Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67325 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #90
I believe that Jones' revelation in defence began Weiter's demise, as they were basically the same player. The longer Jones stays there, then what do we do with Weiters? We cant have two loose intercept marking players. At this stage Jones has him covered, which raises the inevitable elephant in the room question, do we trade him? He has probably the best currency on the list, there will be collateral damage along the path to sustainable success, he would be a first round pick no worries...
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #91
I believe that Jones' revelation in defence began Weiter's demise, as they were basically the same player. The longer Jones stays there, then what do we do with Weiters? We cant have two loose intercept marking players. At this stage Jones has him covered, which raises the inevitable elephant in the room question, do we trade him? He has probably the best currency on the list, there will be collateral damage along the path to sustainable success, he would be a first round pick no worries...

I don't know Hanwell, I think it's the Plowman, Simmo, Marchbank, Dow, SPS types at the moment that are the big problem.

They are off up the field on the attack, but just don't get back consistently enough to defend when they turn it over. I can forgive the kids, sometimes the reason they fail to get back is they are not quite sure of where to go, or they are easily taken out of the play by heavier opponents.

But I cannot cut Plowman, Simmo and Marchbank the same level slack!

Kerridge was good at the weekend, full field running, working hard both ways making the numbers. Along with Daisy and Wright they really set a good example. Daisy has been a revelation the last few weeks, no wonder he remains, he must be close to the first picked!

We are missing Docherty big time, put him at the feet of Jones and Weitering and you get a vastly different result!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
You do remember Weitering's first season don't you, or his finish to last season, what is McKay's equivalent?

There is no basis for condemning a 20 year old who led the AFL Intercept marking as an 18 year old.  Have a look at Lever version 2018, chocolates to boiled lollies, nobody is pulling the pin on him as quickly as Carlton fans seem to want to cook Weitering! It's ludicrous, if Weitering were at Geelong or Dawkthorn he probably wouldn't have played a senior game yet!

In the meantime we see fans heartily defending Simmo as he turns over another kick after a brave intercept and a sprint forward! That is excruciating!

Far from attacking him I am concerned that we do the right thing by him and that he goes on to be successful. We can't be in denial with him. Somethjng is wrong and he needs some help and I want to see him get it. As for Simmo, he is nearing the end of his career after many years of selfless service not much of it in the best of circumstances, a completely different situation. And he still shows plenty of spirit despite all the crap years!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #93
Dows kicking is unreliable and was at TAC level.......he has averaged 6 kicks a game, he must get tired real quick, if he gets 12 kicks a game I'd expect him to be asleep at half time... :D

re: Weitering...Rance didnt run around trying to avoid contact or have the coach trying to hide him on the field and find a soft opponent for him either.

Schoolboys yep, we draft a lot of schoolboys ours tend to look like year 9's playing the other teams year 12's thats part of the problem......

Deckchairs, Injuries, sure we have injuries but so do other clubs, Bulldogs have as many of us and had a lot of kids playing too and in important positions..

42 players later its an Ark that SOS and Bolton built thats now turned into a Titanic.... 1 win in 15 for a 3rd year of a rebuild, are you happy with that?

Notice you didnt want to comment on Boltons coaching attributes, game plans or lack of  or SOS's list management?......care to share your thoughts on whats happening in the coaches box and match selection etc...

Rance doesn't have an opponent most games and when he does he's shown up quite often. Grimes and Astbury take the KP forwards and Rance just zones off the majority of the times. Weitering is void of all confidence which is Bolton's doing. He needs time in the twos after his injury to regain his form.

I didn't watch Dow at TAC level, but what I've seen from him at AFL level is a pretty decent kick, some have been superb. So I don't care what he used to be like, all I'm concerned about is what I see now.

So let's have a look at our drafting;

Weitering - hardly looking like a grade 9, Harry McKay bottom age has grow 5+ cms since being drafted and while he was slight at the time of the draft he's not that now. Charlie Curnow, not at all looking like a grade 9, Cunningham, and average looking 18 yo when drafted who has an AFL physique now. Jack again hardly a light weight.

