Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63036 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #210
Why were they ALL so flat yesterday.

They ALL looked tired and lethRGIC?

Was training too heavy last week?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #211
i think the honeymoon is over for Jones.

He has never excelled in man-on-man contests in his limited time as a defender.

Jones' main defensive strengths are having the speed to get to a contest; adjusting to the ball in flight and punching the crap out of it if he can't mark it. 

These strengths are taken away or reduced when our midfield imposes so little pressure that their opponents can deliver the ball to the advantage of their forwards. Pressure in the midfield leads to higher, more erratic kicks, which plays to the advantage of Jones as well as Marchbank and Weitering.

Reply #212
Bolton is a good educator of young players but a inexperienced match day coach and tactician IMO....also he seems to trouble learning from previous defeats....this game was a repeat of last years GC game at Etihad. It was the Lynch show and nothing changed, GC ran the same game plans they did then, clear out the forward line and have Lynch one on one with his opponent. We had no second player to help and if ever there was a time to play an extra player back it was yesterday.

Reply #213
Season was lost as soon as they allowed Marc Murphy to captain the club again. The worst captain in the history of the game.

As I said last year, between him and Gibbs, who is thankfully not at the club anymore, we will never progress. They have a built in loser mentality and simple accept losing as part of their makeup. I would hate to see their win loss ratio from the start of their careers. It would in the vicinity of 33% at best.

We should have traded both at the end of last year. Marc's efforts yesterday were beyond unacceptable and this permeates through the entire club. I would love the match committee to drop both him a Weitering to make a statement to say that irrespective of who you think you are, you are not to get away with that sort of effort.

Both should be dropped for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure they get it through their heads that if you want to play for the club, there is a minimum standard that is required. Of which Marc has never achieve through his tenure here. Absolute disgrace that he has been allowed to captain for so long. FFFFF****CK!

Does anyone here honestly think Marc commands respect from any of the playing group? I doubt any of the kids think, "gee I want to be like Marc". I dare say a sh*tload of sniggering goes on between them as they reflect on Marc's efforts week in week out.

Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #214
i think the honeymoon is over for Jones.

I don't think it's Jones' fault at all. It's his fellow backmen - think Simmo, Plowman and Marchbank and Byrne - not helping him out....

Cheap cough ups in midfield - with many of the half backs upfield - sees Jones left helpless down there with no support.

You simply can't chop up the ball the way we did yesterday and expect anything but a flogging.

Buddy would have kicked 17 yesterday we were that bad.

Poor poor selections by the MC lost us the game before we started....

Can anyone give me one good reason why Polson was selected? (not to single the guy out but,....)

Why the Weiters to FF 'trick' was tried again....? My God, the bloke is lost in space wherever he plays preently. He appears unhappy, so what gives?

Why O'Shea was picked and seemed to be played forward?

Why Dow gets picked - he's all at sea - simply not ready for senior footy.

Was Harry fit? He should have played....

As for Captain Cough Up - have I ever seen 30 more useless possessions....?

Why did our ball movement revert to crazily slow ineptitude? The Sunds flooded back every time and we bombed it into a stacked backline - just realy, really dumb football.

Bolton really needs to learn to develop some Plan Bs and Plan Cs.

He looked clueless yesteday quite frankly.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #215

Jones' main defensive strengths are having the speed to get to a contest; adjusting to the ball in flight and punching the crap out of it if he can't mark it. 

These strengths are taken away or reduced when our midfield imposes so little pressure that their opponents can deliver the ball to the advantage of their forwards. Pressure in the midfield leads to higher, more erratic kicks, which plays to the advantage of Jones as well as Marchbank and Weitering.
Indeed. And teams have become more aware of Jones' strengths and weaknesses as a defender. Last week Richmond shepherded him out of most marking contests, often well before the ball was 50 m away, not just 10 or 15 m.

This week he was one out against Lynch a lot, and often left in the position where he had to judge whether to go for the ball or stay with his man. He was caught out and Lynch got easy goals. In fact, Jones kept Lynch to 4 marks for the day and only 1 of those was contested. (And Jones should have got a free kick for having his head removed, but that is another tale.)

