Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 567788 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1365
Yeah, but at least we have the bowlers that can come in to that lineup who are test class when fit (Hazelwood, Cummings) .....sadly our batting stocks are, & have been for some time, atrocious.  The presence of Steve Smith has papered over gaping cracks for too long.  Our high-middle order collapses are now becoming the norm rather than the exception.  First round of Shield cricket has so far seen 1 score of 100 plus, and that from a bloke who was discarded for not doing much wrong in the first place.  Glad that Finch has fought for his spot, he should stay there for the summer.  Renshaw has to come in for S.Marsh at the very least & someone scoring runs in Shield has to be given a go for M.Marsh.

These collapses are just not acceptable in the slightest.

(woops...edited...I just saw the 243 from Pucovski ....that's the sort of stuff I want to see !)

He made 188 v QLD in Feb too.
He has played 7 first class games with a 180 and a 240.
Fair effort

Reply #1366
Peever about to finally stand down.
Embarrassing effort

Reply #1367
He made 188 v QLD in Feb too.
He has played 7 first class games with a 180 and a 240.
Fair effort

Yes, but he has stepped away from the game indefinitely.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1368
Peever about to finally stand down.
Embarrassing effort

Understatement JH  >:(

He should never have been in the role and I think his ineptness, some pretty ordinary appointments and State cricket associations that were stuck to the CA money teat have created the malaise that is Australian cricket.

I don't think we will ever be a dominant force like we are accustomed to but a competitive team that plays hard and fair shouldn't be too much to ask for.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1369
Sutherland should take as much heat as anyone.

Heck, a Chairman is largely a symbolic figurehead very rarely has anything to do with day to day operations....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1370
Yep,  Teflon Sutherland.   Always seemed beyond reproach but asleep at the wheel for the later part of his tenure.

The current situation is like the early 1970s, with the board treating players with contempt,  starting with the appalling treatment of Lawry stemming from the fiasco in India then SA,  then Chappell calling the board out,  then the Packer revolution....lot of parallels.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1371
Yep,  Teflon Sutherland.   Always seemed beyond reproach but asleep at the wheel for the later part of his tenure.

The current situation is like the early 1970s, with the board treating players with contempt,  starting with the appalling treatment of Lawry stemming from the fiasco in India then SA,  then Chappell calling the board out,  then the Packer revolution....lot of parallels.

Yes, you're right.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1372
Without doubt, Mark Taylor should sit in the chair

Reply #1373
Based upon what?   This is a problem I have,  what CV qualifies you for this job?   Moving in the correct political circle (from a cricketing perspective)?  Being from NSW,  being,  on the face of things a decent bloke? I would have thought that having a leading role within at least one of the state bodies was a minimum requirement.  Somebody like Shaun Graf who is plugged into all levels of state cricket not some nameless suit.

Reply #1374
Based upon what?   This is a problem I have,  what CV qualifies you for this job?   Moving in the correct political circle (from a cricketing perspective)?  Being from NSW,  being,  on the face of things a decent bloke? I would have thought that having a leading role within at least one of the state bodies was a minimum requirement.  Somebody like Shaun Graf who is plugged into all levels of state cricket not some nameless suit.

No different than the US voting in Trump.

The effectively nameless unqualified puppet suit that takes the media heat for the backroom movers and shakers! They don't give a feck what misery he makes for his people or the world, they are quietly raking in the billions in the same fashion as the very best Russian Oligarchs! The book gets a new cover, but the story doesn't change!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1375

Yes, I think someone who has done a good job with a state body would be best placed to get things in order.

Mal Speed will be on the wireless this morning and it will be interesting to hear his thoughts.  His comments a couple of days ago apparently galvanised NSW Cricket to tap Peever on the shoulder.

Mark Taylor has ruled himself out ... not that he should ever have been in.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1376
Mark Taylor has ruled himself out ... not that he should ever have been in.

Old Tubby, gets lampooned by his peers and the media, but he is smarter than they think. There is a reason he was probably the best Test Captain we've ever had!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1377
Where I am coming from is popular choice versus the correct choices.

Too many well connected suits running the game these days,  the disconnect from the interests from the game any the players is alarming.

Will say this though,  the money is filtering down to the lower levels.   All our club sides got new bags of kit this year.   It helps keep kids in the game.

Reply #1378
Where I am coming from is popular choice versus the correct choices.

Too many well connected suits running the game these days,  the disconnect from the interests from the game any the players is alarming.

Will say this though,  the money is filtering down to the lower levels.   All our club sides got new bags of kit this year.   It helps keep kids in the game.

One thing I do hope starts filtering down to the lower levels is the re-focus of the test side on sportsmanship & cutting out the on-field abuse.....the level of just abusive unintelligent rubbish that's going on in grade cricket these days is appalling...and I wonder where it came from ?

I played Grade cricket for almost 20 years (84-2003).....and I saw first hand the creep of this into the local game.  When I started as a 16 year old, I would no sooner think of sledging one of the older players than one of my own team mates !  And if there were any comments made on the field it was the senior guys that made them...and they were nearly always funny, not abusive in any way !

But in the last couple of years I played (post 2000) you even had snotty nose kids of 16 or 17 sledging guys who'd been playing for 15 years......& they weren't intelligent enough to come up with something funny, so they'd just swear at you.

Honestly, I'll be thinking twice about encouraging my 3 boys to play cricket until this sort of garbage is stamped out.  Sadly the umpires seem too scared to do anything about it at the moment, but if the change in attitude comes from the top (Aust test side), then maybe, just maybe this behaviour will be considered unacceptable at all levels of cricket sometime down the track.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1379
Old Tubby, gets lampooned by his peers and the media, but he is smarter than they think. There is a reason he was probably the best Test Captain we've ever had!

Exactly ... briiliant captain, played for the cap, maintained team harmony and never flinched from the tough qiestions posed of him.  Pity he's ruled himself out