Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67352 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #195
EDIT : one hopes.

Re the podcast, listen from about 22.40 onwards.

Bartel makes a good point, who'd have thunk we need a mature experienced proven KPF! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #197
Bartel makes a good point, who'd have thunk we need a mature experienced proven KPF! ::)

Ooh ooh *raises hand*

welcome to 2010 Jimmy.  ::)

Reply #198
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/are-the-bombers-being-badly-coached-20180430-p4zcgl.html

Despite the title, they devote a section to how we should brace ourselves for long term pain.
Ummmm, we have been doing to long term pain for years, we are experienced campaigners in this dept. ;) ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #200
I’ll admit it… I’m a rebuild sceptic...a rebuild denier even!
I have been from the start. I saw the announcement that we were rebuilding as a delaying tactic to ward off criticism of our position at the time. It came at a time when we were getting confident messages from the coach at the start of the year, only to fall in a heap in the early stages of that season.
It came in the middle of a power tussle that eventually saw the demise of the coach. You could tell that as far as he was concerned ‘rebuild’ was a bit of a dirty word.
2015 was a bad year made worse by that turmoil. After Malthouse left the agenda was probably more designed towards ensuring the best draft pick possible.

So once you start on a rebuild/reset you virtually have no choice but to follow it through. It’s not something you can change your mind about once you cut deeply into a list.
Silvagni and Bolton were, on the surface, pretty obvious choices to be the builders. The process for choosing Bolton was transparent and thorough.

My concerns are…
Have we cut too deeply leaving no depth or experience?

Would we have been in a better position with a less radical approach?

Have we made the right choices in terms of building a balanced list?

Has our deplorable development of young players improved? Our skills and decision making still seem to require more work.

Are our medical folk on top of things given some of the injuries, which seem in some cases to be overuse injuries. You can’t help rolled ankles but you can allow proper strength and conditioning to ward off soft tissue injuries and also allow adequate recuperation before putting a player back on the park.

Are we asking too much of certain players to the point where we push them to breaking point? I’m concerned with our management of Weitering who I suspect was asked to play on through injury a) because he was good and b) in an attempt to harden him up. Cripps carries such a heavy workload, especially in the absence of Murphy, that he’s also in danger of breaking. With nothing to lose this season we could even give him some weeks off.

How does Bolton go tactically on match day. Does he need assistance in the form of a mentor?

Some of our match day selections seem confusing. Is the focus development rather than results? At some point the latter must take precedence.

How do I feel two years and 6 games into the rebuild?…still sceptical but prepared to give it a little longer!

Reply #201
Nice post lods. There's plenty of ammo for the sceptics, no doubt about that.

Reply #202
I have been from the start. I saw the announcement that we were rebuilding as a delaying tactic to ward off criticism of our position at the time. It came at a time when we were getting confident messages from the coach at the start of the year, only to fall in a heap in the early stages of that season.
It came in the middle of a power tussle that eventually saw the demise of the coach. You could tell that as far as he was concerned ‘rebuild’ was a bit of a dirty word.
2015 was a bad year made worse by that turmoil. After Malthouse left the agenda was probably more designed towards ensuring the best draft pick possible.

So once you start on a rebuild/reset you virtually have no choice but to follow it through. It’s not something you can change your mind about once you cut deeply into a list.
Silvagni and Bolton were, on the surface, pretty obvious choices to be the builders. The process for choosing Bolton was transparent and thorough.

My concerns are…

Has our deplorable development of young players improved? Our skills and decision making still seem to require more work.

Are our medical folk on top of things given some of the injuries, which seem in some cases to be overuse injuries. You can’t help rolled ankles but you can allow proper strength and conditioning to ward off soft tissue injuries and also allow adequate recuperation before putting a player back on the park.

Are we asking too much of certain players to the point where we push them to breaking point? I’m concerned with our management of Weitering who I suspect was asked to play on through injury a) because he was good and b) in an attempt to harden him up. Cripps carries such a heavy workload, especially in the absence of Murphy, that he’s also in danger of breaking. With nothing to lose this season we could even give him some weeks off.

How does Bolton go tactically on match day. Does he need assistance in the form of a mentor?

Some of our match day selections seem confusing. Is the focus development rather than results? At some point the latter must take precedence.

How do I feel two years and 6 games into the rebuild?…still sceptical but prepared to give it a little longer!

...and thats all you need to know about the rebuild.

Keeps the wolves at bay. Allows the club to 'get on with it' for longer before the scrutiny comes.

I know you were suggesting it would come midway through last year from memory...but its lasted almost a full 12 months on that before any questions have really been raised and even then, its only the beginning.

The club has bought time, but its not an infinite amount.

Questions remain, and so they should, we've got nothing apart from hope thus far.

Reply #203
Yep...it's actually surprised me the length of time that's gone by before the first signs of unrest.
That tells me the club has done a very good job of 'selling' it.
So kudos at least for that. ;)

Reply #204
Yep...it's actually surprised me the length of time that's gone by before the first signs of unrest.
That tells me the club has done a very good job of 'selling' it.
So kudos at least for that. ;)

Or our supporters are so used to failure they just accept their fate now and its only a few tragics/fanatics who bother to question where we are heading.....

Reply #205
Or our supporters are so used to failure they just accept their fate now and its only a few tragics/fanatics who bother to question where we are heading.....
West Coast game a couple of weeks ago was my first game for the year and I was struck by the low crowd numbers, 27,000 approximately., even the Blazer bar on level 1 in the MCC members was shut! No doubt the interest amongst our supporter base has dropped off and frankly we are not offering much up at the moment to make them want to watch us. I'm really hoping for a better showing in the second half of the year as right now we are largely irrelevant in the competition.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #206
West Coast game a couple of weeks ago was my first game for the year and I was struck by the low crowd numbers, 27,000 approximately., even the Blazer bar on level 1 in the MCC members was shut! No doubt the interest amongst our supporter base has dropped off and frankly we are not offering much up at the moment to make them want to watch us. I'm really hoping for a better showing in the second half of the year as right now we are largely irrelevant in the competition.

The recent disruptions to rail services has been a big factor in my non attendance over recent weeks. I plan to go again for the Bummer game. TV this week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #207
I'm getting on a flight to Adelaide tomorrow morning. ;D

Then next week going with a group of mates to the Bombers game and if we lose that I'm done for the year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #208

My concerns are…

Love this post. Well done. Been sharing similar thoughts but so deep is the cave I have been in relating to footy and CFC haven't posted for ages..
My thoughts..
6 games in confirms you can't go inexperienced in so many key positions on the ground and expect to have depth in the twos. I only hope they stop playing guys who have been injured back in the ones so quickly.
If we don't find some pacey forwards who can impose pressure both in defending the ball in and impacting the score board on our current list, this must become a recruiting priority!
We still need to inject more pace.
As far as Bolton goes. I really like his focus and energy. I can only hope like many supporters he has the confidence of the players. What they are saying versus what they are showing makes me concerned. The effort in round 2 versus Gold Coast was atrocious. Hasn't improved too much since. The lack of tackles last game confirms this. Stats don't lie. 13 players had between 1-2 tackles for the match. So you combine lack of effort with lack of pace and you are miles behind. If the effort meter doesn't improve I'm not sure we are heading the right way. Games and experience certainly counts, but if the effort and skill doesn't then what are we achieving this year?
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #209
Pacy mids more important than pacy forwards....

And top quality, established mids at that.

We need 2. Fast!
Finals, then 4 in a row!