Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS (Read 23008 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS

Reply #135
From that article :

He said the club’s faith in Bolton stemmed from the belief success came by “sticking together”.

“There’s plenty of evidence which shows that clubs which stick together ultimately win and enjoy success,” he said.

“They’re the facts. Clubs that stick together, and I’m talking board, coaches, players, members, supporters, sponsors, I mean the nucleus of a football club, those who stick together and support ultimately enjoy great success.”

“Let’s not individualise, as a footy club it is extremely challenging … extremely,” he said. “But that’s no problem, you have to live and die by that.

“It’s a patience game and it’s easy to say and hard to do. Remember, GWS went through all this by the way.”

FINALLY !! Woo Hoo !! I can't believe I actually read that, from a CFC President.

Let's hope it's true.

Now, please sort of the umpire and MRO nonsense.

Paul, this is where your arguments falls (entirely) flat on its face - see attachment.

As we surge towards another Spoon!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #136
Paul, this is where your arguments falls (entirely) flat on its face - see attachment.

As we surge towards another Spoon!

Yes, I was quite aware of where GWS finished in 2015. But I've given my opinion on the differences between them and us in various posts scattered around this forum, and there's no need to repeat them here.

My feelings in the off season is that we would finish bottom 2 in 2019. Because the amount of upheaval and the number of kids, lack of senior players etc. would all take a toll. In my view this is a development / consolidating year, and in 2020 is where things get better. Clearly nobody sees any fun in that, so it's all systems go with the sack Bolton routine.

Reply #137
From that article :

He said the club’s faith in Bolton stemmed from the belief success came by “sticking together”.

“There’s plenty of evidence which shows that clubs which stick together ultimately win and enjoy success,” he said.

“They’re the facts. Clubs that stick together, and I’m talking board, coaches, players, members, supporters, sponsors, I mean the nucleus of a football club, those who stick together and support ultimately enjoy great success.”

“Let’s not individualise, as a footy club it is extremely challenging … extremely,” he said. “But that’s no problem, you have to live and die by that.

“It’s a patience game and it’s easy to say and hard to do. Remember, GWS went through all this by the way.”

FINALLY !! Woo Hoo !! I can't believe I actually read that, from a CFC President.

Let's hope it's true.

Now, please sort of the umpire and MRO nonsense.

There's a lot more evidence that says Bolton has no clue.
He is in his fourth year and about to win another spoon.
Silvagni should also be under the pump.
Under size midfielders don't cut it.
The club is in a bad way and we have a farking property developer running the joint, and a useless pokie owner that sits on the Gold Coast calling the shots from afar.

Could it get any worse

Reply #138
Yes, I was quite aware of where GWS finished in 2015. But I've given my opinion on the differences between them and us in various posts scattered around this forum, and there's no need to repeat them here.

My feelings in the off season is that we would finish bottom 2 in 2019. Because the amount of upheaval and the number of kids, lack of senior players etc. would all take a toll. In my view this is a development / consolidating year, and in 2020 is where things get better. Clearly nobody sees any fun in that, so it's all systems go with the sack Bolton routine.

Well that puts you at odds with the club. They anticipated considerably better than that.

And the assumption from the President that if you 'stick together' then you will ultimately win and enjoy success is the stuff of fairy-tales - there's as much evidence to invalidate such a claim as there is to support such a claim. You only need look at the Federal Election to know how fallacious such a wish is. Ah, if it were only that simple. And it is simplistic thinking.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #139
Sticking together with the right plan and personnel is great - without those it makes not one jot of difference to the eventual and inevitable outcome. I'm speaking generally here.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #140

Paul, exactly what has Bolton done at any stage in his senior coaching career that you consider meritorious? My thoughts?

1. Fast tracked the development of numerous kids? I think Dow, Charlie Curnow, SPS, LOB - backwards.
2. Got the best out of some recycled types? Fas and Lang dwelling in the 2s
3. Got the best out of his senior players or reinvented them? Ed C as a small forward - SURELY YOU'RE TAKING THE PISS?
4. Made some match winning game day moves? Must have been asleep - missed it!

I'd go as far as FOUR big nos.

I'd go further and say a bunch of banana charged monkeys making random (clueless) decisions would have led to more wins....

