Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 so far (Read 25523 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 so far

Reply #150
SPS is a midfielder IMO and a waste on the HBF and he doesnt defend anyway and is purely a rebounder IMO, its given him some confidence etc but with Docherty back its time for him to return to the midfield.
I feel SPS has a problem that affects both his roles, the HBF as well as in the Midfield, he's too laconic.

When there is a turnover he is slow to react to the change in the direction of play, so when the game is heavily contested and continually flipping direction he becomes increasingly disconnected to the play. He's fine when it's all in front of him and he can just hunt the footy, but the minute the pill starts to bounce about it's like watching a pong puck on Valium!

I can see that in the long term the same people that hated watching Gibbs will grow to hate SPS.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
On 3AW this morning, John Anderson predicted Cripps for the Brownlow and for Rising Star - Liam Stocker.  He said that a club insider who happened to have won a couple of Brownlows himself (read Diesel....) has high expectations.  We can only hope.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #152
On 3AW this morning, John Anderson predicted Cripps for the Brownlow and for Rising Star - Liam Stocker.  He said that a club insider who happened to have won a couple of Brownlows himself (read Diesel....) has high expectations.  We can only hope.....
I reckon Crippa hasnt peaked yet and Diesel knows this. If he cant stay fit and healthy, he will be the best the player in the comp (yes even better than Dusty). As for Stocko, I see something really special with him, apart from the fact he has a heap of c%&$ in him, he has his head screwed on and I reckon he will be a future leader of our club. Exciting times ahead.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #153
All we need is for all 22, whoever they may be, to deliver four quarters of football!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
Having  no injuries would be a bonus .

Reply #155
Exactly as I see it.
SPS must be more of a mid.
Has all the attributes and we need mids.
Williamson, when fit will outperform the others as he is tough, and can defend properly.
His kicking is a weapon

Pretty confident the time SPS spent in defence was only to build his game and give him time to learn and develop without the bash and crash of playing in an undermanned midfield.

Been in the system 4 years now so apprenticeship is over, like McGrath at the cheats see him spending a lot more time next to Cripps provided Doc holds up.  

Reply #156
Depending on how he pulls up over the next week or so, Tom Williamson has penciled himself in for a Round 1 start, but I'm not sure where I can fit Simmo in. Jones, Weitering, Newman, Docherty, SPS, Williamson, Marchbank, Plowman, Simpson (plus they have been grooming Poulson as a small lock down defender). Do you run Simmo off the bench or is that a waste of a space?

Reply #157
Depending on how he pulls up over the next week or so, Tom Williamson has penciled himself in for a Round 1 start, but I'm not sure where I can fit Simmo in. Jones, Weitering, Newman, Docherty, SPS, Williamson, Marchbank, Plowman, Simpson (plus they have been grooming Poulson as a small lock down defender). Do you run Simmo off the bench or is that a waste of a space?

Comes back to who we might be playing.  His experience and read of play is worth its weight in platinum but this should be his last year.

Reply #158
These questions go to the heart of the Betts/Simmo debate.

If they finds themselves on the fringe, are they still worth the price?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159
Richmond are a bit different to line up against, I'd expect players like Short and Houli to be manned up with defensive forwards.
Simpson is a lock to play IMO especially given their plethora of small forwards....
Marchbank might start in the NB's IMO.

Reply #160
This is an interesting conundrum. We picked 7 defenders in every game last year, and I assume we'll continue to do the same. 9 doesn't go into 7. With Marchbank not having trained since Christmas I have grave doubts about him being selected in Round 1. If he does, they've spoken about him playing on the wing, so I don't think he'll be selected as a defender for round 1. Jones and Weitering definitely in, assuming Weitering gets over his hip problem, but the club made noises that it wasn't serious. Plowman is our best lockdown defender, and is a certainty to play. Docherty will play if he gets through the Marsh games intact. Simpson will play in my opinion, we need his leadership. I agree that Williamson will play IF he gets through the two March games intact, he is what we need against that small fast forward line. That leaves one spot between Newman and SPS, and i would go for SPS. Neither are very good one on one defenders, but I think SPS has more creativity running off half back and uses the ball better (mind you Newman uses it pretty well too). Tough decision, will be interesting to see which way they go

Reply #161
Jones and Weitering will play, Docherty, Plowman and Simpson will play, SPS, Newman and Newnes will play, and Marchbank will play. Williamson, as good as he played last Thursday, is number 10 in the batting order. SPS Newman and Newnes will have runs through the midfield as well as playing in defence.

Reply #162
Jones and Weitering will play, Docherty, Plowman and Simpson will play, SPS, Newman and Newnes will play, and Marchbank will play. Williamson, as good as he played last Thursday, is number 10 in the batting order. SPS Newman and Newnes will have runs through the midfield as well as playing in defence.
Just my opinion but out of SPS and Willo, I'll pick Willo every day of the week. SPS chooses when to turn up, Willo when fit and healthy goes hard all day. Again, just my opinion. I am not sold on SPS yet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #163
yeah, Willo is a natural back flanker.  SPS can slot in as a small anywhere on the ground.  Newnes is a winger.

just my back 6 if all available and in form :

Plow, Weiters, Newman
Willo, Jones, Doc

Then one of Simmo or Marchy on the bench, depending on how tall the opposition fwd line is.

Guaranteed there will be injury or form concerns at stages, which leaves SPS, Newnes, Goddard, Stocker as backups with a bit of shuffling.  I reckon Brodie Kemp might find his way back there in the coming years too.

Reply #164
Tragic....I'd be happy with that back 6 with Simpson as the 7th defender. Tigers have a smallish forward line so Marchbank probably misses out on that fact alone. And despite suggestions he might play more of a wing role, Marchbank will have quite a few in front of him for those positions. Really hope Willo can stay fit. Slotting him into defence along with Docherty is such a boost....one replaces Thomas and the other frees up SPS to play more in the midfield or on a wing. And we've still got Stocker to hopefully try and fit in there this year as well. Yes, there'll be injuries so we won't have everyone available but it's a lot brighter already.....we finished strongly last year and have effectively added Williamson, Docherty, Betts and Martin. Charlie is a loss for sure and probably just reinforces how important Casboult is to our team. He can play a number of roles but will be pencilled in to play forward and backup ruckman.