Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67325 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #120
I'm a little confused about the argument that we should wait until some of these kids make it to 50+ games before we make a firm judgement about them.

... why then have we made judgements and let go so many players that haven't managed that number.

We have not let any player go that we drafted since the Bolton / SOS regime started and that's all I'm concerned with.

Reply #121
What pressure forwards?

Cunningham was playing off the HBF and wouldn't chase nor tackle, Garlett was playing wing HFF and would not chase or tackle. Why do they get a game again?

If there had not been changes then Bolton would of been criticised for not putting players out who won't put in.

Jed Lamb might have been one of the forwards referred to by mbb. I can't remember exactly what was said in the pre match thread.

Reply #122
Jed Lamb might have been one of the forwards referred to by mbb. I can't remember exactly what was said in the pre match thread.

Sorry, when someone mentions pressure forwards Jed Lamb does not spring to mind at all

Reply #123
Sorry, when someone mentions pressure forwards Jed Lamb does not spring to mind at all

No, perhaps not, but I think he may have been mentioned in the pm thread as a person of interest.

Reply #124
I'm a little confused about the argument that we should wait until some of these kids make it to 50+ games before we make a firm judgement about them.

... why then have we made judgements and let go so many players that haven't managed that number.

You can make judgements on individual players, however the counter argument is that the kids are no good because the group as a collective is gone backward from 2017.

For me it was a given.   Last year our midfield was a major weakness and it batted 3 deep with Cripps, Gibbs and Murphy.   E.Curnow next in line (god bless him) is an endurance beast, but a good honest battler.    With all three in the middle we were competitive.   We just couldn't afford to lose any.

Flash forward to 2018.   No Gibbs and No Doc and blokes like SPS in their 21 game of football are in the centre square.    Are we expecting SPS to replace Gibbs and his 231 games of experience.   Or course not.

So where is the improvement going to come from to replace Gibbs and Doc to at least match last years output?   As Raydan pointed out your real improvement comes from those guys who have had 4-5 pre-seasons and our cupboard is bare in this department.  

Our young kids will struggle to have a impact in a weak side.   Like McCluggage, Ainsworth, Brodie, Bowes etc.    All still have the potential to be very good players, but it ain't going to happen 21 games into a career.   

So I ask everyone given our outs.   What made you think we would be better than 2017?

Reply #125

Do you think Houli knocked him out for craps and giggles?

With the exception of Fisher Garlett chases more than anyone.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #127
You can make judgements on individual players, however the counter argument is that the kids are no good because the group as a collective is gone backward from 2017.

For me it was a given.   Last year our midfield was a major weakness and it batted 3 deep with Cripps, Gibbs and Murphy.   E.Curnow next in line (god bless him) is an endurance beast, but a good honest battler.    With all three in the middle we were competitive.   We just couldn't afford to lose any.

Flash forward to 2018.   No Gibbs and No Doc and blokes like SPS in their 21 game of football are in the centre square.    Are we expecting SPS to replace Gibbs and his 231 games of experience.   Or course not.

So where is the improvement going to come from to replace Gibbs and Doc to at least match last years output?   As Raydan pointed out your real improvement comes from those guys who have had 4-5 pre-seasons and our cupboard is bare in this department.  

Our young kids will struggle to have a impact in a weak side.   Like McCluggage, Ainsworth, Brodie, Bowes etc.    All still have the potential to be very good players, but it ain't going to happen 21 games into a career.   

So I ask everyone given our outs.   What made you think we would be better than 2017?

I still really like Brodie - he's not getting a game at GC as Rischitelli, Miller, Swallow, etc. are playing in his position. I wonder if we could snag him on the cheap at the end of the year - even though he is still under contract?

Reply #128

Murphy wasn't supposed to be missing... and the addition of players like Kennedy and Lang and the drafting of Dow plus an expected improvement in SPS  should have given us a close to break even....otherwise Gibbs was some sort of super player.

Now fates have conspired against us...but lets assume down the track, towards the end of the season,  we have all these players fit and available.
We should have a better mid-field.

Docherty's the bigger loss....I suspect he would probably have spent some more time in the mid-field...but what we really miss is his setting up attacks from the half back. It would have been the key to the  more attacking game plan.... and the fact we tried that without his contribution was brave but obviously not very successful.

Reply #129
With the exception of Fisher Garlett chases more than anyone.

Right at the moment Garlett is a bit selective when it comes time to chase.

I still really like Brodie - he's not getting a game at GC as Rischitelli, Miller, Swallow, etc. are playing in his position. I wonder if we could snag him on the cheap at the end of the year - even though he is still under contract?

He's been injured, and they are in no rush to cook the talent!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
He's been injured, and they are in no rush to cook the talent!

Hasn't had an injury as far as I know. Into his second year and played all bar 2 AFL games in the NEAFL. Could be vulnerable like Kennedy was.

Reply #131
Hasn't had an injury as far as I know. Into his second year and played all bar 2 AFL games in the NEAFL. Could be vulnerable like Kennedy was.

I thought he missed about a month in total through injury last season, didn't he do a knee during his first full pre-season?

I don't know why he missed earlier this season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
I just don't get the "rebuild has failed". We are still right in the middle of it. When you cook a casserole, you get the ingredients, you chop them up and put them in a pot together, that's where we are. Now we have to wait 45 mins to and hour to get the finished product. This is the next 2-3 seasons. 

Problem is, this is the 3rd, 4th, 5th? 'rebuild, redevelopment, rennovation, rejuvination...'

This casserole was supposed to be for dinner......last week. By the time its cooked we'll be dead from malnutrition!
;)

Reply #133
Problem is, this is the 3rd, 4th, 5th? 'rebuild, redevelopment, rennovation, rejuvination...'

This casserole was supposed to be for dinner......last week. By the time its cooked we'll be dead from malnutrition!
;)

Hitting the draft and recruiting Daisy Thomas isn't a rebuild, restumping, reanything.

Reply #134
The Daisy Thomas who has been amongst our best this year and is still considered best 22...seems like pretty smart recruiting in hindsight ;)