Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton 2024 Predictions / Expectations (Read 31479 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton 2024 Predictions / Expectations

Reply #105
The start of the season will be a great test of our depth, as much as we would like wins what I think will be more important is how we go about games win or lose. To me that is going to be the tell.

The question being, "Did the players mean what they said midway through last season?"

Win or lose, will they have each others back, will they work for each other and sacrifice for each other?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
The start of the season will be a great test of our depth, as much as we would like wins what I think will be more important is how we go about games win or lose. To me that is going to be the tell.

The question being, "Did the players mean what they said midway through last season?"

Win or lose, will they have each others back, will they work for each other and sacrifice for each other?

I tend to agree.
I’m fearful that a poor start will see the feral “fans” start baying for coaching blood again
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #107
Weitering is our most important player and there is no backup or protege being developed to support him.  The failure to attend to this will become all too apparent in the early rounds.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #108
Weitering is our most important player and there is no backup or protege being developed to support him.  The failure to attend to this will become all too apparent in the early rounds.

Young is his protege and Nige is his backup.

Of course they’re not up to Weitering’s class but, if they were, they’d be demanding his spot or a trade for better opportunities.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
I'm more worried about winning the midfield battle. Their mids got the better of us in both games last year and if they do again we won't win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #110
I'm more worried about winning the midfield battle. Their mids got the better of us in both games last year and if they do again we won't win.

Yes, the midfield contest will be critical, along with making the most of our forward 50 entries and applying defensive pressure from go to whoa.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #111
As if Weiters losing wasn't bad enough, we lose Walsh (IMO our best mid) and mis-small forwards as well, the first two to four rounds will hard to watch. We cannot cover the losses we have ATM and first up, we are up against a side who is powerful on every line.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #112
Young is his protege and Nige is his backup.

Of course they’re not up to Weitering’s class but, if they were, they’d be demanding his spot or a trade for better opportunities.
Not up to Weitering's class? Young isn't even AFL standard at the moment.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #113
As if Weiters losing wasn't bad enough, we lose Walsh (IMO our best mid) and mis-small forwards as well, the first two to four rounds will hard to watch. We cannot cover the losses we have ATM and first up, we are up against a side who is powerful on every line.
Agree. We will struggle imo, but hopefully our steely resolve will be on show.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #114
We are a sneaky chance if we play relentless tough contested pressure footy.

Reply #115
We are a sneaky chance if we play relentless tough contested pressure footy.

Absolutely!

No team is invincible, and particularly if the opposition has a plan and is ruthless in its execution.

Missing Weiters, Walsh, Martin, Silvagni and Motlop hurts, but premiership teams are able to cover injured players, no matter how important they are.  Think of Richmond losing Rance.

Vossy and his assistants would have spent a fair amount of the off season replaying our prelim loss and figuring out how to reverse the result.  If they’ve got that right, and the players can execute the plan, we’re a good chance to knock the cocky blighters off their perch.

Reply #116
Absolutely!

No team is invincible, and particularly if the opposition has a plan and is ruthless in its execution.

Missing Weiters, Walsh, Martin, Silvagni and Motlop hurts, but premiership teams are able to cover injured players, no matter how important they are.  Think of Richmond losing Rance.

Vossy and his assistants would have spent a fair amount of the off season replaying our prelim loss and figuring out how to reverse the result.  If they’ve got that right, and the players can execute the plan, we’re a good chance to knock the cocky blighters off their perch.

Exactly - lets see Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Acres and Docherty at their brutal relentless best.