Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67345 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #105
Our kids all have shown something (except Polson who is the only real worry).

Polson looks OK at VFL level, I think if he was at a club surrounded by the right type of player he is capable of doing a Caleb Daniel type role at AFL level. He's probably easily the smartest of the smalls we have drafted, but he doesn't have any natural physical advantage.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
I liked his tackling efforts in the game a couple of weeks ago. He seemed to make a few stick which is unusual for our team.

Reply #107
I liked his tackling efforts in the game a couple of weeks ago. He seemed to make a few stick which is unusual for our team.

Yes, I can easily see him in the Wright role in years to come, the small, reliable, consistent, smart, tackling forward who does the right thing and makes the right decisions. He won't just be on the end of someone else's good work like a couple of the others we have drafted appear to be, he'll be creating opportunities for team mates.

I'm not convinced by small forwards, or forwards in general, who goal from out the back cheapies. I'll be impressed when I see a couple of them doing the Rioli type stuff and creating an opportunity from nothing, either for themselves or for someone else!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
I think its hard to compare.

Where we are at means its hard to get a read on players and their abilities because of how few experienced heads we have in the team.

In the past, where a Kane Lucas or a Matthew Watson joined a rather settled lineup, they looked like they had no idea what they were doing and didn't display even a snippet of the ability that half of these guys do.

Our kids all have shown something (except Polson who is the only real worry).

Now its about how we develope them as a unit and as individuals.

If we look back at some of the threads of the past though, you'll find that many of 'our kids' of the past all had games where there was some genuine excitement...where they showed something.

http://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=1375.0

http://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=945.0

...and one of the most insightful comments from the Buckley thread was this one.

No light, no tunnel, just a drop of positivity in an ocean of bullcrap expectations.

One rising star nomination doesnt make a player
.  He has effectively been picked as one to watch moving forward as he has a future.

That should be the minimal expectation that we have on our youngsters.  Instead, we seem to have the opposite.  We are so entrenched in failure we have no idea how to recognise success.

You wont see a proper club patting a bloke on the back for a rising star nomination.  They will simply give the guy a pat on the back and on we go.

"Games into kids" isn't as important as "games into kids together" and at the moment circumstances (injuries, selections) are preventing that on many occasions.

Reply #109
"Games into kids" isn't as important as "games into kids together" and at the moment circumstances (injuries, selections) are preventing that on many occasions.

Yes, that together word is usually omitted but it is crucial.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Polson looks OK at VFL level, I think if he was at a club surrounded by the right type of player he is capable of doing a Caleb Daniel type role at AFL level. He's probably easily the smartest of the smalls we have drafted, but he doesn't have any natural physical advantage.

Maybe, and I hope for him he turns it around, but his limitations seem to be plentiful.  Zach Fisher is your Caleb Daniel type.  Polson is more Honeychurch (without the natural ability at the moment).

I cannot say that about any of the other players we have drafted.

Williamson - Good size, good athletic ability, uses the ball well enough.  Currently injured
SPS - A bit small, but has good evasive ability, generally hits targets, and can stick a tackle.  Currently has application issues, and needs some work on game sense.
JSOS - Limited athletically, but seems to have the smarts and work rate to negate this.  Had been scoring reasonably well, but that has dried up a bit this season and been a bit ineffective.
Weitering - Good size, seems a bit sluggish and down on form and confidence, but is still getting to where the footy is but needs to contest harder.
Marchbank - Good size, speed and skills, good over head mark.  No real negatives, played his first poor game on friday.
Harry - Good size, good agility, good skills, needs to work on his application and workrate (fitness??)
Cunningham - Good skills, good size, nous, doesnt want to get his hands dirty, but can really use the ball well (maturity).
Curnow - has all the tools required, just needs to keep working hard and perhaps make better decisions, but even the wrong ones, arent that bad.
Fisher - Is doing everything we can ask of him and just belongs.  The exception to the rule that states draftees need time, because he has a good head on his shoulders and is competing really well.
Macreadie - tall who has shown good competitive ability and AFL standard skills, probably hasnt had the opportunity through simple depth of numbers at the moment, but what we have seen of him looks good.
Paddy Dow - Looks good in the clinches, and could polish up the disposal a little but is doing well for a first year player.
Lochie O Brien - Good kick of the footy, has pace, perhaps not overly physical, but this might come with confidence.
De Koning - His ruck work in VFL level is a standout already.  Needs time before impacting at AFL level.
Schumacher - a relative unknown quantity
Pat Kerr - a speculative late tall who is working hard.  Havent seen what he has to offer yet, but he will get his chance based on VFL form and then we will see.

Put Polson in the above group, and he sticks out like a sore thumb.  It doesn't mean he wont make it, because the ones that are really effective for us are way ahead of schedule (thankfully) but hes the only one I look at that doesnt seem to bring much to the equation.  I think hes probably the only real question mark at the moment.  I'm yet to see why SOS decided to draft him, which is no indicator of anything.

Hence why I state hes my only real concern of our draftees.  If you are a small and you don't have some tricks up your sleeve then you are in all sorts.

If we look back at some of the threads of the past though, you'll find that many of 'our kids' of the past all had games where there was some genuine excitement...where they showed something.

http://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=1375.0

http://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=945.0

...and one of the most insightful comments from the Buckley thread was this one.

Yep, once again, I should listen to myself a little more.

I'm not convinced of any of our kids, but I have seen they have the tools. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #111
Maybe, and I hope for him he turns it around, but his limitations seem to be plentiful.  Zach Fisher is your Caleb Daniel type.  Polson is more Honeychurch (without the natural ability at the moment).

No I don't agree about that, in my opinion Fisher is already well beyond anything Daniel has or can deliver, Fisher just doesn't get the recognition Daniel gets.

I think you've pre-judged Polson. If you watched VFL regularly there is no way you could be positive about McKay or Macreadie and also negative about Polson. At VFL level Polson has them comfortably covered on so many levels other than dimensions. His work ethic is equal to Graham, and his ball use is probably better, he just doesn't get as much of the football yet.

I suspect as the years pass, players like Weitering will replace Rowe, and that shift in team balance will create opportunity for players like Polson. But it may depend on how our list looks ignoring Fisher, Kennedy looks slow, Cripps is slow, SPS is not fast, Dow is inside, and O'Brien is outside. Not sure how Polson fits if he wants midfield as a role.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
I'm quite aware of what happened in the various games this season.

Paul, what we don't know on here is what exactly the coaching panel is trying to achieve in each game within the reset cycle. And that is the point - we are in a reset cycle - is a normal tactical approach always being applied or are selection and game plan decisions being made based more on list and player management/development considerations? Those not part of the inner sanctum would not really be in a position to know, but can only surmise.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
Paul, what we don't know on here is what exactly the coaching panel is trying to achieve in each game within the reset cycle. And that is the point - we are in a reset cycle - is a normal tactical approach always being applied or are selection and game plan decisions being made based more on list and player management/development considerations? Those not part of the inner sanctum would not really be in a position to know, but can only surmise.

We don't know.
The expectation is that we go out each week always to get the win but some of the selections over recent times gives the impression that there is another agenda...experimentation and player development.
If that's the case it's a gutsy strategy because eventually patience wears thin if results aren't forthcoming.
If the club is united and understanding of the approach you're on pretty solid ground even in the face of supporter unrest.
Where it can come unstuck is if the lack of success leads to a group, who think they can do better, taking advantage of any discontent to rest control of the club

Reply #114
No I don't agree about that, in my opinion Fisher is already well beyond anything Daniel has or can deliver, Fisher just doesn't get the recognition Daniel gets.

I think you've pre-judged Polson. If you watched VFL regularly there is no way you could be positive about McKay or Macreadie and also negative about Polson. At VFL level Polson has them comfortably covered on so many levels other than dimensions. His work ethic is equal to Graham, and his ball use is probably better, he just doesn't get as much of the football yet.

I suspect as the years pass, players like Weitering will replace Rowe, and that shift in team balance will create opportunity for players like Polson. But it may depend on how our list looks ignoring Fisher, Kennedy looks slow, Cripps is slow, SPS is not fast, Dow is inside, and O'Brien is outside. Not sure how Polson fits if he wants midfield as a role.

I look at their AFL form and what they have shown.  The VFL is one kettle of fish, the AFL another.  A few have shown not much at VFL level and then gone up a gear at AFL level.

Rather than arguing about Fisher or Daniel, its not the point.  Irrespective of how we rate players, my list shows that Polson is currently one who is the only real question mark about being an AFL capable competitor which is why he is the only one that worries me.  Macreadie could turn out to be a bust, but his AFL form last year was solid enough to show that we have our key position players sorted for a few years.

Paul Hewson

Reply #115
We don't know.
The expectation is that we go out each week always to get the win but some of the selections over recent times gives the impression that there is another agenda...experimentation and player development.
If that's the case it's a gutsy strategy because eventually patience wears thin if results aren't forthcoming.
If the club is united and understanding of the approach you're on pretty solid ground even in the face of supporter unrest.
Where it can come unstuck is if the lack of success leads to a group, who think they can do better, taking advantage of any discontent to rest control of the club

Lods I'm sure we always go out to win but maybe within the context of a player development/list development agenda.  It is risky and that's why BB would have to have the absolute full support of the club, if this is indeed what is happening. You are dead right about currently outside parties and I'm sure there would be some watching developments very closely!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #116
Irrespective of how we rate players, my list shows that Polson is currently one who is the only real question mark about being an AFL capable competitor which is why he is the only one that worries me.  Macreadie could turn out to be a bust, but his AFL form last year was solid enough to show that we have our key position players sorted for a few years.

I can only judge them as they play relative to each other, and side by side in the VFL, it's Polson that looks closer to AFL than some of the others.

But I no expert, in fact I'll assert based on the McKay / Kerr selection situation I know nothing at all!

One concern I have, is which player does Kerr really compete with for a AFL spot?

Who does Polson really compete with for that matter?

It may not be a level playing field!

I've heard the club and coaches throw around terms like honesty, hard working, good character, reward for effort, but I'm yet to clearly see this in the team selection policy. I appreciate team selection is complex issue, but it must surely follow your ethos. Again I can only judge based on what I see on the fields, it may not be the on field stuff that holds some players back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117
I can only judge them as they play relative to each other, and side by side in the VFL, it's Polson that looks closer to AFL than some of the others.

But I no expert, in fact I'll assert based on the McKay / Kerr selection situation I know nothing at all!

One concern I have, is which player does Kerr really compete with for a AFL spot?

Who does Polson really compete with for that matter?

It may not be a level playing field!

I've heard the club and coaches throw around terms like honest, hard working, good character, but I'm yet to see this in the selection policy. I appreciate team selection is complex issue, but it must surely follow your ethos.

Im definitely no expert.

I do know a thing or two about team dynamics, but largely coaches all tend to have the same modus operandi with all their players.  At any given moment some are in favour or not.  When you're not, from the outside looking in, it can look like you are having to do twice the amount of work to make half the headway.

The only other factor is how well people execute the instructions provided to them.

i.e.  JSOS getting the chop in round 1, Cunningham getting Omitted vs North, Lamb getting Omitted on the back of his West Coast game, and Ill go early and state that SPS should get dropped this week, but probably won't.

I was bemused by all of these decisions regarding dropping players, but none of them were overly surprising as they didnt really hurt the opposition enough.

Paul Hewson

Reply #118
I was bemused by all of these decisions regarding dropping players, but none of them were overly surprising as they didnt really hurt the opposition enough.

I know that I've alluded to this earlier, but is Kerr's Carlton career in trouble because he is competing for the similar role to SoJ?

Similar size, similar speed, similar work ethic, maybe there can be only one in the team, and if that is the case is it then a level playing field?

FWIW, I'd have Kerr comfortably covering SoJ for contested marking and kicking. SoJ probably has Kerr comfortably covered at ground level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
If you read the pre-game thread half of the forum questioned the selections and why we dropped two small pressure forwards and replaced them with an inside midfielder and another half back flanker.

Just like the suns game when we replaced Kreuzer with a small, that left Casboult in the ruck.

Terrible selections that cost us both games before they even began.

What pressure forwards?

Cunningham was playing off the HBF and wouldn't chase nor tackle, Garlett was playing wing HFF and would not chase or tackle. Why do they get a game again?

If there had not been changes then Bolton would of been criticised for not putting players out who won't put in.