Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547771 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1335
Marsh bros slaying them in the second innings.

Reply #1336
One out, all out...lol.

Have 1, 2, 3 hopefully sorted for the summer as Renshaw will be ok. 4, 5 and 6 might be more of a worry. Hopefully the Marsh brothers do as well over summer as they did last year, where they were brilliant, but they worry me. Mitch will play because he the vice-captain. Bowlers look after themselves. Finch might stand in for Warner ok but Smith is irreplaceable.

Reply #1337
Are you winding us up Laj!

Marsh, Marsh and Langer, what a combo, I call them the FIGOs!

Fly In Get Out

It's tough to defend Aussie cricket when Warne bags the batting line up and it's hard to find reasons to disagree with him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1338
Are you winding us up Laj!

Marsh, Marsh and Langer, what a combo, I call them the FIGOs!

Fly In Get Out

It's tough to defend Aussie cricket when Warne bags the batting line up and it's hard to find reasons to disagree with him!

I don't think you read the post properly. I basically said positions 4,5 6 are an issue the Marsh's were a worry but they did have a brilliant summer last year. Probably batting them in their right position would help. Mitch is not a no.4.

Reply #1339
The Marsh's form line has been poor for a while.  Our players have to stop relying on home results and develop sound techniques for all conditions.

Khawaja has made a step forward in that area.   But the Marsh boys appear to be making the same errors and carry the same technical flaws.... They are slow learners and test level is not the place to learn technique.

A long term average at FC level of what,  35, says you are a mediocre player at best.   Stats don't lie in this case.

I don't want to see the classic selection scenario of carrying these blokes through another poor series,  then they get home and make runs which means they get in another OS tour... Where they are hopelessly deficient again.

If you cant make runs reliably (reflected by a career batting average of at least 40) I'd be trying somebody else. Score lines that read something like 0 1 0 5 178 0 2 6 0 125 isn't what a team can build around and is why Maxwell was overlooked.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1340
The Marsh's form line has been poor for a while.  Our players have to stop relying on home results and develop sound techniques for all conditions.

Khawaja has made a step forward in that area.   But the Marsh boys appear to be making the same errors and carry the same technical flaws.... They are slow learners and test level is not the place to learn technique.

A long term average at FC level of what,  35, says you are a mediocre player at best.   Stats don't lie in this case.

I don't want to see the classic selection scenario of carrying these blokes through another poor series,  then they get home and make runs which means they get in another OS tour... Where they are hopelessly deficient again.

If you cant make runs reliably (reflected by a career batting average of at least 40) I'd be trying somebody else. Score lines that read something like 0 1 0 5 178 0 2 6 0 125 isn't what a team can build around and is why Maxwell was overlooked.

Every side is poor overseas. Look at India. They are supposed to be the world's no.1 side. It's usually the rare great sides that win consistently series home and away. When it's pretty even at the top then the home sides tend to dominate. It's difficult to develop techniques for overseas conditions as you don't get those to practice on, and there are so many different types of conditions. We probably win more actual Tests away than most. The current team is pretty much a 2nd string one.

Reply #1341
Every side is poor overseas.

This series is basically on neutral ground, they are both away from home!

On the form lines last season, I'm not sure the local results are that relevant any more, many scores are made against sides diminished due to international competitions like the IPL. Players who choose to stay home and compete at domestic level are getting a much softer run because of this change in the way the sport is conducted.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1342
This series is basically on neutral ground, they are both away from home!

On the form lines last season, I'm not sure the local results are that relevant any more, many scores are made against sides diminished due to international competitions like the IPL. Players who choose to stay home and compete at domestic level are getting a much softer run because of this change in the way the sport is conducted.
Not really. This has been Pakistan's home away from home since the terrorist trouble started years ago. The pitches are not exactly like those in Pakistan, but they have been prepared in concert with Pakistan Cricket's help and preferences in mind. They are dry, spinning wickets designed for spin bowlers, something we have had trouble with for quite some time. They need not be so dry or spinning, as the water level and everything else is artificially controlled by the ground staff.
Then again, India no longer needs to supply wickets so lifeless or bounce-less, but they do. It is expected and it fits the players that come through the ranks, who never see a 'proper' wicket until they get to 1st class level.

In Australia even District cricket wickets are well prepared. We have produced flat wickets for a long time (SCG excepted). Even the wickets in Perth and Brisbane are not as bowler friendly as they were 50 years ago.

Our batsmen are flat track bullies. That is what we've made them to suit 50 over and 20 over cricket better. We struggle on moving wickets because we don't play on them. These wickets are moving wickets. They were always designed to be.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1344
One might be tempted to align our fortunes to the Test side and the competence of the ACB (CA) to the AFL

It will take years to recover

Reply #1345
One might be tempted to align our fortunes to the Test side and the competence of the ACB (CA) to the AFL

It will take years to recover

In fairness to the ACB they don't run the game, but they are to blame for not having enough foresight to realise the BCCI was raping the game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1346
I think they knew but were powerless to stop it, like everybody else. Too many $$$$ in India, noone else can compete politically

Reply #1347
I think they knew but were powerless to stop it, like everybody else. Too many $$$$ in India, noone else can compete politically

JB, the ACB cheapened the Baggy Green instead of making the wearing of it priceless!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1348
True ... the BCCI have a lot to answer for.  We're no saints, but the sub continent is full of sinners

Reply #1349
True ... the BCCI have a lot to answer for.  We're no saints, but the sub continent is full of sinners

Only sinners by our standards, in their culture we are the fools for not using every lever to secure our wealth.

I had an associate who puts it this way quite nicely.

We are trained to trade on honour, they are trained to trade on opportunity.
The Force Awakens!