Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63006 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #315
While we continue to play blokes like Casboult we won't get answers, he is clearly not the answer, not even his supporters think that!

2 wrongs don't make a right.

Wrong #1. Not finding a replacement for Casboult thus far. - SOS's call.

Potential wrong #2. Not playing him in the side currently.

I would be happy if at the end of this year, Casboult never pulls on a navy blue jumper again.
BUT, we simply do not have the list beneath him to be afforded the luxury of not playing him.

I think we can play him and McKay in the same side....with curnowfides as well. Kreuzer and Jack too.

Reply #316
No opposition club defense is going to focus on Casboult any more, Charlie is the go to man.

No opposition will take Casboult seriously because they know Casboult hurts us as much if not more than he hurts them! If I was an opposition coach I'd be looking at defensive structures that ensure Casboult is Carlton's go to option.

Casboult on his best free wheeling day kicks 3 or 4 goals and Carlton probably lose, Charlie looks like he could kick 10 tomorrow.

As 2nd banana to Charlie I'm afraid Casboult draws no heat, and have no doubt Casboult is already 2nd banana. We need a 2nd KPF that will attract some defensive focus to allow Charlie to flourish.

Maybe Rowe and Charlie is a viable F50 setup, would Rowe, Charlie, Silvagni, Marchbank be a potential option?

Ultimately it should be McKay, Kerr, Charlie, Silvagni but we cannot carry all those kids at the moment, we need an experienced older head in there, but one that can lead the kids not feed off them.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #317
No opposition club defense is going to focus on Casboult any more, Charlie is the go to man.

No opposition will take Casboult seriously because they know Casboult hurts us as much if not more than he hurts them! If I was an opposition coach I'd be looking at defensive structures that ensure Casboult is Carlton's go to option.

Casboult on his best free wheeling day kicks 3 or 4 goals and Carlton probably lose, Charlie looks like he could kick 10 tomorrow.

As 2nd banana to Charlie I'm afraid Casboult draws no heat, and have no doubt Casboult is already 2nd banana. We need a 2nd KPF that will attract some defensive focus to allow Charlie to flourish.

Maybe Rowe and Charlie is a viable F50 setup, would Rowe, Charlie, Silvagni, Marchbank be a potential option?

Ultimately it should be McKay, Kerr, Charlie, Silvagni but we cannot carry all those kids at the moment, we need an experienced older head in there, but one that can lead the kids not feed off them.

Casboult 1st banana or 2nd banana....he's better than whoever is 3rd banana.

It sucks but its true.

Rowe, long term, is not really a better option up forward than Casboult. Age not on his size.
Marchbank forward is taking away our best performed defender to date. Is it worth it? No.

McKay should get a game, and i'm not opposed to sending Casboult back to the 2's to do so, but i know our scoring power would be down because McKay is still finding his feet.

We need to play Casboult, McKay AND Curnowfides together. The latter should draw the heat, and can roam through the wing if need be. The other 2 can fight over 2nd and 3rd defender, and we can exploit that.

Its not a good place to be, but we need Casboult in the side. The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be. Come post R23 though, all bets are off.

Reply #318
We are three years away so there’s no reason not to play McKay.
Plenty of others like Hawkins and Daniher were given a couple of years to grow into the role

Reply #319
Casboult 1st banana or 2nd banana....he's better than whoever is 3rd banana.

It sucks but its true.

Rowe, long term, is not really a better option up forward than Casboult. Age not on his size.
Marchbank forward is taking away our best performed defender to date. Is it worth it? No.

McKay should get a game, and i'm not opposed to sending Casboult back to the 2's to do so, but i know our scoring power would be down because McKay is still finding his feet.

We need to play Casboult, McKay AND Curnowfides together. The latter should draw the heat, and can roam through the wing if need be. The other 2 can fight over 2nd and 3rd defender, and we can exploit that.

Its not a good place to be, but we need Casboult in the side. The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be. Come post R23 though, all bets are off.

Casboult won't exploit anything, that is the problem with that logic.

Marchbank was a turnover merchant last game, at least 3 goals were directly scored due to his poor disposal, two of them coast to coast. Like Simmo getting a sh1te load of footy isn't good enough if the opposition exploit your poor disposal and you don't get back to help. On one of those occasions, Marchbank charged down the ground, kicked the ball directly to a nest of GC players, and jogged over the interchange gate to let others fix up his feck up! I appreciate that might no be all his fault, but shizen it looked bad!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #320
Casboult won't exploit anything, that is the problem with that logic.

If you have Curnowfides, Casboult and McKay in the same forwardline....name me a side with 3 backmen tall enough to take them. You can't because we are hoarding them all.

The moment you put a smaller bloke on any of them, thats the moment that player gets an advantage. Is it enough to win us a game? Depends what our mids can do and how good our delivery is. But put simply, Casboult will be a better player if he has McKay in the side with him.

Reply #321
If you have Curnowfides, Casboult and McKay in the same forwardline....name me a side with 3 backmen tall enough to take them. You can't because we are hoarding them all.

The moment you put a smaller bloke on any of them, thats the moment that player gets an advantage. Is it enough to win us a game? Depends what our mids can do and how good our delivery is. But put simply, Casboult will be a better player if he has McKay in the side with him.

You don't need a tall to take Casboult, that is another flaw in the logic, he's easily manhandled and out-bodied by medium defenders. Harass him, take away his run, and he's finished.

Secondly, even on his good day he's probably got to get twice as much footy as the others, to have just half the amount of impact.

If you want to sacrifice McKay to be a patsy for Casboult, you may as well replace Casboult with Kerr or Silvagni.

Let's face it, Charlie is the man now, for us and for the opposition.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #322

Agree on Casboult and Mckay playing together and Casboult being better for it......Richmond have three tall defenders in Rance, Astbury and Grimes...McIntosh aint small either. ;)

Reply #323
You don't need a tall to take Casboult, that is another flaw in the logic, he's easily manhandled and out-bodied by medium defenders. Harass him, take away his run, and he's finished.

Secondly, even on his good day he's probably got to get twice as much footy as the others, to have just half the amount of impact.

If you want to sacrifice McKay to be a patsy for Casboult, you may as well replace Casboult with Kerr or Silvagni.

Let's face it, Charlie is the man now, for us and for the opposition.

Your hatrid is blinding you from logic. Again, let me point out that i have been on the replace casboult bandwagon for years.

re bold, don't think about it that way.
Think about it as Casboult being the patsy for McKay.

Reply #324
Think about it as Casboult being the patsy for McKay.

So Charlie is top banana, no need to make any assumptions there.

You think opposition teams will seriously focus on Casboult as the 2nd forward and leave a McKay, Kerr, Silvagni or others as the 3rd or lesser options?

I say there is a long history of our performance that says that's bogus logic.

I think if Charlie, Casboult, Wright, Silvagni and McKay are in the mix Casboult will be last on the oppositions hit list because he hurts them so little, he has little physical presence, can be covered by a smaller player, isn't a significant scoring threat and even if he gets hold of the ball he is likely to shoot us in the foot at any moment.

Is that what we want, is that fair of those 20 year olds?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #325
No one will leave Casboult free to mind McKay (initially).

He's not that good but he's good enough to be the difference between winning and losing.

It's also worth noting that he kicks straighter when he doesn't have to take a big contested mark.

We could even instruct him to pass it off every time he takes a mark and that would be enough to free up McKay to score (who's not that great a kick either I might add).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #326
So Charlie is top banana, no need to make any assumptions there.

You think opposition teams will seriously focus on Casboult as the 2nd forward and leave a McKay, Kerr, Silvagni or others as the 3rd or lesser options?

I say there is a long history of our performance that says that's bogus logic.
Your bogus logic is ignoring that on the odd occasion, when casboutl has been the top banana, that he has managed to eek out 4 goals on 5 occassions, and 3 goals on 8 more occasions. Playing the numbers game says 1 in 7.3 games, he'll kick 3 goals or more. Can he be relied upon, week in week out? No. Can he do some damage as the 2nd or 3rd tall....yes. The numbers don't have a bias, unlike you.

I think if Charlie, Casboult, Wright, Silvagni and McKay are in the mix Casboult will be last on the oppositions hit list because he hurts them so little, he has little physical presence, can be covered by a smaller player, isn't a significant scoring threat and even if he gets hold of the ball he is likely to shoot us in the foot at any moment.

Is that what we want, is that fair of those 20 year olds?

If he is last on their hit list or if he is in the VFL, you are not getting any extra help to the 20 year olds under your scenario. Having him in the side, at least he can throw his weight around.

I don't expect you to change your mind, but perhaps you can open it up a bit.

Reply #327

Maybe Essendon - Hurley, Hartley and Brown, or West Coast - McGovern, Barass an Schofield.

But I agree, making each of them accountable for the Curnow Show, Casboult and Mckay is far better than letting Charlie get double teamed by the loose man back.

Reply #328
Your bogus logic is ignoring that on the odd occasion, when casboutl has been the top banana, that he has managed to eek out 4 goals on 5 occassions, and 3 goals on 8 more occasions. Playing the numbers game says 1 in 7.3 games, he'll kick 3 goals or more. Can he be relied upon, week in week out? No. Can he do some damage as the 2nd or 3rd tall....yes. The numbers don't have a bias, unlike you.

If he is last on their hit list or if he is in the VFL, you are not getting any extra help to the 20 year olds under your scenario. Having him in the side, at least he can throw his weight around.

I don't expect you to change your mind, but perhaps you can open it up a bit.

And how many of those 4 goal games helped get us a win?

He doesn't throw his weight around, that is part of the problem!

The game plan we use that sees him score doesn't help us, that is my main point, we have tried him over and over and he takes us nowhere!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #329
And how many of those 4 goal games helped get us a win?

He doesn't throw his weight around, that is part of the problem!

The game plan we use that sees him score doesn't help us, that is my main point, we have tried him over and over and he takes us nowhere!

Your logic is completely up $hit creek.

The games he kicks goals in we lose...so lets not play him. Or lets not let him kick goals?

Wait, last week Curnowfides kicked 5 as did Wright. But we lost. Yep, better drop them too. Didn't help us get a win. The game plan we use that sees them score doesn't help us win.

Yes, i am being sarcastic. Sadly, you are not.

Give it up.

We don't have a 100 goal a game player collecting dust in the VFL. Excluding casboult...
Our #1 target has played about 25 games.
Our #2 target has played 2.
Our #3 target has played 0.

Love him or hate him, we are better off playing him at present because we got SFA else. That which we do have would benefit from having him in the side.

Missed 8 weeks from casboults hit.
[flash=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/v/N3u1epveWm0[/flash]

Ask him if he'll be looking over his shoulder next time he plays Carlton.