Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 18337 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Time to play the Drug Cheats. Hopefully with the slightly fitter list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #1
Time to play the Drug Cheats. Hopefully with the slightly fitter list.

Its a good time to get them. Battered, bruised and ripe for the picking.

Of course its about as good of a chance as we'll get for a win for a while...

Reply #2
Trains are back and I will be there!

Good chance to break the duck.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
In a strange kind of way, in parts of the game last night, we were impressive against a quality team who despite injury, have depth and experience. If we can bring that for longer, we are a chance this week. Of course, we seem to always get teams back on track, I hope thats not this week. We aren't at "bring the mouth guards to training" like they were, at least as our fellas seem to be cracking in. We are just so messy with football, especially fwd of the centre. The number of grubbers (ie bounced at the feet of players) we executed last night was ridiculous. Commentators use the term "lower the eyes", our guys need to raise them a little. I would just like to see us get a game on our terms for longer periods. We did  it in Q2 and parts of Q4 last night, Q1 and Q3 we were just spent chasing butt. As I said in another post, our fwds need to work to the front position more. If you get mauled, you are are every chance for a free. Casboult will miss, I would bring Kerr in. Didnt start the game weel yesterday but worked his way into it and made opportunities for himself by getting to right spots. Reminded me of Whitnall. Plow will more than likely miss, Weiters would come in. I doubt Charlie and Marchy will be risked.
I liked Kruze and Flip working in tandem to be honest so I hope they go again with it.
Its all about attitude, keep your heads up and keep cracking in boys.
Go Blues.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Not sure on the status of Casboult, but give him the week off. Brink in Kerr and keep 2 rucks.

McKay, Kreuzer/Phillips and Kerr will be a forwardline we never thought would happen at the start of the year....with or without Curnowfides.

Kennedy is a worry. He reminds me of Kreuzer the way he moves around, both speed and agility. Problem is he is 4 inches smaller than him and should be moving a lot quicker and be more agile! Needs to be fit.

Lang might finally be ready for his debut.

Weiters in for Oshea.

Maybe SOJ against the old enemy will find another gear.

Kerridge and Graham will be thankful the cupboard is bare....at least filled with injured players.
Ditto Mullett.

Reply #5
Not sure on the status of Casboult, but give him the week off. Brink in Kerr and keep 2 rucks.

McKay, Kreuzer/Phillips and Kerr will be a forwardline we never thought would happen at the start of the year....with or without Curnowfides.

Kennedy is a worry. He reminds me of Kreuzer the way he moves around, both speed and agility. Problem is he is 4 inches smaller than him and should be moving a lot quicker and be more agile! Needs to be fit.

Lang might finally be ready for his debut.

Weiters in for Oshea.

Maybe SOJ against the old enemy will find another gear.

Kerridge and Graham will be thankful the cupboard is bare....at least filled with injured players.
Ditto Mullett.
Forgot about Oshea in my post, he must go. Problem is if Plow misses, we will have no choice.
Id go
FB 11 14 6
HB 23 17 39
C 25 9 4
HF 5 36 16
FF 21 10 46
R 8 35 7
INT 2 34 32 37 or 13
IN 23 16 36 37 or 13
OUT 20 41 24 18
Abit radical, 6 5 46 cant count themselves lucky IMO

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Forgot about Oshea in my post, he must go. Problem is if Plow misses, we will have no choice.

Unfortunately O'Shea looks to have reached his level of incompetence. Does not look comfortable at all.

Reply #7
Kennedy isn't fit enough. He was gasping for air early in the game and in no shape to play AFL.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Kennedy isn't fit enough. He was gasping for air early in the game and in no shape to play AFL.

He did a few things that I thought were OK but as you say, just cannot live with the pace of the game atm. Unfortunately not many options to replace him with atm but he certainly would benefit from a spell to improve his fitness level. We may have decided he will do that by just keep playing him?

Reply #9
With Levi likely to be out the door may open for Kerr... hope so. And with Plowman also likely to miss you'd suspect Weitering to get a call up. As others have noted, Weitering and Jones in the same defence is a real worry.

I hope Kennedy is injured or underdone, because if he isn't and this is what he brings... well, we've been duped (he was about the 4th choice afterall, gulp).

I would definitely bring in Shaw for O'Shea, lethal left foot actually hits targets - how novel!

I hope we resist the temptation to bring in SOJ as it'd be great for him to keep learning inside mid stuff in the Magoos where he is really showing something re reading the aggott and imposing himself on the contest.

Lang probably needs another week in the twos for fitness but I likes what I saw early on yesterday when his tank was full. Not a star, but does bring composure and acceptable leg speed and strength in the contest. Might be too much of a temptation to bring him in at the expense of Graham though.

It would be shameful to lose to cheats.com.au ...who no doubt will be really pumped to get their season back on track and beat up on us.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
Levi's out for 4 weeks with a fractured rib and an injury to the lining of his lung. Drop a ruckman and bring Kerr in. We don't want this 2 ruck thing happening. Phillips works hard buts has only had 20 touches in 3 weeks. If you're a 2nd ruck you have to give something up forward both on the scoreboard and applying defensive pressure, the latter not the domain of a lumbering ruckman. Much better with a smaller runner. McKay's capable of relieving now. If not Rowe might fill-in.

Reply #11
Levi's out for 4 weeks with a fractured rib and an injury to the lining of his lung. Drop a ruckman and bring Kerr in. We don't want this 2 ruck thing happening. Phillips works hard buts has only had 20 touches in 3 weeks. If you're a 2nd ruck you have to give something up forward both on the scoreboard and applying defensive pressure, the latter not the domain of a lumbering ruckman. Much better with a smaller runner. McKay's capable of relieving now. If not Rowe might fill-in.

McKay is next to useless in the ruck, it's not something he does by default and he's got no idea, plus he's still green in regards to his back issues.

Charlie should be back next week, he'll cover Casboult's loss comfortably. What we need next week is McKay using his bulk inside F50 to create opportunities for the smalls, instead of looking for cheap marks out that back which pays off only once or twice a game!

We may drop Phillips as it was a very ordinary game by his standards, but my SA mate tells me Kreuzer had an injury moment late in the game not captured on TV so do not be surprised if he is out again. Plowman and SPS also had some problems late in the game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
We can't go just with Kreuzer without Levi.

If he doesn't survive four quarters we are left without ruckmen except for Rowe.

Phillips has to play.

Kerr isn't a four quarter player yet, neither is McKay.  It's tough work in our MC at the moment.   What we don't want is too many underdone players.  I reckon Lang isn't ahead of jsos for a midfield role.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
We can't go just with Kreuzer without Levi.

If he doesn't survive four quarters we are left without ruckmen except for Rowe.

Phillips has to play.

Don't forget Jones, he's is capable of doing the Phillips/Casboult role if we want to give him the opportunity.

Kerr isn't a four quarter player yet, neither is McKay.  It's tough work in our MC at the moment.   What we don't want is too many underdone players.  I reckon Lang isn't ahead of jsos for a midfield role.

Based on yesterday, Polson was well ahead of both of them. SoJ is miles away from AFL level midfield, Lang either isn't right in body or mind, or we've been dudded with another Handbagger's plodder!

The problem we have is that Polson won't be much use if we are only getting 1/2 a game from SPS or Kennedy.

I thought Kerridge was disappointing last night, that was a big opportunity to show what he had to offer against a better side. Some said he was limping, but I didn't notice him significantly hampered in any way when he was in the clear!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
I like the idea of Jones in the Casboult role.
I'm interested to see whether he may have learned a few things covering some of the League's best forwards....and he has played a bit of ruck at VFL level.

The other thing is it takes a bit of pressure off deciding which of the tall defenders to play....we're still going to have a glut.