Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 59440 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #30
I like him, ruckman size KP player who kicks the ball really well, plays in front, takes a good mark and is no bunny on the ground either...comparison player for me is Ben Griffiths from Richmond although
Mckay is better on the ground and a left footer...

Cons: can look slow, 2nd efforts....

If next years draft is mid field rich and deep, would it be prudent to get KP players this year, as there seems to be many around our picks. Given that KP takes longer to develop as well, should be be getting Weitering, Collins and McKay with our first 3 and best available at 19?

Would a spine of Collins, Weitering, Cripps, Jacksch, McKay be something to build around? Add Plowman down back and Casboult/Kruezer in the forward pocket and we seem to have structure.

Plus they are all Vic boys, no go home factor.

Reply #31
I think get KPs in Weitering then best available. If two players are similar, get the KP, but if (for example as he won't be) Parrish was around and Curnow at our pick... I would be taking Parrish still.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #32
KPs for me

we need an urgent replacement for jamison now

mids next year

Reply #33
we need an urgent replacement for jamison now

We surely have witches hats in the club somewhere.

We need to make sure the KPs are not jumping up 5-10 spots though because they are KPs it is too closely following the rule that we need a KP now, we can trade for them as well and they don't all need to be taken with our best picks.

I think we all know we need a spin, but don't waste a pick if we don't really rate the kid is all I am saying. We don't have to get all of our spine in one year. Weitering if going to be a great start.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #34
If next years draft is mid field rich and deep, would it be prudent to get KP players this year, as there seems to be many around our picks. Given that KP takes longer to develop as well, should be be getting Weitering, Collins and McKay with our first 3 and best available at 19?

Would a spine of Collins, Weitering, Cripps, Jacksch, McKay be something to build around? Add Plowman down back and Casboult/Kruezer in the forward pocket and we seem to have structure.

Plus they are all Vic boys, no go home factor.

I really like the Collins, Weitering KP back setup....that would be my priority this draft....we also need another bigger mid urgently IMO and Oliver would be my man....I like Hibberd as my allrounder at pick 19 although some rightly so like Rioli at 19 as we do need another clever small forward even though we have Tutt, Boakhorst, and now Lamb, Sumner.
McKay wouldnt be a priority  for me this season although if we missed Collins he would be my next choice in the KP 's....

Mitch Brown from Sandringham would be my backup in the PSD.....

Like your thinking with the go home factor.....Francis would be a good get but you know the Crows and Port will come after him and we always lose out ...

Reply #35
Those ones I listed MIO have been projected around our picks.

Reply #36
Yeap sorry Ray
Was more meaning how they are rated by the club, but in principle I think you are pretty well spot on, in that if they are rated there, yeah take the big guys.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #37
We need so many of the young guys to improve next year just to make it to competitive.

If you're hoping for more than a couple of wins... brace yourself.

Wins are irrelevant in 2016, consistency of effort and competitiveness is what we are looking for.

Over time, as the players grow together, wins will come on the back of the hard work put in during next year and the one after.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #38
Wins are irrelevant in 2016, consistency of effort and competitiveness is what we are looking for.

Over time, as the players grow together, wins will come on the back of the hard work put in during next year and the one after.

x2 Time to rebuild culture and standards from the ground up.

Reply #39
The future :

B : Buckley, TBA, TBA
HB : Plowman, Weitering, Docherty
C : Boekhorst, Murphy, TBA 
HF : Jacksh, TBA, Kerridge
F : Sumner, TBA, TBA
R : Kreuzer, Cripps, Gibbs
I/C : TBA, Phillips, TBA, TBA

Smith, Whiley, Holman, Lamb, Graham are yet to fully show their stuff but should have genuine claims to a spot in the team over the coming years.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #40
While wins in the immediate term could be described as "irrelevant" we do need to be capable of winning some games, of being fiercely competitive and of avoiding absolute floggings. We will need to see some reward for our efforts.

Constant losing without hope or reward can be very damaging and lead to the destruction of club morale as we have seen in recent years. Some of our players have no doubt been very bruised psychologically, in some cases to the point that they may never perform well again whilst at CFC. Rehabilitation will take time.

So, we tread a fine line into the future between rebuilding but being able, at the same time, to demonstrate positive progress and that will involve getting a few wins IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
The future :

Smith, Whiley, Holman, Lamb, Graham are yet to fully show their stuff but should have genuine claims to a spot in the team over the coming years.

No Levi Sheik?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
The future :

Might be going a bit early on Sumner and Boekhorst given their innocuous start to their careers  and I reckon Gibbs might be trade bait for some multiple picks sooner than later..Just my opinion...

Reply #43
No Levi Sheik?

Well it seems fair.

If Jaksch steps up as KPF and you have Kreuzer / Phillips doing the ruck / forward thing, with Plowman / Weitering defense. You cannot also have the likes of Casboult, Rowe and Jamison in the one side.

Something has got to give, but it's good to have pressure for spots! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
While wins in the immediate term could be described as "irrelevant" we do need to be capable of winning some games, of being fiercely competitive and of avoiding absolute floggings. We will need to see some reward for our efforts.

Constant losing without hope or reward can be very damaging and lead to the destruction of club morale as we have seen in recent years. Some of our players have no doubt been very bruised psychologically, in some cases to the point that they may never perform well again whilst at CFC. Rehabilitation will take time.

So, we tread a fine line into the future between rebuilding but being able, at the same time, to demonstrate positive progress and that will involve getting a few wins IMO.

Agree cookie. The ideal future that people seem to think is almost a fait accompli if we really bottom out, may in fact never eventuate. Must be competitive from day 1.