There is certainly a place for Jones, as he still can produce some of the best inspirational play that we see each week. But he is now a marked man.

If we had a bit more choice in our defence, things would be easier. But form and fitness have robbed us of our defensive flexibility. With either Alex Silvagni or Sam Rowe in, our tall defence then has the options. Both of those are better at the body on body stuff. That frees up Jones to take the 2nd forward and be a more attacking option and/or 3rd man up without being shepherded out as much.

Eventually Weitering will take that role, but he needs to rediscover himself and not be the primary defensive defender.

At the moment Plowman seems off the boil and Marchbank isn't being very physical. His interceptions are great and his game against Richmond was good, but he has to work on beating an opponent. Too many of our defenders are 'run off' types. We need a 'lock down' defender as well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #216
Agree with most of that, but I don't blame the coach for highly paid professional players being unable to execute a 20 metre kick or 3 metre handball to a teammate when under little or no pressure. That happened too many times to count yesterday. I also don't blame the coach for dozens and dozens of fumbles, simple dropped marks etc. And i don't understand the vitriol towards Murphy. He worked harder and performed better than almost all of his teammates yesterday. Yes he wasn't perfect, but he at least gave us something. The problems are elsewhere, starting with having too many players not currently up to AFL standard

Reply #217
I don't think it's Jones' fault at all. It's his fellow backmen - think Simmo, Plowman and Marchbank and Byrne - not helping him out....

Cheap cough ups in midfield - with many of the half backs upfield - sees Jones left helpless down there with no support.

You simply can't chop up the ball the way we did yesterday and expect anything but a flogging.

Buddy would have kicked 17 yesterday we were that bad.
Very true. Our defensive pressure all over the ground needs a lot of improvement. Richmond, Western Bulldogs, etc. show the way in that regard. Their pressure makes goals. Our lack of pressure donates goals.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #218
Agree with most of that, but I don't blame the coach for highly paid professional players being unable to execute a 20 metre kick or 3 metre handball to a teammate when under little or no pressure. That happened too many times to count yesterday. I also don't blame the coach for dozens and dozens of fumbles, simple dropped marks etc. And i don't understand the vitriol towards Murphy. He worked harder and performed better than almost all of his teammates yesterday. Yes he wasn't perfect, but he at least gave us something. The problems are elsewhere, starting with having too many players not currently up to AFL standard
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #219
Why were they ALL so flat yesterday.

They ALL looked tired and lethRGIC?

Was training too heavy last week?

Agree. We noticed Wright especially who seemed to be dragging his arse around. We thought he was injured. He got a little better as the game wore on.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #220
Agree. We noticed Wright especially who seemed to be dragging his arse around. We thought he was injured. He got a little better as the game wore on.

I seem to remember him getting a knock on the leg either early yesterday or last week.

Reply #221

Time will tell whether I've gone too early or not, but the question remains - why is he the last line of defence if that's not his go ?

My concern with Jones is that he's either great or crap - he's either a reborn defender and the talk of the town, or else he gets both undies and pants pulled down by blokes kicking bags on him.

Reply #222
I seem to remember him getting a knock on the leg either early yesterday or last week.

Ah! Thanks K. He looked well below par for some time. I didn't see the knock and wondered why the hell he'd been selected.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #223
Murphy got 30 possessions with no Carlton ruckmen of any sort, and he played 93% game time in the center! :o

What are you smoking?

He was garbage today.
His kicking has gone backwards at a great rate.
His physical presence is as always non existent.

Oh and I didn’t see that white line fever you claim Weitering has?

Reply #224
He was garbage today.
His kicking has gone backwards at a great rate.
His physical presence is as always non existent.

x10.

He's stopped kicking through the ball. He's a liability presently, quite frankly.

I don't think there was a greater turnover merchant than Smurf yesterday.

Maybe tired being a new Dad?
Finals, then 4 in a row!