Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 62995 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #285
Thanks for making this point.  Twenty of the team that beat us yesterday are battle hardened players where we are relying on twenty to fourth gamers backed up by a bunch of retreads who were given the flick essentially.

Some of them might come good, others won't.

@LP did you watch Gowers today he was pretty ordinary and missed a couple of set shots in Levi fashion.

Twenty of the team that beat us yesterday are battle hardened players where we are relying on twenty to fourth gamers backed up by a bunch of retreads who were given the flick essentially.

Yet Holman, Lyons, Witts are all retreads, so called....surely that alone destroys the argument entirely.

Bolded below - are or will be, post injury, regular 22 players.

Casboult, Levi
Jones, Liam - would get a game in most AFL teams
Phillips, Andrew
Shaw, Matt (R)
Mullett, Aaron
O'Shea, Cameron
Lamb, Jed
Kerridge, Sam
Docherty, Sam
Graham, Nicholas
Plowman, Lachlan
Byrne, Ciaran
Cripps, Patrick
Lang, Darcy

Of the others, Kerridge is good enough but Bolts would prefr Dow to wander around lost out there getting 7 (bad) possessions.

Lamb, O'Shea, Mullet - can play a role well enough. Mullet was better than Murphy on the weekend.

Byrne - who knows, he always gets injured but in O'Shea we have a ready made and arguably better player.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #286
a)  No.   It was a poor performance.  Our forwardline was terrible.   No space.   No one creating space.   No one leading towards the ball carrier.   Best at this were Curnow, Thomas and Lamb.  Weitering was lost and just got in the way.   Not a forward, however with Marchbank and Jones we don't really need 3 talls.    Struggled for a match up, however for his development I would prefer to play him in the seniors.  

b)  None have really bothered me.    I would have liked to see McKay play much for the same reasons as Weittering.    I don't think he is ready, but the more games he and Curnow play in the same forwardline the better.   Silvagni I love but I not sure what role he plays in the modern game.   Not tall enough/Not quick enough.   Hard to find a similar type in any of the successful sides.

c)  List wise yes.   I like the influx of youth, but it was alway going to bring pain.   We (Carlton Supporters) piss and moan about Gibbs and Murphy, but they are class players and you can't expect the kids to step up and replace a Gibbs.    He will dominate at the Crows with Crouch (x2) and Sloane.    He will make dills like Spanner look silly.   Yeah we are better off without Gibbs and Murphy ;(
re a), been saying the same for weeks, nobody agreed with me (well maybe 1) and now every man and his dog is saying the same.

but....b) you say the selections don't bother you.
So there is no spot for Weitering, which you admit. He is not required, but you have no issue with him being picked every week? For his 'development' it is best? What is more important, his development or the teams?  Playing him is not helping us win. Picking a better suited team will give us a better chance at winning.
Sure, its not win at all costs, but we don't need to try and lose the matches do we?

c) i've got no problem with playing the kids. I've got no problem with much maligned players Gibbs and Murphy playing. I've got no problem with trading out Gibbs and Murphy types for an increased level of talent coming in. I have a problem with a very lobsided list balance. I have a problem with a coach who cannot pick a side on any given day that resembles something that can stop the opposition.
Sure, pick kids. Sure pick talent.
But if your 22 best and talented kids are all key backs, you cannot pick that side, obviously. I'm not sure Bolton and co are following that kind of guidelines.

Reply #287

LP..Think they may have thought we might be able to run GC off their feet with our new game plan, Poulsen has worked as tagger
in the NB's and maybe they thought he could lock down on one of the GC quicker mids or small forwards...looks like we were prepared to concede in the ruck and maybe hope Casboult might take a few marks around the ground and get involved in general play a bit more than Witts. Witts surprised with his endurance and had only Day as support so he rucked most of the day....
re Kreuzer for Polsen....
I have no doubt they tried to run GC around by playing a smaller side. Basically conceding the ruck.
Not a terrible strategy if you plan to do that from day 1.