Samo - Typical indigenous frame when drafted and has filled a bit, Fisher - Little, light but has been a revelation this year 27 quality possies against Bulldogs, MacReadie, again tall lanky and will fill out, Poulson little and probably most suits your description. Williamson tall flanker with real size, has grown a couple of cms from reports so could be a pinch hit KP in some circumstances. Kerr KP forward never looked like a grade 9

Dow - Strong hips and big thighs, face may look young but body from waist down not at all. O'Brien - small frame and yes looks young, de Koning again not a developed torso but strong hip and things. Schumacher - 190cms and average frame and last drafted was Garlett who is a typical indigenous framed 21 year old.

I'll give you Poulson, Fisher and O'Brien as younger body types, but what do you expect? These are young 17/18 boys, they are going to have skinny arms and thin chests. So 3 young frames out of 16, hardly a disaster.

Coming into last week Carlton had the most games lost for the season due to injuries, and as I said we don't have the depth to cover them. You cannot possibly compare our list to theirs, they won a flag two seasons ago so and they haven't lost every player since then. We have been out of the finished out of the eight now for the past 7 years including this year hardly apple with apples.

List management we have 15 players on the list under the age of 25 who were taken in the top 25, or roughly one third, how has SOS failed at his task. Please tell me which one won't make 100 games and be willing to put your house on it. I'm sure there will be some but no one knows yet because they are still developing.

Coaching, Bolton does some things well others not so, be he has succeeded at every other level he's coached at, and is starting from a long way back. So like the players I'm willing to support my club and the decisions they have made as we don't know if they will work yet.

Match selection - So who would you have chosen from the players available last week that would have made a difference, maybe Graham or Lamb who have been tried and found wanting many times. Or should have we rushed Lang in? Maybe our saviour lies in Kerr, de Koning or Schumacher or let's pick a rookie for their first game to really tip the scales in our favour. ::) Match committee had no where to turn due to the players missing.

Do I like losing, no I hate it! Am I filthy about it, yes at the time but when I wake up the next day and rationally think about it, I can see why we struggle. This is the first time Carlton has invested properly in the draft, has traded for extra picks and for young players who were drafted high and for reasons like Ablett coming back, wanting to come home or a lack of opportunity we have got them cheap. We haven't mortgaged the club for one player, see Judd or gone after the messiah coach see Pagan / Malthouse. We are building a platform with a young in-experienced coach and we need to get games into our players to give them experience which they are getting.

During Boltons tenure we have beaten, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong so he must be doing this right occasionally, or would it be that young sides are inconsistent and take time to come together?     

Reply #94
Rance doesn't have an opponent most games and when he does he's shown up quite often. Grimes and Astbury take the KP forwards and Rance just zones off the majority of the times. Weitering is void of all confidence which is Bolton's doing. He needs time in the twos after his injury to regain his form.

I didn't watch Dow at TAC level, but what I've seen from him at AFL level is a pretty decent kick, some have been superb. So I don't care what he used to be like, all I'm concerned about is what I see now.

So let's have a look at our drafting;

Weitering - hardly looking like a grade 9, Harry McKay bottom age has grow 5+ cms since being drafted and while he was slight at the time of the draft he's not that now. Charlie Curnow, not at all looking like a grade 9, Cunningham, and average looking 18 yo when drafted who has an AFL physique now. Jack again hardly a light weight.

Samo - Typical indigenous frame when drafted and has filled a bit, Fisher - Little, light but has been a revelation this year 27 quality possies against Bulldogs, MacReadie, again tall lanky and will fill out, Poulson little and probably most suits your description. Williamson tall flanker with real size, has grown a couple of cms from reports so could be a pinch hit KP in some circumstances. Kerr KP forward never looked like a grade 9

Dow - Strong hips and big thighs, face may look young but body from waist down not at all. O'Brien - small frame and yes looks young, de Koning again not a developed torso but strong hip and things. Schumacher - 190cms and average frame and last drafted was Garlett who is a typical indigenous framed 21 year old.

I'll give you Poulson, Fisher and O'Brien as younger body types, but what do you expect? These are young 17/18 boys, they are going to have skinny arms and thin chests. So 3 young frames out of 16, hardly a disaster.

Coming into last week Carlton had the most games lost for the season due to injuries, and as I said we don't have the depth to cover them. You cannot possibly compare our list to theirs, they won a flag two seasons ago so and they haven't lost every player since then. We have been out of the finished out of the eight now for the past 7 years including this year hardly apple with apples.

List management we have 15 players on the list under the age of 25 who were taken in the top 25, or roughly one third, how has SOS failed at his task. Please tell me which one won't make 100 games and be willing to put your house on it. I'm sure there will be some but no one knows yet because they are still developing.

Coaching, Bolton does some things well others not so, be he has succeeded at every other level he's coached at, and is starting from a long way back. So like the players I'm willing to support my club and the decisions they have made as we don't know if they will work yet.

Match selection - So who would you have chosen from the players available last week that would have made a difference, maybe Graham or Lamb who have been tried and found wanting many times. Or should have we rushed Lang in? Maybe our saviour lies in Kerr, de Koning or Schumacher or let's pick a rookie for their first game to really tip the scales in our favour. ::) Match committee had no where to turn due to the players missing.

Do I like losing, no I hate it! Am I filthy about it, yes at the time but when I wake up the next day and rationally think about it, I can see why we struggle. This is the first time Carlton has invested properly in the draft, has traded for extra picks and for young players who were drafted high and for reasons like Ablett coming back, wanting to come home or a lack of opportunity we have got them cheap. We haven't mortgaged the club for one player, see Judd or gone after the messiah coach see Pagan / Malthouse. We are building a platform with a young in-experienced coach and we need to get games into our players to give them experience which they are getting.

During Boltons tenure we have beaten, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong so he must be doing this right occasionally, or would it be that young sides are inconsistent and take time to come together?    

And therein lies the issue that many are speaking of, Raydan old son. We all supported 100% what was going on years one and two... but this year, which is the major concern being articulated by folks here, we seem to have gone backwards at a rate of knots. Even if we were treading water compared to last year and 2016, we'd see every point you make... but... our skills seem to have deteriorate this year, along with mongrel endeavour. Cripps, Daisy and ZF seem to be the only 3 who've improved on last year...

Yes, only round 6, and things can turn around quickly. We'll know a lot more soon enough and like many I hope the present signs are only growing pains ** cough cough**  ;) :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #95

I would have chosen a smaller team to play vs the Bulldogs who are lightning quick and go easy on talls for one thing.....Cunningham was a prime example of a player
who was suited to play a defensive role, he has pace and can play a variety of positions, it was a no brainer IMO.
Like when he picked Polson to play when we lost a tall, Polson having zero form and contributed nothing two weeks in row,
Your super coach picked 2 x busted players who were not fit and in Kennedys case couldnt even walk quickly much less run...thats not even dumb that desperation and stupidity...
Would have played Macreadie and Shaw...the latter has 100 games experience and could have played on Bontempelli who we just allowed to run around all day on his own,
whats his next trick let Matt Crouch get 40 plus possies next week by letting him run around free too...or maybe he might match OShea up on Eddie and let him kick half a dozen and tell us it was all about synergy and thats not what we stand for. I guess playing Cripps for 100 mins on the ball might cover those bases.....

What I wont stand for is a coaching team who cant get the basics right much less anything too complicated.......

Reply #96
Juddy very measured and honest about Carlton on FC tonight. Could listen to the great man speak all day, articulate, intelligent, glad to have him involved in our club at board level.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #97

I would have chosen a smaller team to play vs the Bulldogs who are lightning quick and go easy on talls for one thing.....Cunningham was a prime example of a player
who was suited to play a defensive role, he has pace and can play a variety of positions, it was a no brainer IMO.
Like when he picked Polson to play when we lost a tall, Polson having zero form and contributed nothing two weeks in row,
Your super coach picked 2 x busted players who were not fit and in Kennedys case couldnt even walk quickly much less run...thats not even dumb that desperation and stupidity...
Would have played Macreadie and Shaw...the latter has 100 games experience and could have played on Bontempelli who we just allowed to run around all day on his own,
whats his next trick let Matt Crouch get 40 plus possies next week by letting him run around free too...or maybe he might match OShea up on Eddie and let him kick half a dozen and tell us it was all about synergy and thats not what we stand for. I guess playing Cripps for 100 mins on the ball might cover those bases.....

What I wont stand for is a coaching team who cant get the basics right much less anything too complicated.......

Yep.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98

Which of these smaller players who are lightning quick would have you included? Cunningham was omitted for not being defensive when playing HB, Garlett omitted for not playing well. You say you would have played MacReadie and who would you get rid of for him? Rowe, Jones, Plowman or Marchbank?

Shaw could not get a game last season at Gold Coast and was delisted, but he's the answer on Bontempelli?

It's fine to sit back after a crap game and say I would have done this or that, and looking at your suggestions I doubt if they would have helped.

I never said Bolton is a super coach, but thanks for taking the conversation that way ::) But again while they may have had more 10 gamers in their side have a look at their important players,

Suckling 147, Wallis 109, Bontempelli 91, Dalhaus 143, Hunter 89, Wood 131, Macrea 105, McLean 44, Daniel 59, Johannisen 90, Jong 56. That 11 out of their 22 who were their prime ball movers all at or approaching that 60-80 game mark. When your teams quality players are in this zone then you have a really good foundation.

You can't coach experience and our kids coming through have talent they just need the games under their belt. 

Reply #99
I'm a little confused about the argument that we should wait until some of these kids make it to 50+ games before we make a firm judgement about them.

... why then have we made judgements and let go so many players that haven't managed that number.

Reply #100
Which of these smaller players who are lightning quick would have you included? Cunningham was omitted for not being defensive when playing HB, Garlett omitted for not playing well. You say you would have played MacReadie and who would you get rid of for him? Rowe, Jones, Plowman or Marchbank?

Shaw could not get a game last season at Gold Coast and was delisted, but he's the answer on Bontempelli?

It's fine to sit back after a crap game and say I would have done this or that, and looking at your suggestions I doubt if they would have helped.

If you read the pre-game thread half of the forum questioned the selections and why we dropped two small pressure forwards and replaced them with an inside midfielder and another half back flanker.

Just like the suns game when we replaced Kreuzer with a small, that left Casboult in the ruck.

Terrible selections that cost us both games before they even began.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #101
I guess we could settle this once and for all by hosting a "Talking Tactics" session between Bolton and forum members. I give each member 5 minutes before they get shot down in flames.

It's nonsense to think that the MC isn't cognisant of the issues being discussed here wrt team selections. They won't always get it right, and I think there are many occasions when selections are a gamble. You don't have to agree or like their decisions, but they have reasons behind who's in and out, which we may not even know exist.

Our skill errors, poor decision making, youth, and lack of leadership are what kill us, and all the team selection theory in the world can't save you from that.

Reply #102
I guess we could settle this once and for all by hosting a "Talking Tactics" session between Bolton and forum members. I give each member 5 minutes before they get shot down in flames.

The Gold Coast shot us down in flames.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #104
I'm a little confused about the argument that we should wait until some of these kids make it to 50+ games before we make a firm judgement about them.

... why then have we made judgements and let go so many players that haven't managed that number.

I think its hard to compare.

Where we are at means its hard to get a read on players and their abilities because of how few experienced heads we have in the team.

In the past, where a Kane Lucas or a Matthew Watson joined a rather settled lineup, they looked like they had no idea what they were doing and didn't display even a snippet of the ability that half of these guys do.

Our kids all have shown something (except Polson who is the only real worry).

Now its about how we develope them as a unit and as individuals.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson