Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9897 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #240
Coll vs Melbourne showing you need quick contested players not an overly tall lineup that flounder in the wet. Playing too many talls isn't the smart way to go imo.

Smaller forwards and better running players looks the goods in the game tonight. Especially being wet.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #241
We need to pick a team for how we want to play, not worry about other teams. We seem to have a contrarian style that confounds experts like Hoyne, and if that's our go, then we need to make selections accordingly.

Reply #242
Coll vs Melbourne showing you need quick contested players not an overly tall lineup that flounder in the wet. Playing too many talls isn't the smart way to go imo.
Coll Melb showing you dont pick guys who have been regulars, McDonald is a witches hat, Fritch can't get near it. Melb playing bruise free at the minute.
This is why I fear the Marchbank selection, he has looked slow and rusty as fark every time he has come on, Syd gonna lick their lips when he's in the ground.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #243
So who do we want to play as the sub?

Dow
Hollands
Fisher
Motlop

All offer something different. Depends what we think we are short of i think.
Holland offers endurance....not really a sub quality, but has played more than the others
Dow offers midfield depth....but less impact
Fisher offers speed....but probably lacks the aggressiveness needed for a final
Motlop offers the ability to turn a game.....but if we are losing the ball in the middle/backline, won't be able to help in that area to make an impact.

Personally, i would've preferred Kennedy as the sub as he offers more versatility with his midfield work and marking/forward ability.

Out of what we've got though.....i think i'd actually choose Dow.
Our clearance work is our strength. I'd hate to lose it if we lost a midfielder to injury. Dow would ensure we always have that strength.

Reply #244
I reckon we are playing tricks.  Will be a late change.

Motlop makes the best x factor sub.

Hollands probably the most versatile.

Fisher can be a live wire.  The taller line up is interesting.  Someone must be proppy imho.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #245
after watching tonights game, surely there is a late injury and another running player bought in!?!?
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #246
Motlop should be starting in the team, Marchbank is a strange selection imo.
As I said previously I would have wanted Kennedy in the team..
Dow is unlucky and if he doesnt play finals will be elsewhere next season imho.

Reply #247
Not too slow for the Swans’ ruck/forwards.

They’ll stretch us, regardless of the weather, but we’ll have an advantage when the ball hits the ground.

Blues by 5 goals.

Geez. If you're right, the drinks are on me.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #248
We need to pick a team for how we want to play, not worry about other teams. We seem to have a contrarian style that confounds experts like Hoyne, and if that's our go, then we need to make selections accordingly.

I think that’s right Paul.

The GWS games are a good example.  Newy flogged Toby in the first game but Guv got the job in the second.  Admittedly, winning the second game wasn’t the prime objective but developing a team that will be competitive in finals was.

Vossy clearly puts some thought into countering opposition strengths but his main focus is on making it damn hard for the opposition to counter our strengths.

Many supporters will be concerned about how we’ll cope with Papley, Heeney, Blakey and Gulden.  I’m more concerned about how Sydney will attempt to deal with Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Acres, Saad, Weitering, Docherty, Martin, Owies, De Koning, Newman, McGovern, Hewett, Cottrell, Cuningham, Kemp, Pittonet, et al.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #249
Smaller forwards and better running players looks the goods in the game tonight. Especially being wet.
Yet it was Gawn and Petracca that brought Melb back into the game and neither is quick, smalls weren't so influential that the Filth felt compelled to use Ginnivan until the dying minutes and if the Dees had kicked straight it might have been a different story.

Good players in good form, that is what is needed in finals, recipe football doesn't cut it.

I think the Filth made a mistake, when they subbed Cameron out Cox tired and Gawn came into the game which nearly cost the Filth. Gawn starts taking the pill out of the ruck and feeding the runners on the outside but they couldn't kick straight.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #250
Motlop should be starting in the team, Marchbank is a strange selection imo.
As I said previously I would have wanted Kennedy in the team..
Dow is unlucky and if he doesnt play finals will be elsewhere next season imho.

Cunningham, Owies and Marchbank very lucky to be selected, but all can play, so fingers crossed

I would have found room for Motlop and Dow to provide a bit more foot speed

Reply #251
Yet it was Gawn and Petracca that brought Melb back into the game and neither is quick.

I’m pretty confident that we’ll have reasonable conditions for night footy tomorrow but, if it was wet and slippery, wouldn’t you opt for strong, steady players over smaller speedy players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #252
Cunningham, Owies and Marchbank very lucky to be selected, but all can play, so fingers crossed

I would have found room for Motlop and Dow to provide a bit more foot speed

I'd have gone Motlop and Dow for Cunningham and Marchback. Cunningham then would have been my sub.

Reply #253
I’m pretty confident that we’ll have reasonable conditions for night footy tomorrow but, if it was wet and slippery, wouldn’t you opt for strong, steady players over smaller speedy players.
I think we have some of the most mobile and capable big men in the AFL, it's our natural advantage and I think we must leverage it. No matter the weather, I'd hate to have to line up on Charlie or Harry inside F50, they have terrific recovery even when they don't clunk it, and Owies and Cunningham have smarts.

We're not going to win a foot race against the likes of Papley and Gulden, so best to make sure they don't get it on the outside.

So who's the Sub?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #254
Yet it was Gawn and Petracca that brought Melb back into the game and neither is quick, smalls weren't so influential that the Filth felt compelled to use Ginnivan until the dying minutes and if the Dees had kicked straight it might have been a different story.

Good players in good form, that is what is needed in finals, recipe football doesn't cut it.

I think the Filth made a mistake, when they subbed Cameron out Cox tired and Gawn came into the game which nearly cost the Filth. Gawn starts taking the pill out of the ruck and feeding the runners on the outside but they couldn't kick straight.
Petracca is a strong contested Mid, one of the best and very suitable for those conditions, agree on the Cameron sub out.....was a mistake as Cox who had rucked well was knackered.