Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 60644 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #45
Well it seems fair.

If Jaksch steps up as KPF and you have Kreuzer / Phillips doing the ruck / forward thing, with Plowman / Weitering defense. You cannot also have the likes of Casboult, Rowe and Jamison in the one side.

Something has got to give, but it's good to have pressure for spots! :D
[/quote

There is a factor called injuries.
also, Weitering will be a first year player. While I expect ( hope ) he will play plenty of senior footy in 2016, it may not all be as a KPP.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #47
Might be going a bit early on Sumner and Boekhorst given their innocuous start to their careers  and I reckon Gibbs might be trade bait for some multiple picks sooner than later..Just my opinion...

Agreed, both of the young guys could flounder & fall and eventually feel the axe, no-one really knows what will happen with them, fingers crossed it is positive.

As for Gibbs, I have already predicted he will be part of a mega-deal next year.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #48
Gibbs being a senior player but so far having demonstrated only limited leadership skills/aptitude will no doubt work against him at CFC, but may not necessarily be a problem at another club with an established leadership culture.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
The AFL website was ranking all midfields in the comp. Found it pretty interesting to look how all the engine rooms in the AFL look stacked up against each other.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-29/the-afls-best-midfields-in-2016-where-does-your-team-rank

No surprises with the top teams, but what I found interesting was that bar Sydney the top few teams all have the perfect setup in terms of attributes in their midfields. They all actually have legit protype gut busting wingers on the wings, not any random midfielder which the rest of the comp pretty much have. This might explain the issue with Sydney a little.

For e.g:

C: Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Bradley Hill
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis

Compared to us:

C: Kade Simpson, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy

First of all Simpson will spend most of the year in a back pocket/flank and Curnow will tagging. Boekhorst is the logical 'winger' we have, with Cunningham the next best as a natural winger type if he is that. I'm assuming he is a pacy outside type from what I have read/heard.

This area is a bit of pet obsession of mine and feel it is always underrated. With a solid foundation to the midfield in Cripps we desperately need to add to this part in the next couple years. Would like to see Buckley step up on one of those wings, Graham to work alongside Cripps, Boekhorst on the other and Cunningham in the wings. No pun intended.

Looking past Murph and Gibbs as I am not sure they will be there for 17, we still need another bull to assist Cripps, another pacy gut busting runner and hopefully Graham keeps tracking along nicely.

Reply #50
You know our midfield will be good when we can afford to have Murphy and Gibbs out of there and not look any less convincing.

Ideally, Murphy would play on a wing, Gibbs a half forward flank playing onball in spurts but spending most of his time as a finisher as he is deadly on the run from about 50 out, and we would have a midfield setup that included a few boys who are good at getting it, and damaging with it in the engine room like Graham, Cripps and at least one more like Carrazzo who can shutdown an opponent and win the ball himself.

Hopefully we can play Thomas on a wing this season and we get value for him.

Too much wishfull thinking in there, odds are it wont happen.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51

Looking past Murph and Gibbs as I am not sure they will be there for 17, we still need another bull to assist Cripps, another pacy gut busting runner and hopefully Graham keeps tracking along nicely.
C Curnow is your man I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
C Curnow is your man I reckon.

x2....losing Judd, Carrazzo and Bell has left us a bit short in the midfield size wise and while C. Curnow is being talked up as a forward
I reckon he will end up a onballer and be Cripps right hand man...

Reply #53
Imagine Curnow just explodes onto the scene next year and takes the comp apart! And all the other clubs that passed up on him rue their mistake, and we get lucky for once! It could happen.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
Curnow will be doing what Everitt does, just better more vigorous .

Having said that, he's not quite ready to roll I think. Has a very unusual body shape.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #55
Imagine Curnow just explodes onto the scene next year and takes the comp apart! And all the other clubs that passed up on him rue their mistake, and we get lucky for once! It could happen.

We didn't get lucky with Cripps?  :o

Reply #56
We didn't get lucky with Cripps?  :o

Well not so much because we targeted him from a few years back did we not? Cripps was just brilliant drafting. Curnow probably fell through to us because of the drink drive issue.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #57
Well not so much because we targeted him from a few years back did we not? Cripps was just brilliant drafting. Curnow probably fell through to us because of the drink drive issue.

I'm pretty sure that we targeted Charlie too; the drink driving incident just meant we got him with a lower pick.

While there's talk of him being used in the midfield, he only had limited time there in the TAC Cup before getting injured.  The club refers to him as a key forward and his strengths are his marking and tank and I reckon he'll be used as a lead up forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
Ditto... Will be play forward with "shocktrooper" stints on ball like Roughead.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #59
Ditto... Will be play forward with "shocktrooper" stints on ball like Roughead.

Not sure prof.

This guy has enormous running power and if you watch him train he loves to be on the move.

I reckon he'll be something like a Kouta/Fyfe.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................