Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67328 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #135
Hitting the draft and recruiting Daisy Thomas isn't a rebuild, restumping, reanything.

It was an attempted reanimation.

*results may vary*

He is the least of our worries at present.

Reply #136
The Daisy Thomas who has been amongst our best this year and is still considered best 22...seems like pretty smart recruiting in hindsight ;)

Atm Lods Daisy is very very important for us. Maybe a happy accident rather than inspired planning - who knows?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #137
Atm Lods Daisy is very very important for us. Maybe a happy accident rather than inspired planning - who knows?

FWIW, i was in favour of getting daisy for the very reason people are happy with him now.

Effort, encouragement and a role model for the younger kids.

Obviously the injuries he's copped while at the club, in addition to what he already had has dampened his performance on the field somewhat....but his heart is very much still going strong.

People lament his inclusion because it coincided with Betts leaving.....but by his own admission, Betts needed a change of scenery and that change of scenery took his career to a new level. If Betts was still with us, i doubt he'd have improved to the level he has reached and thus, the daisy issue wouldn't be such a great one.

Reply #138
Murphy wasn't supposed to be missing... and the addition of players like Kennedy and Lang and the drafting of Dow plus an expected improvement in SPS  should have given us a close to break even....otherwise Gibbs was some sort of super player.

Now fates have conspired against us...but lets assume down the track, towards the end of the season,  we have all these players fit and available.
We should have a better mid-field.

Docherty's the bigger loss....I suspect he would probably have spent some more time in the mid-field...but what we really miss is his setting up attacks from the half back. It would have been the key to the  more attacking game plan.... and the fact we tried that without his contribution was brave but obviously not very successful.

Gibbs is a seriously good footballer.   Grossly underated by these boards and Carlton Fans in general.   Most likely from frustrations that he hadn't won 4 brownlows and led us to 6 premierships.   Yeah he wasn't hard like Dusty Martin, but he was composed, clean, a great field kick and a bloody good footballer.

He is a player that can have 43 touches, 8 Marks, 10 tackles and kick 2 goals in a game.

You can't replace that with Kennedy (19 games), Lang (44) who couldn't crack the Cats Midfield, Dow (0) and SPS (21).    It's like trying to replace Steve Smith with Renshaw, Burns, Handscomb and Travis Head.   Yeah I know Gibbs isn't Steve Smith

The decison to trade Gibbs was always going to be a step back, to make up better in the long run.    6 months long run?   No.   3-4 years.

Reply #139
The Daisy Thomas who has been amongst our best this year and is still considered best 22...seems like pretty smart recruiting in hindsight ;)

No doubt.    But "IF" you are rebuidling you don't pick him up and lose the Eddie Betts compensation pick we would have got.   IE:   Not a rebuild.

Reply #140
Gibbs is a seriously good footballer.   Grossly underated by these boards and Carlton Fans in general.   Most likely from frustrations that he hadn't won 4 brownlows and led us to 6 premierships.   Yeah he wasn't hard like Dusty Martin, but he was composed, clean, a great field kick and a bloody good footballer.

He is a player that can have 43 touches, 8 Marks, 10 tackles and kick 2 goals in a game.

You can't replace that with Kennedy (19 games), Lang (44) who couldn't crack the Cats Midfield, Dow (0) and SPS (21).    It's like trying to replace Steve Smith with Renshaw, Burns, Handscomb and Travis Head.   Yeah I know Gibbs isn't Steve Smith

The decison to trade Gibbs was always going to be a step back, to make up better in the long run.    6 months long run?   No.   3-4 years.

You are right in what you say about Gibbs. You are never going to replace him with those players.

However, we were never trying to too.

What we were trying to do is get more talent on our list that will still be on our list when Gibbs has long been retired.

So long term, its a gain because we have 'something' when we would've otherwise had nothing when Gibbs hung up his boots.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has missed the point of that trade regardless of their thoughts on Gibbs.

Reply #141
Problem is, this is the 3rd, 4th, 5th? 'rebuild, redevelopment, rennovation, rejuvination...'

This casserole was supposed to be for dinner......last week. By the time its cooked we'll be dead from malnutrition!
;)

You cannot blame Bolton/SOS for the disasters of the past, they were given a crap sandwich and have done a potentially great job in filling the list with young players with upside and talent.

Reply #142
You cannot blame Bolton/SOS for the disasters of the past, they were given a crap sandwich and have done a potentially great job in filling the list with young players with upside and talent.

I'm not blaming them, i'm blaming the club, they just happen to be part of the club.

I'd like to think its different this time, and it appears it is....but you know what, i had the same thought every other time too....so forgive me for not being 'all-in'

Reply #143
I remember when Pagan was coach posters here were saying that was the first time the club has done a full rebuild and embraced the draft.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #144
You are right in what you say about Gibbs. You are never going to replace him with those players.

However, we were never trying to too.

What we were trying to do is get more talent on our list that will still be on our list when Gibbs has long been retired.

So long term, its a gain because we have 'something' when we would've otherwise had nothing when Gibbs hung up his boots.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has missed the point of that trade regardless of their thoughts on Gibbs.

Agree 100%   Some people seem surprised it put us back a step.   But here we are. 

Reply #145
I remember when Pagan was coach posters here were saying that was the first time the club has done a full rebuild and embraced the draft.

Yeah, Nah, Maybe.

Pagan got an old list.   We lost top end draft picks.    We recruited 20 recycled players that other than Scotland all sucked.

As a result we got a lot of early picks that we used rather than trade for Michael Mansfield or Stephen O'Reilly

Reply #146

Yep
He does that every week ::)

The reality is he's a 23 touch 5 mark, 4 tackle, 0.6 goal player...a good, average midfielder often critcicised for high disposal/ lack of impact.
Docherty was a much greater loss

Reply #147
Yep
He does that every week ::)

The reality is he's a 23 touch 5 mark, 4 tackle, 0.6 goal player...a good, average midfielder often critcicised for high disposal/ lack of impact.
Docherty was a much greater loss

"can have"    Key words.

If any of the 4 you mentioned did I hope they don't bump their head when they wake up.

Reply #148
Ill stand corrected if you can find the posts but I don't recall anyone saying that. It is nonsense to suggest we have done "rebuilds" before. It has never been done in our clubs history until now. DH's like Jack Elliott openly gloated something like "we dont rebuild at Carlton". Pagan drafted in all the rejects from other clubs due to the salary cap penalties. I recall an article about Pagans Foreign Legion showing all the players he traded in.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #149
No doubt.    But "IF" you are rebuidling you don't pick him up and lose the Eddie Betts compensation pick we would have got.   IE:   Not a rebuild.
When Daisy was signed on, there was no rebuild. Lets be clear about that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time