Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 List Changes (Read 18947 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 List Changes

Reply #105
Wow, Picks 2, 12, 22 and 30 for 1 player.
Either they think they ve got enough young talent on their list, or they re insane.
Talk about selling the farm.

Reply #106
Wow, Picks 2, 12, 22 and 30 for 1 player.
Either they think they ve got enough young talent on their list, or they re insane.
Talk about selling the farm.

Re-read my earlier post...
Pick 2, 26, 44, 59
is what we got from the pies.

EDIT: I see where you got your numbers from now. Its a little bit sneaky. Those numbers are from the VIC pool of players.

To explain, the draft is not the same as the mens.
Vic teams can only choose from players who nominate for the Vic draft pool.
WA teams can only choose WA nominated players etc.

Last year as an example, Maddie Prespakis nominated for the VIC pool of the draft and NOT the Geelong pool (whatever that was called). So Geelong, despite having picks 1 and 2 could NOT select Maddie. So we swooped with pick 3, knowing all along that she was going to be available to us no matter what Geelong did.
So Maddie was taken pick 3, but was pick 1 in the vic draft.

Reply #107
I thought AFLW draftees were not required to nominate a state, but if they nominate a state only teams from that state can pick them up. If they don't get an offer they cannot back-flip!

So it's a double edged sword, particularly for lower ranked players, they get to play roughly where they like but they have less chance of being picked up if they do nominate a state!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
I thought AFLW draftees were not required to nominate a state, but if they nominate a state only teams from that state can pick them up. If they don't get an offer they cannot back-flip!

So it's a double edged sword, particularly for lower ranked players, they get to play roughly where they like but they have less chance of being picked up if they do nominate a state!

I'm not sure if they have to nominate a state or not. I know you could nominate 2 (or more?) states previously and not sure if thats changed.

Point is, top end talent want to play where they want to play and you can't get a player who hasn't nominated for your pool. ie Prespakis and Geelong.

Reply #109
I'm not sure if they have to nominate a state or not. I know you could nominate 2 (or more?) states previously and not sure if thats changed.

Point is, top end talent want to play where they want to play and you can't get a player who hasn't nominated for your pool. ie Prespakis and Geelong.

I didn't realise they could nominate two, I thought it was one or none, none being Australia wide!

But it makes perfect sense to be able to nominate options where you can take a job, given they are part-timers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Its good to see the club has already started wiping Bri Daveys image from the website banners.

Sarah Hosking and Darcy Vescio have replaced Davey, with Doc and Cripps still holding the fort for the mens.

A prediction on 2020 captaincy?

Reply #111
Its good to see the club has already started wiping Bri Daveys image from the website banners.

Sarah Hosking and Darcy Vescio have replaced Davey, with Doc and Cripps still holding the fort for the mens.

A prediction on 2020 captaincy?

Maybe more left field, Harrington or Pound?

If Sarah Hosking had signed for two years she probably be an option, but do you want your club captain potentially to leave two years running?

Harrington looks welded on, I also like the long term look of Dalton or Walker, leadership group material or back to the Australia when it calls?

I must admit I am a fan of defenders as leaders.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
Maybe more left field, Harrington?

Not really left field at all.

Davey was captain - gone.
Audley was in the leadership group - gone

The remaining 4 from the leadership group are....
S. Hosking
Vescio
Loynes
Harrington

Reply #113

S. Hosking
Vescio
Loynes
Harrington

Just that Harrington is probably the least media orientated of the lot, but I like her football, she is the Docherty of Carlton's AFLW team! A no bullcrap, just get on with the job type, and she acts like she has been there before which makes her appear like she belongs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #114
Just that Harrington is probably the least media orientated of the lot, but I like her football, she is the Docherty of Carlton's AFLW team! A no bullcrap, just get on with the job type, and she acts like she has been there before which makes her appear like she belongs!

You don't have to sell her to me, i'm a big fan.

I bought her match worn pride guernsey, autographed and all. ;)

In all honesty, she'd be my vote for captain.

Reply #115
You don't have to sell her to me, i'm a big fan.

I bought her match worn pride guernsey, autographed and all. ;)

In all honesty, she'd be my vote for captain.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #116

S. Hosking
Vescio
Loynes
Harrington
Loynes or Hosking for mine
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #117
It'll probably be one of Hosking or Vescio.
Of the two my choice would be Hosking.

But I do also like the idea of Harrington

Reply #118
Loynes is getting a bit long in the tooth for mine. Performance wise she dropped off after a brilliant first 2 rounds. Might be forced out of the team next year if the decline continues.

Vescio seems to be the joker of the group. Not sure she'll like having to have her serious face on as much as would be required by the captain.

S. Hosing stepped up in daveys absence previously, so could do so again. However, she only signed a 1year deal and that has me spooked somewhat.

Harrington, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to have any negatives.

Perhaps a smokey not from our current leadership group could be Stevens.

Reply #119
Harris seems a likely type.  Speaks well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson