Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Practice match Blues vs. Richmond Thursday 21 March (Read 4973 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Practice match Blues vs. Richmond Thursday 21 March

Reply #30
Given that players who cross from other countries eg the Irish and Americans are able to pick up the game with ZERO underage experience I cannot see how limited underage experience can be a death knell for Matt Owies.

Owies was an elite junior footballer, played above age and was on the radar of the TAC Cup squads before he chose basketball.

Fans seem to be happy to ignore this fact, but think it really tells us that success or failure will be more a mindset issue than a physical barrier for Owies.
The Force Awakens!

Re: VFL Practice match Blues vs. Richmond Thursday 21 March

Reply #31
Given that players who cross from other countries eg the Irish and Americans are able to pick up the game with ZERO underage experience I cannot see how limited underage experience can be a death knell for Matt Owies.

Dont get me wrong, I think he'll be ok, but of the number of converts that try it out, most of the successful ones are quite limited.

Zach tuohy is the exception not the rule.  As is Mason cox.  For each one of these guys, there are at least 5 others that barely rate a mention if they even get a game.  Then you have your ciaran Sheehan and ciaran Byrne types too.

Going back to owies, elite junior footballers are fine, but how can you dictate whom they are elite next to, when elite juniors dont necessarily become elite seniors if they become seniors at all?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson