Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 5101 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 14 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast

Not confident about this one either. Gold Coast are playing well and Witts usually does well against us.
The Gold Coast mids are doing a much better job than ours are at the moment.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 14 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #1
It is going to be ugly next Sunday.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
My changes would be
Binns->Cottrell/Ed (Ed was solid on Merrett but why didn't he follow him fwd in the 3rd)
Cunningham->Martin (injured?)
Fogarty->Motlop
Fisher->Boyd
Cripps->Hewett (if Crippa needs a rest, 2 weeks to freshen up over the bye might be good)
Pitto->SOS
Young needs a spell but there is zero to replace him with.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Can't understand the hate for Boyd. We complain about how badly we use the ball and he's at 85.7% DE. 2nd only to McGovern and Young (??). One of his passes into F50 resulted in one of our few goals. No, keep him in, he's not the problem. Young on the other hand is completely bereft of confidence and is unrecognisable from the same bloke who competed so well last year. Hard to get rid of him as we have nothing as a back-up so don't know where we go with him. I'd like to say Marchbank but he's off with some sort of injury again so scratch that. I'd suggest maybe JSOS but he's going just as bad, if not worse, and will probably make way for Pittonet, if fit anyway.
Surely it's time for Ed to go. Started as a tag on Merrett and was going OK I thought but then what happened? Ended up forward and was just useless. Can't kick a goal from 25m almost directly in front. Cunningham can come in for him.
Motlop and Owies both out for me. Replace with Fogarty and Fisher. maybe like for like but sick of their ineffectiveness.
Hewett will probably return so I'm guessing that Dow will be sacrificed which is so wrong but that's Carlton.
I'd like to give Binns a run so maybe Cottrell?
Cripps has been woeful but unless they pull the "managed" card he won't get dropped.
Honestly the biggest mystery for me is how this team which on paper looks better than the one that what was  0.6% away from finals in 2022 looks like they could struggle to beat WC right now.

Reply #4
Can't understand the hate for Boyd. We complain about how badly we use the ball and he's at 85.7% DE. 2nd only to McGovern and Young (??). One of his passes into F50 resulted in one of our few goals. No, keep him in, he's not the problem. Young on the other hand is completely bereft of confidence and is unrecognisable from the same bloke who competed so well last year. Hard to get rid of him as we have nothing as a back-up so don't know where we go with him. I'd like to say Marchbank but he's off with some sort of injury again so scratch that. I'd suggest maybe JSOS but he's going just as bad, if not worse, and will probably make way for Pittonet, if fit anyway.
Surely it's time for Ed to go. Started as a tag on Merrett and was going OK I thought but then what happened? Ended up forward and was just useless. Can't kick a goal from 25m almost directly in front. Cunningham can come in for him.
Motlop and Owies both out for me. Replace with Fogarty and Fisher. maybe like for like but sick of their ineffectiveness.
Hewett will probably return so I'm guessing that Dow will be sacrificed which is so wrong but that's Carlton.
I'd like to give Binns a run so maybe Cottrell?
Cripps has been woeful but unless they pull the "managed" card he won't get dropped.
Honestly the biggest mystery for me is how this team which on paper looks better than the one that what was  0.6% away from finals in 2022 looks like they could struggle to beat WC right now.
Ed should have followed Merrett to the fwd line, to the bench, to the toilet, to the showers after the game, everywhere. He nullified him for 2 qtrs then didn't follow him fwd at the start of the 3rd, he should have made that decision himself.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #5
No on field nous and leadership from a senior player, that's why we're broken.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
No on field nous and leadership from a senior player, that's why we're broken.
Yep
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
And Young should have run straight through that bloke, lay a block suffer the consequences.  It was p weak.  He probably would have got off as well - what was he supposed to do, step aside?

I think Ed epitomizes our problems, he's been a serviceable player, but not good enough to step up when it really matters.  A footsoldier at best -a true B grader. 

Reply #8
Ed should have followed Merrett to the fwd line, to the bench, to the toilet, to the showers after the game, everywhere. He nullified him for 2 qtrs then didn't follow him fwd at the start of the 3rd, he should have made that decision himself.
Agree..but I'm over Ed and he shouldn't be playing. It just recycling busted deckchairs and ignoring kids like Dow.
I'd rather have Dow go head to head with Merritt...yes people will laugh but look at Brad Scott and what he did, he had his version of Dow in Archie Perkins run with Cripps all night. Cripps was nullified and Perkins got experience.
We will probably play Ed on Rowell or Anderson next week and play safe again but get nowhere...

Reply #9
If he does this I'd sack him if I was Cook.

If we're serious Ed should be cleaning out his locker over the break.

Reply #10
In my opinion currently Young and Motlop are boat anchors, they both take short steps.

Motlop's a kid, but he can't be persisted with at AFL level until he has a genuine attack on the ball, he needs time to develop in the VFL, not just a week or two but a season or two!

Young isn't a kid, he's never going to change, we need to look elsewhere because he's just a 200cm version of Tutt, Lang or Smedts.

Finally, the same goes for LoB, when you start shirking contests against CheatsFC and it's lightweight outside running crew there is no coming back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Yep, over Motlop being gifted games. 

Reply #12
In my opinion currently Young and Motlop are boat anchors, they both take short steps.

Motlop's a kid, but he can't be persisted with at AFL level until he has a genuine attack on the ball, he needs time to develop in the VFL, not just a week or two but a season or two!

Young isn't a kid, he's never going to change, we need to look elsewhere because he's just a 200cm version of Tutt, Lang or Smedts.

Finally, the same goes for LoB, when you start shirking contests against CheatsFC and it's lightweight outside running crew there is no coming back!
Fully agree...Acres has copped some crape from me and others for his kicking but he did hold his ground well on the wing in a head on contest and he gets a tick from me for that and those acts are very rare from a few of our blokes these days and I hope the coaching staff point that out during the week and tell all the players that's the standard we expect.
It's embarrassing seeing us so feeble at times...did see Owies have a crack at a few Essendon players but when Ed was jumped by a bunch of players after that Merritt goal I would have wanted my players to fly the flag and get more willing at the contest.

Reply #13
I'm not sold on Boyd either but at least he can hit a target....the same can't be said of too many others. I'd persist with him, and defintely Kemp.

Dow needs to be in the 22 next week. Making him the sub is just a waste of time.

Hopefully Pittonet is available to take on Witts.

Cunningham in for sure and maybe Fisher for Motlop.

Reply #14
Out - Acres, E Curnow, Motlop, Silvagni, Young
In -  Dow, Binns, Cowan, Cunningham, Pittonet,

Arguably we're facing a very simple equation i.e. Poor game plan +  only 1 AFL standard small forward + average Ruck + 1 AFL standard key back + poor foot speed across the field + raft of players who can't kick or handpass accurately + raft of players who cant make good decisions under pressure + material portion of our salary cap invested in players who are out of form.

With the exception of the game plan, lets discuss in turn
(1) Small forwards - we'd hoped that Honey was the answer and watched Durdin emerge last year, but both are not there for different reasons and it has hurt. Motlop needs time to develop. We need to delist Honey, develop Motlop in the twos and go with makeshift forwards in the meantime that can at least hold the ball in our forward half or have enough pace to pressure the ball carrier. Consider Dow, Docherty, Cottrell, Boyd, Cunningham.
(2) Average Ruck - we may have signed him for 4 years, but Pittonet is just an average AFL ruck, light years behind a Gawn, Darcy etc. TDK is flashy but delivers little & Okeefe and Mirkov are a mile off. We'll need to trade for a decent ruckman at year end.
(3) Key Defensive backs - Young and Durdin are simply VFL players at best & S Durdin is way too slow for AFL. McGovern can't be trusted at all in defence, despite this narrative that he's great for our structure. We'll need to trade off our forwards to address our backline. Consider converting one or more of our talls to key defenders & Mcgovern or Kemp forward.
(4) No pace - Pace gives you time and space and our lack of pace across the ground is consistently putting us under pressure. We cant carry Cripps, Kennedy, E Curnow, Weitering, Silvagni & Acres. Obviously Dow should come in and Cunningham should come in as soon as possible and we should inject some youth in Binns and I would also give McGovern & Kemp a run through the midfield from time to time.
'(5) Disposal and decision making - Probably our biggest issue and the hardest to resolve. All of our highest paid players, with the exception of Cerra, are guilty of of this. Whilst Cripps, Walsh, Docherty & Acres may have good stats, they repeatedly let us down with poor decisions or disposal at critical moments which is in stark contrast to Collingwood's leaders. Acres is a bust.

Laugh if you like, but I'd be putting more faith in the side below than the tripe that we've been watching for the past 8 weeks'

Preferred side:
Boyd Weitering Kemp
Saad  TDK  Cincotta
Walsh Cerra Cunningham
Cottrell Curnow Docherty
Owies Mckay McGovern

Pittonet Cripps Dow

Cowan, Kennedy, Binns & Martin

Make it happen!