The ONLY reason you wouldn't sack him - and most of his assistants - is that:

1. There is no obvious replacement; and
2. Too much egg on the faces of MLG, Judd etc.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #141
Paul, exactly what has Bolton done at any stage in his senior coaching career that you consider meritorious? My thoughts?

1. Fast tracked the development of numerous kids? I think Dow, Charlie Curnow, SPS, LOB - backwards.
3. Got the best out of his senior players or reinvented them? Ed C as a small forward - SURELY YOU'RE TAKING THE PISS?

I'd go further and say a bunch of banana charged monkeys making random (clueless) decisions would have led to more wins....

I think you miss the point though Fly.
Bolton is a teacher with a teachers back ground.
It's all about the love fest

Reply #142
Well that puts you at odds with the club. They anticipated considerably better than that.

And the assumption from the President that if you 'stick together' then you will ultimately win and enjoy success is the stuff of fairy-tales - there's as much evidence to invalidate such a claim as there is to support such a claim. You only need look at the Federal Election to know how fallacious such a wish is. Ah, if it were only that simple. And it is simplistic thinking.

And that's why they were prepared to trade their 1st round pick...

If we had finished 11-14th and the Crows slightly higher who would care?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143
I think you miss the point though Fly.
Bolton is a teacher with a teachers back ground.
It's all about the love fest

Reminds me of the story of the organisational consultant who wrote a book called "The Caring Sharing Organisation" which was a huge hit and made him millions. He decided to buy a company and actually implement his ideas - it went broke in 6 months. His new book is titled "Kicking Ass and Taking Names"!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #144

For every positive you're going to find a negative and vice versa depending on which stance you would like to take.

1.  Fast tracked Zac Fisher and the others are in second year ruts ala weitering who is playing his best footy now.  Actually this is the first time that 5 draftees from one draft crop are all looking like making the grade. 

2.  Matthew Wright played his best footy with us.  All the GWS players we have gotten are better with us than they were there.

3.  All of them have played better footy under Bolton than under malthouse. Including some that have left us and are playing elsewhere.

4. On game day, its difficult to point to any changes made that swings  the tide one way or the other and the general consensus in afl circles is that swinging things on game day is limited to pre prepared plans.  Bolton's coaching had us in winning positions for most of this season bar two matches.  That wasnt true of malthouse or rattens final years with us.  We dished up the north Melbourne equivalent in most matches.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
Ratten was 11 and 11 (after a horror injury run too) when he parted ways as Coach.

Bolts?

Is that how far our standards have slipped?  ??? :-[

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #146
Ratten was 11 and 11 (after a horror injury run too) when he parted ways as Coach.

Bolts?

Is that how far our standards have slipped?  ??? :-[

Context.

We were heading to a spoon when Bolton took over the club.

Ratten had set his sights on top 4 and a premiership tilt.

At the time ratten got sacked we were a divided club who wasn't sure he should be sacked and history shows it was unlikely to have been the correct decision.

Applying any argument surrounding using rattens grounds for sacking works against anyone using it to argue why we should sack Bolton.  In fact its proof the playing group will not unite against a new coach.

Paul Hewson

Reply #147
I'll say it because no one else is.

The absence of lachie plowman is under rated.

Paul Hewson

Reply #148
Context.

We were heading to a spoon when Bolton took over the club.

Ratten had set his sights on top 4 and a premiership tilt.

At the time ratten got sacked we were a divided club who wasn't sure he should be sacked and history shows it was unlikely to have been the correct decision.

Applying any argument surrounding using rattens grounds for sacking works against anyone using it to argue why we should sack Bolton.  In fact its proof the playing group will not unite against a new coach.

Give up. You backed the wrong horse.

4 years later, with a good young side we are still heading for the spoon with a worse record than our previous dud coaches.

Reply #149
Give up. You backed the wrong horse.

4 years later, with a good young side we are still heading for the spoon with a worse record than our previous dud coaches.

You give up.

I've backed every horse in the hot seat and I'll give you a clue.

The reason they all lose is because our club isnt operating as it should be.

I'm not surprised by our season this year.  I actually thought we'd be less competitive even though I thought we might have won a game or two more than we have and said as much in pre season.

How about you??

Paul Hewson