Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 20- Carlton v Bulldogs -Post Match Autopsy (Read 45823 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 20- Carlton v Bulldogs -Post Match Autopsy

Reply #45
@EB1
Bootsma is a kid learning to be an AFL defender in a defence that is under constant seige - let down by a crumbling and feeble midfield that was being smashed by the opposition. He did OK under the circumstances, especially after Watson was injured - showed some promise with the torp as well.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
Missed Kreuzer big time today.

Reply #47
3 torps from the Boots tonight. 2 came back for goals (one of which made it to half forward but we were still out of position) and the third went deep into the forward pocket and a doggie's stuff up was the only thing which prevented a perfect three from three.

Boots is particularly bad because it is very obvious well before he kicks it that the torp is coming.

Reply #48
Mighty Mick is turning into Marshmallow Mick. Perhaps the Pies got it right - they knew his coaching days were over. I'm quite deflated after this. I thought Malthouse could take our list to the next level. It looks like the next level below.

Mazza!

>:( 

Reply #49
Mighty Mick is turning into Marshmallow Mick. Perhaps the Pies got it right - they knew his coaching days were over. I'm quite deflated after this. I thought Malthouse could take our list to the next level. It looks like the next level below.

Mazza!

How are the Bummers going these days LL?

Reply #50
Yep - said Jamo was done just 2 weeks ago & geez, he was defended admirably by some for reasons I still don't know. Just another cog in this broken wheel of ours.

Notice Curnow was listed in our best.....he had a crack, I'll give him that, but his direct opponent was Cooney = FAIL. Cachia's direct opponent was Griffen = FAIL. Tuohy's direct opponent for a lot of the day was Grant = FAIL. Warnock = FAIL. Walker = FAIL. Murphy = FAIL. Gibbs = FAIL. Armfield = FAIL. Henderson = FAIL (although the kicking to our forwards was abysmal....again). Waite = FAIL. Garlett = FAIL. Betts = FAIL. Menzel = FAIL. Simmo = FAIL. Rowe = FAIL. Yarran butchers the ball by foot = FAIL.

Bootsma gets spared as his spoiling was exceptional, as was his field kicking, although one horrific missed tackle nearly earned him a FAIL. Juddy, McLean & Scotland = Pass.

Brettie....Bootsma had Grant didnt he and got spanked..then went to Jones and had another goal kicked on him but he did do better after half time and the kid his best.

But seriously we got beat by the likes of Jarryd Garnt, Will Young, Tory Dickson, Jason Tutt. ???...Grant hasnt played a decent 4 quarter game in his life, just shows how much commitment our blokes had tonight..... er I forgot...Mark Austen ...yep that superstar...thats how bad we are going, well beat by nondescripts and our own ex duds....

Dont stop at 10 players cut Mick ...go for 12-15....get some who care and have some pride.

Gibbs started on Grant EB1, Bootsma was on him for maybe a few mins, but that was about it.......Grant had a revolving door of Carlton players on him throughout the game. Bootsma spent most of the game on Jones & did a fairly good job.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #51
There are a few things that will make my head explode if I read that we are not doing in terms of game preparation for next season. Things we avoided to keep injuries to a minimum will not cut it. We need to work on all the basics across the board with all players.

Strength work in and out of the gym. To improve the physical strength of every player in the club. We lack body strength and physical presence. Body contests with marking and shrugging a tackle.

Stamina and endurance work. To have the ability to run games out, and chase your opponent moving forward in attack, and running back to flood back to the defensive 50m. We lack real endurance. Learn how to run and run all day. Hard from the first bounce to the final siren.

Tackling. Making all tackles stick and spilling the ball. No more one handed tackles. Real tough and man type tackles to hurt the opponent. Something we are soft with.

Contested marking. Giving every player a chance to take contested marks. Something we really lack.

Kicking to targets. Kicking to players leading in the forward 50m. Hitting targets around the ground. Kicking between the big sticks. Not between one big and one small stick.

Long handballs to targets. Hitting moving targets as Diesel Williams could. he could handball 30m to a moving target, better than our players can by foot.

Ruck tap work with midfield players. Drilling an ability to win clearances. How to communicate special tactics. Hinting a block for a free running mid to a clearance.

Along with spoiling bigger players the above are an absolute must before we even consider our game plan. A lack of ability on the above mean we will not get closer to a final no matter who we get into the club. This and how to do the 2nd and 3rd efforts along with the one percenters. Tapping the ball forward, kicking it along the ground and getting the ball on the half volley. Basic little league children type skills they learn at under 12's footy. Basic footy ethics is important, but our bodies need to be conditioned to be ready for a game of footy before the season starts. If there is not a work ethic in training, there can't be a work ethic in a match or game day. learn to work hard, and enjoy the rewards the work brings. I'm sure it is hard, but worth the results. No more soft boy preperation. Work like men and play like animals.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #52

Mazza!

I think they're still in the 8. Why do you ask?

Reply #53

Mazza!

I think they're still in the 8. Why do you ask?

Ah! They've got their own very special way of achieving that haven't they?

Reply #54
Tackling. Making all tackles stick and spilling the ball. No more one handed tackles. Real tough and man type tackles to hurt the opponent. Something we are soft with.

Tackling and physical contact was outlawed in training during the preseason wasn't it?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55
Is it true that our fans booed Murphy & Waite to such an extent that Waite flipped them the bird ??

Murph, Waite, and Hendo all received bronx cheers late in the game. I suspect Hendo's (after taking the mark) was more a result of the ball actually being delivered to him in an acceptable manner. Didn't see Waite flip our supporters the bird. If he did it could have been to anyone - he's an angry, angry young man.

Watched Murphy closely today given he's been copping it from all and sundry. What struck me most was his total lack of awareness and confidence when he's required to run the other way. No idea where to position himself and is usually caught betwixt and between - half heartedly running towards the opposition player with the ball but then seemingly changing his mind and peeling off to try and cover someone else downfield. He's outta sorts big time.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #56

Tackling and physical contact was outlawed in training during the preseason wasn't it?

It was and without saying anything against the coach, it is completely f@cking stoopid. We are in my opinion one of the bottom 4 sides for tackle ability as a whole side. Seriously watch how other sides make their tackles stick. We use one handed tackles or we tackle leaving the arms free to give off a handball. Why are we no doing this in training. Don't try selling an avoid injury thing. Tackle foam dummies for all I care to avoid hurting teammates. Don't outlaw the most important acting of a footballer. Not having a go at you by the way, just need to hear we are preparing to win games. Not doing ballet, yoga, and meditation only.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #58
Wow doesn't wait long too put the blame on the players.

He mentioned the 'rebuild' word again.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #59
Makes you wonder how J. Madden would have done in today's game!!

Madden would do OK, he would be far closer to Sandilands than is Warnock.

Madden could take marks forward and back. Tackle and hurt opponents physically, and with his goal kicking. His tap work compared to Warnock was sublime!

I even saw Madden run and bounce once! :D
The Force Awakens!