more objective, critical thinking. But if blind faith and simplicity work for you, knock yourself out.

Funny.

Reply #220

What does it mean?

From the others...

Cripps
Weitering
SPS
McKay

Conclusion....

End result...

So abject failure is the plan.  ???
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #222
So abject failure is the plan.  ???

Push the senior players to the periphery and let the kids start to take over. Its working.

All we need now is for our kids to grow out of being kids....and with that comes the rise to the top.

....if, of course, you don't have a hissy fit and sack the coach first.

Reply #223
Push the senior players to the periphery and let the kids start to take over. Its working.

All we need now is for our kids to grow out of being kids....and with that comes the rise to the top.

....if, of course, you don't have a hissy fit and sack the coach first.

I don't think anyone is thinking hissy fit. The reality is that all the odds are stacked against Bolton though.

Reply #224
I don't think anyone is thinking hissy fit. The reality is that all the odds are stacked against Bolton though.

Are they though? All stacked against him??

Yes, he has been copping some heat of late, most of which i'm failing to see why. 10 goal loss, sure. More scoring shots and lose, not the time to be going after him.

Anywho...
Just because some people are coming for him, does that make them right? The vocal minority is a big worry.

Ask the US about voting in Trump.
Ask the UK about voting for Brexit.

Vocal minorities can do dangerous things, and in many cases its best we ignore them and keep on our merry way.