Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 62998 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #240
Gold Coast are at best an average team with a standout tall forward. They didn't win, we lost.

Every missed kick, every poor hand pass, every fumble when not under pressure, every missed tackle and every player who didn't push hard both ways was a nail in our own coffin.

x2
They were given a free day out by us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #241
I think that may be where some of us get a bit anxious.
We've been sold this slow rebuild that when it bears fruit will see us with a sustained period of success.
Problem is there are no guarantees....and we'll soon get envious of the sides that shoot past us and wonder why we cant do the same.

Rebuild has to take into account what other teams are doing too...you cant have other lowly teams beating you and still say you are improving...
The fact is we got beat by a team who no one rates, who are usually garbage away from Qld and who knocked us over last season the same way with the same players
doing the damage. This was a bad loss for many reasons and a set back IMO.....Murphy's explanation that we got ahead of ourselves  is unsatisfactory as well,  does he think we have been dominating so much that we were in a position to sit back and dwell on the glory of a honorable loss to the Tigers and expect GC to roll over based on media hype?

Footy is a results business, comparisons are part of the game and if your direct competitors are whipping your ar$e then its time to take stock early rather than let things drag on and pretending its all ok hiding under the banner of a slow rebuild....

Reply #242
Two things.

1.  We were dead last with a better team on the field three years ago.

2.  These guys essentially have built this side that beat us from 2011 onwards.   They have one of the games premier key forwards in his peak,  a raft of talent all between 50-150 games with a couple of elders in the 200+ club and played about 4 players that were essentially newbies.   Of those 4 players only two are relatively new to AFL with one of them being nick Holman.

They didn't go past us recently.   They have a serious coach for the first time in their lives and they are hot to trot.  We thought we went past them last year but the reality is we went backwards with the trading of Gibbs and when Charlie and cripps are 100-150 gamers that's when we will be where the Gold Coast is at yesterday. 

Reality gives you a smack in the face sometimes.   I think too many have been reading fly boys posts and had too large an expectation on this season because they think blokes that have shown a little bit are going to be seasoned performers.  In reality it takes seventy games to show someone's stuff and our first year rebuild players like weitering and Curnow are only just starting to approach fifty games.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #243
Fair call. Also means we are still at least 3-4 years from being competitive?

Reply #244
Two things.

1.  We were dead last with a better team on the field three years ago.

2.  These guys essentially have built this side that beat us from 2011 onwards.   They have one of the games premier key forwards in his peak,  a raft of talent all between 50-150 games with a couple of elders in the 200+ club and played about 4 players that were essentially newbies.   Of those 4 players only two are relatively new to AFL with one of them being nick Holman.

They didn't go past us recently.   They have a serious coach for the first time in their lives and they are hot to trot.  We thought we went past them last year but the reality is we went backwards with the trading of Gibbs and when Charlie and cripps are 100-150 gamers that's when we will be where the Gold Coast is at yesterday. 

Reality gives you a smack in the face sometimes.   I think too many have been reading fly boys posts and had too large an expectation on this season because they think blokes that have shown a little bit are going to be seasoned performers.  In reality it takes seventy games to show someone's stuff and our first year rebuild players like weitering and Curnow are only just starting to approach fifty games.

Fact.. a lot of supporters wouldnt know who half the GC players were they are that low profile ......Witts and Lyons who beat us up in the middle are no big name players, we have the more senior well thought of players. ie Murphy, Curnow Cripps They all have more games experience than their opponents.....
Dew is a novice senior coach, Bolton and he are assistants both from big successful clubs but Bolton has more experience as a senior coach........Lynch is their only marquee player with Ablett gone...

Reply #245
Could be worse, we could be the Bulldogs..lol. Something isn't right there.

Reply #246
Could be worse, we could be the Bulldogs..lol. Something isn't right there.

Jim, they are no good off the field...recruiters didnt get on and have all left, new CEO's every 5 mins and Peter Gordon has taken on a Kim Jong method of ruling.....
Beveridge is still a good coach IMO but has got a bit too cute and ahead of himself moving players around everywhere and they need to get back to what they were doing.
They are self destructing from within and I'd say it wont change till Gordon quits or is pushed out and they can start again....

Reply #247
1.  Gold Coast might turn out a much better side than anyone thinks they are this year.  They have good key position players in good form and have enough players around the ground that are 100 games or thereabouts to touch us up. 

Gold Coast may be the best side in the league at the end of the year (i doubt it though) but we looked a lot better against the best team of last year only a week prior.

Even if they are the best side in the league, effort is something we can control...and it wasn;t there.
Also, despite some perceived pressure, skill level is something we can control...and it also wasn;t there.

Following on from all of the above, we had more inside 50's than they did (67-50!), yet never looked in the contest.

Regardless of how good Gold Coast may or may not be, we were pathetic.

Reply #248
Bolton is a good educator of young players but a inexperienced match day coach and tactician IMO....also he seems to trouble learning from previous defeats....this game was a repeat of last years GC game at Etihad. It was the Lynch show and nothing changed, GC ran the same game plans they did then, clear out the forward line and have Lynch one on one with his opponent. We had no second player to help and if ever there was a time to play an extra player back it was yesterday.

Missing his mentor?
As much as some weren't keen on Neil Craig, his role may have been another factor.
No doubt there are another 99 contributing factors. Some we might guess, others will never be aired.

I'm trying to keep my eye on the big picture.
- 3rd yr into rebuild with a novice coach and changing coaching staff
- Some quality in with some ordinary temporary patches added to existing but aging quality. Unproven middle tier
- loss of top shelf players in ruck, middle (Gibbs), and back (Doc)
- unlucky run of seasonal injury and form issues
- some early signs of the big plan starting to coalesce
- a couple more pieces still to come (?)
- time for the group to gel and practice the various game plans

I hope this all comes together in the next year. If it does we should be on the up 2019 and the following several years.
In the meantime, I'm glad it's Easter because chocolate = comfort ????

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #249
Fair call. Also means we are still at least 3-4 years from being competitive?

Not competitive,  but challenging for a flag.  This "build" we embarked on has been about keeping us off the bottom of the ladder whilst all our players who are "not up to it" start to move on.

It gets worse.  We start to lose blokes like Murphy,  Simpson and the like over the next couple of years.  These guys are our most able to compete players at the moment (4 quarters week in and week out for an entire season). 

@EB1, put the two twenty twos that ran out yesterday next to each other and you start realising just how under rated gc are.

Swallow or cripps?
Martin or Wright?
Lynch or Curnow?
Witts or Levi?
Harbrow or Simpson?
May or Jones?

If you picked one side out of both our twenty twos yesterday to play next week, Gold Coast would Have more players than us in their best 22 by two to one, because at the moment we are promising but not delivering. 

@kruddler,  I didn't see many who contested worse than they did the previous week, we just aren't big and strong enough yet.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #250
As has been pointed out previously, Bolton has had as much time with the list as what Malthouse had. Arguably, he's had a lot more support behind him too.

I call crap.

Malthouse was given a side on the fringes of the top 8.   A kick away from a Prelim 12 month earlier.  It had Judd, Gibbs, Scotland, Murphy, Waite, Betts, Simpson, Henderson, Kruezer and co.   He was allowed to top up with Thomas.

Bolton was given 4-18 side that had palmed off a lot of it's A grade talent.   Had to trade Gibbs and did so for the long term future of the club.   No way would Malthouse would have traded the long term for the short term.

As disappointing as Saturday was it's ridiculous to compare two.

Reply #251
AFL legends blast ‘deplorable’ skill level

Footy legends Wayne Carey and Paul Roos have taken an axe to the current game, describing what they’ve seen this weekend as a disgrace.

Carey said outside of the rematch between last year’s grand finalists Richmond and Adelaide, the skill level on show had been “deplorable”.

“St Kilda couldn’t hit the side of a barn,” Carey told Triple M.

He also criticised Carlton for missing targets with two metre handballs and dropping chest marks. “Some of the skill level this weekend has not even been at VFL level, below that,” Carey said.

“Players today cannot kick on their opposite foot. A lot of people applaud when they’re running straight at the goal and they’ve got no left foot and they do a checkside and everyone says what a great goal. What a load of crap. He should have kicked it on his left foot.

“That’s what astounds me. These elite, professional players are no good on their opposite side.”

Roos said it was the long-term effect of the increasing amount of time kids were spending doing their homework and playing computer games instead of kicking a footy.

“If you’re a kid now you’re doing half, a third, a quarter — whatever it may be — of the kicking (we did),” Roos said. “When they come into the game at AFL level they haven’t had the background of skill ... it’s a numbers game.”

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/wayne-carey-and-paul-roos-reckon-the-current-skill-level-in-the-afl-is-no-good?station=Sydney

Reply #252
I call crap.

Malthouse was given a side on the fringes of the top 8.   A kick away from a Prelim 12 month earlier.  It had Judd, Gibbs, Scotland, Murphy, Waite, Betts, Simpson, Henderson, Kruezer and co.   He was allowed to top up with Thomas.

Bolton was given 4-18 side that had palmed off a lot of it's A grade talent.   Had to trade Gibbs and did so for the long term future of the club.   No way would Malthouse would have traded the long term for the short term.

As disappointing as Saturday was it's ridiculous to compare two.

You can call crap. The points you raised as to why actually had nothing to do with why the comments were made.

I never suggested Mick showed more improvement than Bolton.
I never suggested the list was in a better/worse state before/after Micks tenure.

Simply drawing the comparisons that both were coach for a similar period and the natives start beating their drums when results don't show an incline.
IMO Bolton has had the whole team behind him, whereas Mick was at least partially hamstrung. He wouldn't have had Murphy as captain for one. Since your captain sets the tone for the whole team, its a significant yet often overlooked issue within the club...and that spans back further than Mick as well.

My only issue with Bolton up to this point in time has been his inability to pick a side that can actually win.

Others have been more scathing in regards to Bolton than that.

Reply #253
Reality gives you a smack in the face sometimes.   I think too many have been reading fly boys posts and had too large an expectation on this season because they think blokes that have shown a little bit are going to be seasoned performers.  In reality it takes seventy games to show someone's stuff

That's an 'average'. Plenty of players perform vey well indeed well before 70 games...

What was witnessed yesterday was deplorable on many levels - skill, effort, intensity, lack of leadership etc.

If you don't have high expectations - in whatever walk of life - well you aren't going to get far..

I'm happy to chalk yesterday up to an aberration - both by the players and by the coaching staff.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #254
You can call crap. The points you raised as to why actually had nothing to do with why the comments were made.

I never suggested Mick showed more improvement than Bolton.
I never suggested the list was in a better/worse state before/after Micks tenure.

Simply drawing the comparisons that both were coach for a similar period and the natives start beating their drums when results don't show an incline.
IMO Bolton has had the whole team behind him, whereas Mick was at least partially hamstrung. He wouldn't have had Murphy as captain for one. Since your captain sets the tone for the whole team, its a significant yet often overlooked issue within the club...and that spans back further than Mick as well.

My only issue with Bolton up to this point in time has been his inability to pick a side that can actually win.

Others have been more scathing in regards to Bolton than that.

So the only comparisons we are making is that they have coach for the same period.   Fair enough.  Makes sense.

Mick was hamstrung?   How?   He didn't get his Captain?   He got everything thing else.   Coaches.   High Performance Team.   Players he wanted.    Hamstrung?   Please.   You are grossly over valuing the role of the Captain.   There are no rules stopping anyone else provding leadership.   

I think you are overrating the guys running around for the Bullants getting beaten most weeks by 8 goals.    No magic solutions there, unless you want to take a backward step like Flyboy and play Graham and Kerridge