Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67356 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #165
I don't think the issue is should the club be sticking to a rebuild because the answer is an unequivocal yes.

The issue isn't even should we be doing better this year than last because it should be obvious that losing Docherty after trading Gibbs would be a set back.

The issue is whether the rebuild given these set backs is meeting expectation and if not the question must be asked if the brains trust behind it (coaches, selectors and development crew) are taking the playing group on the right path.

IMHO, we are underperforming in this rebuild. Young players seem to be under developed (particularly in comparison to their draft cohort), skills are not improving and our game plan seems to confusing players. That game plan seems to treat defence and attack as two separate things and as a result we either set up so defensively we can't score or try so hard to attack that we can't defend (a big problem when our skill deficiencies let us down so much) Again, it's just my opinion but we need to find the middle ground and do both by getting players to run both ways. I don't see this or steps forwards it.

I don't know if this means a change in the coaching panel. I see everyone's points about the fallout if Bolton is dumped but something has to change to get us back on the right rebuild path. I do think we have the right young players to develop but question how we're doing in that task of developing them.

(Ps I still vote for adding one or two marquee free agents this year. I like the idea of our young group playing with and learning from some players like Sloane and GC's Lynch)

Here endeth my rant.

Reply #166
The impression I get from reading these recent posts is that it's a case of "let's get good players into the men's seniors, start winning games of footy, and the rest will look after itself." I don't think that's the beginning and end point for Bolton and Co.

In my view, a properly reset club would not have had the salary cap saga. A properly reset club would not have had a player revolt under Pagan, with the tail wagging the dog, or at least would have sorted it quickly and behind closed doors. A properly reset club would not have had the same recruiting team in place for far too long, despite delivering poor results. A properly reset club would not have had a situation under Ratten where the GM of Football (Icke) and Ratts had a sh1t relationship, ditto Ratts and Justin Cordy, both of which were allowed to fester when they should have been sorted out quickly. A properly reset club would not have had the Malthouse package deal / lazy rebuild, where you get Mick, plus Daisy, plus Buttifant etc. You do your due diligence and check each individual properly, not just because some senior person e.g the coach wants them.

Ask yourselves this - could you see the Hawks being dragged down by these types of situations ? Could you genuinely see these situations developing at the Swans ?

Reply #167
But that's not the domain of Bolton, Paul.

That's club board dynamics and football boards are political entities.
Change at that level is subject to the whims of members and if members are behind a board they'll stay there.
If however discontent arises, often through continued lack of success, a board becomes vulnerable.
It's not something you can control.
While members are convinced of the direction the club has chosen you'll have stability...when someone pokes his/her head up and says they can do better that's when you'll have a focus for any discontent.
When you have division that's when your trouble will start.

Stability and success are the key components...if either is lacking then you have a problem.

Ask yourselves this - could you see the Hawks being dragged down by these types of situations ? Could you genuinely see these situations developing at the Swans ?

I remember a time when that was Carlton...and I remember a time when the Swans were a basket case.

Reply #169
But that's not the domain of Bolton, Paul.

That's club board dynamics and football boards are political entities.
Change at that level is subject to the whims of members and if members are behind a board they'll stay there.
If however discontent arises, often through continued lack of success, a board becomes vulnerable.
It's not something you can control.
While members are convinced of the direction the club has chosen you'll have stability...when someone pokes his/her head up and says they can do better that's when you'll have a focus for any discontent.
When you have division that's when your trouble will start.

Stability and success are the key components...if either is lacking then you have a problem.

To me, this is part of the problem, this attitude of "you look after your domain, and I'll like after mine." Every bit of the club has to work together, and all have to be working properly towards a common goal, with a common set of values. Bolton is not responsible for everything, but he is the change agent, and the prime mover behind setting values he's learned at the Hawks.

It's a domino thing. One bit of the club affects all the others in some small or significant way.

Reply #170
To me, this is part of the problem, this attitude of "you look after your domain, and I'll like after mine." Every bit of the club has to work together, and all have to be working properly towards a common goal, with a common set of values. Bolton is not responsible for everything, but he is the change agent, and the prime mover behind setting values he's learned at the Hawks.

It's a domino thing. One bit of the club affects all the others in some small or significant way.

That's the point though isn't it.
It takes a huge personality to effect that kind of culture change.
I reckon Barassi was able to do that at Carlton North Melbourne and the Swans.
He wasn't able to do the same at Melbourne.

Is Bolton a Barassi?...yet to be seen

But a lot still depends on the level of commitment to that culture change and it's not determined at our level.
It happens in the board rooms and the corridors of the club.

Reply #171

I remember a time when that was Carlton...and I remember a time when the Swans were a basket case.

I'm not saying it's terminal, but it needs to be fixed.

We won't be a successful club if our membership is crap. We won't be a successful club if key senior football people don't get on. We won't be a successful club if the players do as they please. We won't be a successful club if we don't address development, recruiting etc.

SOS told a story when he started as our recruiting manager that player files were kept in manila folders in a filing cabinet in someone's office, in 2014 ! No computers, no database............

It's beyond embarrassing. The top clubs would never in a million years be in this position.

Reply #172
Traded out a total of 0 players for picks during that period.

And?

We didn't need more picks we had 3 straight number 1 selections.

We embraced the draft and it didn't work.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #173
And?

We didn't need more picks we had 3 straight number 1 selections.

We embraced the draft and it didn't work.

And ......................... it's not the same as this rebuild in that this time we have traded out players in our best 22.

You know when you post "we have been rebuilding for 10 years blah blah blah it's not the same.    We didn't trade out a 28 year old Camporeale.   Matty Lappin.   Even Houlihan and Whitnall when Melbourne came stiffing.  

We embraced the draft.   Yeap.    

Reply #174
And ......................... it's not the same as this rebuild in that this time we have traded out players in our best 22.

You know when you post "we have been rebuilding for 10 years blah blah blah it's not the same.    We didn't trade out a 28 year old Camporeale.   Matty Lappin.   Even Houlihan and Whitnall when Melbourne came stiffing.  

We embraced the draft.   Yeap.  

We didn't have much to trade back then.  Remember when hawthorn were hunting Brett Thornton?  Should have traded him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #175
We didn't have much to trade back then.  Remember when hawthorn were hunting Brett Thornton?  Should have traded him.

2 2nd round draft picks.

Whitnall was close to going ot Melbourne at one stage.   His doing.
Houla the same.   Melbourne again.
Campo left in the pre-season draft

But you are right.    We had very few assests.

Reply #176
The impression I get from reading these recent posts is that it's a case of "let's get good players into the men's seniors, start winning games of footy, and the rest will look after itself." I don't think that's the beginning and end point for Bolton and Co.

In my view, a properly reset club would not have had the salary cap saga. A properly reset club would not have had a player revolt under Pagan, with the tail wagging the dog, or at least would have sorted it quickly and behind closed doors. A properly reset club would not have had the same recruiting team in place for far too long, despite delivering poor results. A properly reset club would not have had a situation under Ratten where the GM of Football (Icke) and Ratts had a sh1t relationship, ditto Ratts and Justin Cordy, both of which were allowed to fester when they should have been sorted out quickly. A properly reset club would not have had the Malthouse package deal / lazy rebuild, where you get Mick, plus Daisy, plus Buttifant etc. You do your due diligence and check each individual properly, not just because some senior person e.g the coach wants them.

What has any of that got to do with Bolton and co?

I don't understand your post at all. To dredge up everything that went wrong in the last decade is pointless.

The point of the  reset is lo leave all that crap behind - surely?

Reply #177
What has any of that got to do with Bolton and co?

I don't understand your post at all. To dredge up everything that went wrong in the last decade is pointless.

The point of the  reset is lo leave all that crap behind - surely?

You don't just "leave problems behind" - they don't fix themselves. Don't you think that he's inherited some of the fall out of those problems ?

My post is crystal clear - you don't just fix the men's senior team. You fix the whole club.

Reply #178
Your post is Bolton is supposed to fix Malthouse and Ratten era issues?

How? You have some specific things that should have been done by now that haven't? 

Reply #179
Your post is Bolton is supposed to fix Malthouse and Ratten era issues?

How? You have some specific things that should have been done by now that haven't?

I think PP is, rightly so, pointing out an ingrained culture, a culture of deep dysfunction, a culture that BB inherited.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17