However, when you have already brought in an abundance of tall timber to play down back (despite having no matchups) that doesn't agree with the match day strategy. Specifically playing Weitering, allowed them to run around and off us. Playing Casboult in the ruck for the majority of the game helped them too.
If we really wanted to run them around we should've played Curnowfides in the ruck. Due to the ruck rules, he doesn't have to jump into Witts, nor worry about others jumping into him. So all he has to do is be there at centre bounces, and run off him the rest of the game. Leaving Casboult to be the anchor at home.

The club tried to half ar$* 2 opposing strategies at once which meant we were really doing neither.

Reply #288
We need to forget the draft pick.

If yuo're not in form and there's a worthy replacement - down you go, up they come.

This should apply to Weiters, Paddy Dow, Polson, Byrne....

Weiters - must go to the 2s. And the psych.

Dow - is he really learning anything being a witches hat in the 1s. gets a handful of useless possessions. Let him get leather poisoning n the 2s first. Too much pressure on the kid. And it shows. Play Kerridge until Dow earns a spot.

Polson - simply should not have been picked. And get rid of the mo kid, that's dumb!

Byrne - Willo the obvious replacement....but a few weeks and game time off.

Lamb - low numbers, needs to convert everythig that comes his way. Lucky Pickett ko'd and Garlett finding his feet. Lang in for Lamb?

Those first three mean we have been playing with 19 players essentially. N ot going to win a local chook raffle doing that...

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #289
I have said this time and time again - Matty Kruezer is our most important player by the mile, we have no structure and our groups confidence falls to bits when his out. We were shot from the first bounce against a team that considering our development, we should win at least 8 out of every 10 times we play them. Cripps aside we are small light and weak where the ball is won without MK in there and to replace a player like that with a small light kid is amateur hour and showed our selectors to be fools this week

While i know we should never have such a reliance on one player until we get at least 2 more decent sized midfielders it wont change.

We wont beat any AFL team without him playing this year.

Reply #290
I've got a hunch that we wouldn't be discussing so many selection/personnel shoulds and shouldn'ts had we simply been more efficient and made no where near as many mistakes... and I suspect that, as Murphy suggested, we got ahead of ourselves and perhaps even entered the game somewhat 'cocky', and paid the price. That kind of crap shows a lack of discipline and on-field leadership. Every side is allowed 'one of those games' each year... Time for the coaches to lay down the law a litter 'stronger.'

However, I do believe that Weitering, Cuningham and Polson need to make way for others (Kreuz for Weitering, SOJ for Cuningham and Lang/Graham/Kennedy or Kerridge for Polson.) We don't want a hatrick of losses with Rottingwood delivering the third.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #291
I have said this time and time again - Matty Kruezer is our most important player by the mile, we have no structure and our groups confidence falls to bits when his out. We were shot from the first bounce against a team that considering our development, we should win at least 8 out of every 10 times we play them. Cripps aside we are small light and weak where the ball is won without MK in there and to replace a player like that with a small light kid is amateur hour and showed our selectors to be fools this week

While i know we should never have such a reliance on one player until we get at least 2 more decent sized midfielders it wont change.

one of my biggest concerns with our list and the line up against the suns. We go in with a number of smaller players most of whom are still young and not strong enough. A number of our (more) senior players are still small guys - Murphy, Curnow, Simpson, Wright and Lamb compared to the senior groups the top teams are putting out on the ground each week. Then add in younger guys like Fisher, Polson, SPS and Dow (and maybe Garlett) who are still building their bodies and we are quite a small team. After watching Sydney vs Port yesterday and bits of other games this weekend we do look far smaller than a lot of the competition. Even our KPP like Weitering, Marchbank, Mckay and to a degree SOJ are still filling out. (I'd say Curnow too based on age but he already looks a ready).

This of course is still no excuse for all the fumbles and poor disposal on Saturday.

Reply #292
They went in with a bad attitude Saturday, just like our last two games against Brisbane at the Gabba. Great efforts against good teams had them thinking Brisbane and Gold Coast would be way easier and played accordingly. After those two Brisbane disasters we picked up alot with good wins not long after. We need to realise that crap sides are at our level and we have to play well to win.

Reply #293
one of my biggest concerns with our list and the line up against the suns. We go in with a number of smaller players most of whom are still young and not strong enough. A number of our (more) senior players are still small guys - Murphy, Curnow, Simpson, Wright and Lamb compared to the senior groups the top teams are putting out on the ground each week. Then add in younger guys like Fisher, Polson, SPS and Dow (and maybe Garlett) who are still building their bodies and we are quite a small team. After watching Sydney vs Port yesterday and bits of other games this weekend we do look far smaller than a lot of the competition. Even our KPP like Weitering, Marchbank, Mckay and to a degree SOJ are still filling out. (I'd say Curnow too based on age but he already looks a ready).

This of course is still no excuse for all the fumbles and poor disposal on Saturday.
We have always looked a smaller side and bigger side bash us up.
I can't remember us having bigger bodies than anyone. We just seem to always look smaller.
Not enough time on the juice.  :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #294
Leaving Casboult to be the anchor at home.

Freudian slip?

The longer we cling to this attempted solution, the longer any real progress is delayed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #295
We have always looked a smaller side and bigger side bash us up.
I can't remember us having bigger bodies than anyone. We just seem to always look smaller.
Not enough time on the juice.  :o

Agree.. been smaller than most for 10 years plus, this idea that small kids fill out is wrong, big kids usually fill out more and get bigger, we need to recruit some bigger bodied kids that can throw their weight around.

Reply #296
re a), been saying the same for weeks, nobody agreed with me (well maybe 1) and now every man and his dog is saying the same.

but....b) you say the selections don't bother you.
So there is no spot for Weitering, which you admit. He is not required, but you have no issue with him being picked every week? For his 'development' it is best? What is more important, his development or the teams?  Playing him is not helping us win. Picking a better suited team will give us a better chance at winning.
Sure, its not win at all costs, but we don't need to try and lose the matches do we?

It's a catch 20/20.   Maybe 2 or 3 sides have a match up for all of Marchbank/Jones/Weitering.   Ideally we would get by with 2 and Plowman who can play oversized at a pinch.   So what's the catch?

For the future it's

Marchbank, Weitering then Jones.

On form it's

Jones, Marchbank then Weitering.

Marchbank and Weitering are blue chip talents who have only played 22 games and 44 games.    They need to play AFL level to together.    Not VFL.   So what do you do?

Drop Jones?   Harsh.
Drop Weitering?   Yeah maybe now.   But I never hated the decision to play him, even though it clearly didn't work.    Doens't mean the idea wasn't great.

Thirdly if you are going with 2, then maybe (just maybe) you might look at trading one at seasons end.    Playing VFL is not great for their trade value.

I don't think it's as simple as dropping him and waiting until he has a match up.  

Reply #297

Kruezer played in the same game at Etihad last season and lowered his colours to Witts as did Cripps to Lyons, they rocked up with the same game plan and Lynch torched us again......you have to start looking at the coaches box too when you analyse deja vu defeats...

Reply #298
Kruezer played in the same game at Etihad last season and lowered his colours to Witts as did Cripps to Lyons, they rocked up with the same game plan and Lynch torched us again......you have to start looking at the coaches box too when you analyse deja vu defeats...

Good points EB, but nevertheless we are way too light and weak as a midfield group even when at full strength. When MK is missing this area is miles below AFL standard and don't reckon the best coach in the comp would win many games with this group.

Considering we have been rebuilding trade wise for 3 years I would have hoped this part was addressed by now. Our recruiters select too many small body midfielders IMO and considering the lack of protection surprised how good Fisher and SPS are tracking. Imagine those 2 playing and protected in a midfield like the Swans  :-[.

Reply #299
Our recruiters select too many small body midfielders IMO and considering the lack of protection surprised how good Fisher and SPS are tracking. Imagine those 2 playing and protected in a midfield like the Swans  :-[.

It does seem we still draft and trade for messiah types, and cut their throat when they turn out to be good ordinary footballers!

Any of our kids, surrounded by a decent spine that protects and supports them would competition superstars.
The Force Awakens!