Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda at Ikon (Read 1750 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda at Ikon

Next Saturday night at the Carlton the girls get the opportunity to play the 'Aints. 1910 starting time and we are on free to air TV!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda at Ikon

Reply #1
It would be nice to see Jayde van Dyk out there: the 'Aints have some tall forwards.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
High pressure game at Ikon.
Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #3
It would be nice to see Jayde van Dyk out there: the 'Aints have some tall forwards.
Don't have a spot for her Crash.

Laloifi and Wilson would be amongst our 'most improved' players, albeit new(ish) in the system.
Wilson is supposedly the strongest girl on the list. Laloifi is about the most athletic. Neither die wondering.
Add in two AA's in Harrington and Pound, and we have an extremely strong 4. Throw in a Hosking or a Walker/Dalton as the 5th and who would you take out?

We have the best backline in the game IMO and it showed tonight. Our girls work well as a unit. Specifically in the backline, but all over the ground really.

Reply #4
It really was a huge team effort tonight. Not many passengers. Worked well together.

Our team is getting scary good. Who do you shutdown in order to win the game?? McEvoy has been huge so far, but she didn't get a touch in the first half i don't think. Did we notice? Nope.
Sure, Prespakis is dominating the possession count, but she isn't responsible for the end result. In theory, McEvoy, Egan, Loynes, Hoskings etc could be doing the same thing - feeding the outside mids. In any event, last time she tried to get tagged she still got 20.

Harris, Vescio and Stevens up forward are 3 class players that don't need many possessions to influence the game and/or scoreboard. Very rare that you'll be able to shut down all 3.

Moody in the ruck is about as dominant as we've seen in the comp thus far, and Downie would be #1 ruck at any other team in the comp.

Book your finals tickets now......even if we still have to face the other top 2 conf b teams from here (Dees and Dockers)

Reply #5
Don't have a spot for her Crash.

Laloifi and Wilson would be amongst our 'most improved' players, albeit new(ish) in the system.
Wilson is supposedly the strongest girl on the list. Laloifi is about the most athletic. Neither die wondering.
Add in two AA's in Harrington and Pound, and we have an extremely strong 4. Throw in a Hosking or a Walker/Dalton as the 5th and who would you take out?

We have the best backline in the game IMO and it showed tonight. Our girls work well as a unit. Specifically in the backline, but all over the ground really.
I was very pleased with our defence against the 'Aints: the pressure the girls put on was excellent. Kerryn H was brilliant and Charlotte W were brilliant. Mua, as you said, Krudd, has been an excellent pick-up. Her athleticism is great. However, her disposal puts your heart in your mouth every time. Give her some time, but I don't think that disposal will ever be her strength. Nor a few others, but that is another tale.

I was a little disappointed in Lucy McEvoy's game, and Katie Loynes as well, but their negative efforts, especially in the centre square, were brilliant. The 'Aints did have a good centre square set-up, that caught us out a few times. Also, they caught us a few times with their pace from the centre. We could do with some, but that is for the next draft.
If we had played with the same commitment against Collingwood, we would not have lost.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I was very pleased with our defence against the 'Aints: the pressure the girls put on was excellent. Kerryn H was brilliant and Charlotte W were brilliant. Mua, as you said, Krudd, has been an excellent pick-up. Her athleticism is great. However, her disposal puts your heart in your mouth every time. Give her some time, but I don't think that disposal will ever be her strength. Nor a few others, but that is another tale.

I was a little disappointed in Lucy McEvoy's game, and Katie Loynes as well, but their negative efforts, especially in the centre square, were brilliant. The 'Aints did have a good centre square set-up, that caught us out a few times. Also, they caught us a few times with their pace from the centre. We could do with some, but that is for the next draft.
If we had played with the same commitment against Collingwood, we would not have lost.

re pace...
I think we have plenty from Gee, Dalton and Walker. But they are outside runners who are perhaps too light on to do the grunt work.
So the only time we are really exposed for pace is from the centre square hitouts. Saints got a few goals directly from that.

If we continue to play like that, i'm not sure there is a team that could beat us, nevermind just collingwood.

Reply #7
I have to own up to this but I couldn’t watch the women’s comp when first arrived and really wondered how it would ever survive yet slowly week by week this year I’m now finding I’m into it and actually cheering our girls on.

The quality has improved ten fold, they move the ball much better, short kicking skills are decent and overall they go in hard and it’s bloody entertaining.

They have won me over. Well done girls.

Reply #8
I have to own up to this but I couldn’t watch the women’s comp when first arrived and really wondered how it would ever survive yet slowly week by week this year I’m now finding I’m into it and actually cheering our girls on.

The quality has improved ten fold, they move the ball much better, short kicking skills are decent and overall they go in hard and it’s bloody entertaining.

They have won me over. Well done girls.

Onya Shawny. I love those "Saul on the road to Damascus" moments. Considering that the girls are part time in every sense of the word, the fact that they've achieved the current level of professionalism is near miraculous.

Great effort by them.

Reply #9
Onya Shawny. I love those "Saul on the road to Damascus" moments. Considering that the girls are part time in every sense of the word, the fact that they've achieved the current level of professionalism is near miraculous.

Great effort by them.
Indeed. And we WILL get better. In time, the competition will grow to be like the boys, but that looks some time off yet.
I am glad to say that I have been there from the first, but I do know that it is a long road ahead of it.
I am not sure of anything in life, but it looks like the girls will win a flag before the boys will.
Live Long and Prosper!