Skip to main content
Topic: Question time (Read 7892 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Question time

Reply #30
losing Jed surprised me tbh.  had limitations, but was a pretty dependable kent who would always do his bit.

early days i agreed with gifting the kids (some) games to get some experience into them.  my only complaint is it was taken too far at times.

too much focus on development, too little focus on winning, and both for too long.  i was calling at the start of 2018 to focus hard on winning.  it became evident in round 1 that last year was seen as another development year, and that disappointed me.  i suspect the club thought we'll go hard for wins at the start of 2019 and we'll be right.  guess what - the team is now indoctrinated to think development is better than winning.

most think our team is talented enough, and agree we're a touch on the young side now, but we ain't babies any more.  Until 3 weeks ago I think BB had until the end of the season to get some wins, but most of us (as lead by the lovely AFL media 'personalities') think he's really got 4 weeks.  I know they're sh1t stirrers, but this time they are right if you ask me.  If he can't get the boys up for 2 wins in the next 4 (and nobody cares about honourable losses any more), then he's gotta be in real strife.

I'm not one for knee jerk reactions, and putting BB on notice for season 2019 is not a knee jerk reaction.  I agreed with the SoS move for Stocker last trade season.  We simply should not be where we are right now.  Time is running out to rectify the situation, and if the coaching panel and players can't pull their fingers out, the club will be a laughing stock (if we aren't already).

Crazy as it all sounds - i'm still backing BB and our boys in.   

Reply #31
Said it for the last couple of years now but Jye Bolton is one the club should've got in as a mature aged recruit. He's got his limitations but betting smashed on the inside is not one of them. He's as tough as nails and goes in hard and I'd be staggered if he's not picked up by someone in the upcoming mid-season draft. He could've been picked up with a nothing pick in last year's draft and he's already showing again in the WAFL why he's such a good inside player...leading pretty much all of the media awards.

Stocker might end up being good but there's no way the club thought we'd be rock bottom (again) when they decided to do that deal. I feel sorry for the kid because he's gonna have that hanging over his head for years if this year's number 1 pick goes to Adelaide and that pick proves to be a gem.

Given the lack of depth we've got, whoever we take in that mid-season draft needs to be able to pretty much step into the team at any moment.

Reply #32
Said it for the last couple of years now but Jye Bolton is one the club should've got in as a mature aged recruit. He's got his limitations but betting smashed on the inside is not one of them. He's as tough as nails and goes in hard and I'd be staggered if he's not picked up by someone in the upcoming mid-season draft. He could've been picked up with a nothing pick in last year's draft and he's already showing again in the WAFL why he's such a good inside player...leading pretty much all of the media awards.

Stocker might end up being good but there's no way the club thought we'd be rock bottom (again) when they decided to do that deal. I feel sorry for the kid because he's gonna have that hanging over his head for years if this year's number 1 pick goes to Adelaide and that pick proves to be a gem.

Given the lack of depth we've got, whoever we take in that mid-season draft needs to be able to pretty much step into the team at any moment.

Totally agree....Marlion Pickett and Jye Bolton straight into the team....Stocker is a good kid and I'd have him in the midfield but happy to let him progress down back out of harms way.
Feel for Walsh having to play like a veteran, no need to burden Stocker as well, those two will be good value down the track.

Reply #33
We took young O'Dwyer in last year's draft with a 4th round pick that was speculative at best and in all likelihood the kid will never play a game for us. That pick could've been used on either of Bolton or Pickett and either one of them would be playing right now.

Reply #34
We took young O'Dwyer in last year's draft with a 4th round pick that was speculative at best and in all likelihood the kid will never play a game for us. That pick could've been used on either of Bolton or Pickett and either one of them would be playing right now.

ODwyer is miles off senior footy, not the kids fault, he is a real spec pick and I agree it was a waste of a pick IMO given the amount of youth and lack of mid age talent we have.

Reply #35
Totally agree....Marlion Pickett and Jye Bolton straight into the team....Stocker is a good kid and I'd have him in the midfield but happy to let him progress down back out of harms way.
Feel for Walsh having to play like a veteran, no need to burden Stocker as well, those two will be good value down the track.

Even the way they have dealt with Gibbons has been odd.

Why not say to the guy, ok you're a mid through and though - go and do what you do best.

Ditto Ed C - at age 29 they try and make him a small forward. Nice one.

Again, the word dumb keeps reverberating.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
Even the way they have dealt with Gibbons has been odd.

Why not say to the guy, ok you're a mid through and though - go and do what you do best.

Ditto Ed C - at age 29 they try and make him a small forward. Nice one.

Again, the word dumb keeps reverberating.....
Ed is a victim of our game plan which includes no tagging and favours zones over running with an opposition player. If he isn’t going in the midfield the only other option I see if to play him as a small defender, which given his kicking skills is also sub optimal.

Reply #37
Ed is a victim of our game plan which includes no tagging and favours zones over running with an opposition player. If he isn’t going in the midfield the only other option I see if to play him as a small defender, which given his kicking skills is also sub optimal.

Well then, maybe the game plan is equally dumb?

How many games have we won - someone refresh my memory....?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Well then, maybe the game plan is equally dumb?

No argument from me there.

Guarding space in the hope a miskick results in a turnover is doomed. We have zero intensity and the players are always standing by as the opposition just kick to the spaces and allow their team mates to run through it. The zone then breaks down as four Carlton players then engage in a half hearted chase which leaves 3 opponents free who then run on harder.

Even when it does work and we get an intercept mark, our instant response is for another three payers to push back to set up for the slow backwards kicks to transfer play. The opposition run harder to close off the ground on the other side and we end up just kicking long down the boundary line to a contest. Given 4 of our guys are spread out in the defensive 50 for this wasteful set up we are then outnumbered when the long kick happens and generally turn the ball over.

When this doesn’t happen we usually just get the ball and kick long down the boundary first chance we get.

On rare occasions when we try and link up to run through the centre in numbers we actually look good - as evidenced by the games against the dogs and first half against the Hawks.

This has been happening for a long time. So my question is why won’t the coaches change the plan? Why won’t they try carrying the ball more to use our younger legs, using Ed to nullify the opposition’s best mid and using a different backline set up where everyone gets 1 player and keeping a spare man back who is the main initiator of the aforementioned run and carry off half back?

Reply #39
No argument from me there.

Guarding space in the hope a miskick results in a turnover is doomed. We have zero intensity and the players are always standing by as the opposition just kick to the spaces and allow their team mates to run through it. The zone then breaks down as four Carlton players then engage in a half hearted chase which leaves 3 opponents free who then run on harder.

Even when it does work and we get an intercept mark, our instant response is for another three payers to push back to set up for the slow backwards kicks to transfer play. The opposition run harder to close off the ground on the other side and we end up just kicking long down the boundary line to a contest. Given 4 of our guys are spread out in the defensive 50 for this wasteful set up we are then outnumbered when the long kick happens and generally turn the ball over.

When this doesn’t happen we usually just get the ball and kick long down the boundary first chance we get.

On rare occasions when we try and link up to run through the centre in numbers we actually look good - as evidenced by the games against the dogs and first half against the Hawks.

This has been happening for a long time. So my question is why won’t the coaches change the plan? Why won’t they try carrying the ball more to use our younger legs, using Ed to nullify the opposition’s best mid and using a different backline set up where everyone gets 1 player and keeping a spare man back who is the main initiator of the aforementioned run and carry off half back?

And yet we all but bested the Pies...that's what baffles me the most (and don't give me the they're young BS).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
Agree EB....wasn't having a go at O'Dwyer as he's just a kid but rather the decision to recruit another young kid when we lacked that mid 20's level of blokes. There's no certainties in the draft but I'd have put money on either of Bolton or Pickett or even Schloithe having a pretty immediate impact. I just wonder what sort of impact it has on young blokes in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd years of footy just getting bashed around each week because there's no support and hardly ever experiencing that winning feeling....I'm over the losing feeling I know that much!

Reply #41
Agree EB....wasn't having a go at O'Dwyer as he's just a kid but rather the decision to recruit another young kid when we lacked that mid 20's level of blokes. There's no certainties in the draft but I'd have put money on either of Bolton or Pickett or even Schloithe having a pretty immediate impact. I just wonder what sort of impact it has on young blokes in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd years of footy just getting bashed around each week because there's no support and hardly ever experiencing that winning feeling....I'm over the losing feeling I know that much!

Surfie...Winning feeling is part of development and undervalued....you go out each week thinking its going to be tough to win and you start thinking about your own game only and survival.You end up with 22 blokes thinking about themselves and you get results like we did last week with players happy to guard their own patch of grass and even young kids like Walsh pointing the finger at others. Thats when you know you have a problem and the team are not a team anymore but just a group of individuals and kids then learn no other way and you then have to reprogram them with strong coaching and strong leadership on the field. Cripps is a good leader but has no support and as we saw is at the end of his rope and about over it..

Reply #42
Maybe having a player with a surname the same as the coach is too hard for them to get their head around!!!

Reply #43
And yet we all but bested the Pies...that's what baffles me the most (and don't give me the they're young BS).
We did? The pies we’re ahead for most of the game then finished us off with a seven goal final quarter.

Reply #44

I'd prefer we went for more 20 somethings also - but more so because it increases our chances of success I reckon.

If O'Dwyer wasn't on our list he certainly wouldn't be in the frame to be picked up in the mid season draft. There is little risk in leaving these Raso-esque players to prove themselves in the VFL rather than being picked up on a super-speculative basis.