Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 VFL Practice match Carlton vs Richmond (Read 11671 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 VFL Practice match Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
An over the top goal, whoopdy do. 

He got pinged for chucking it, don't see how that wasn't his fault.  Should have the strength to protect the ball enough to get rid of it correctly.

Watch the last quarter again, he was insipid.  He ran around chasing kicks while tiger half forwards ran around doing whatever they wanted.  Two of the inside 50's were dreadful, one was a meaningless 15 yard kick oton a bloke's head, the other was a finger breaking mongrel bomb.  Worthless.  Both got rebounded instantly.

His ball use ATM is criminally bad.

So he got a few stats early, the truth is that his effectiveness was zero. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
He got pinged for chucking it, don't see how that wasn't his fault. 

When you get a fist on the ball, and the ump doesn't see it. That's how its not his fault. Even the commentators pointed that out.

Reply #18
Does 10/22 mean 45% on target or 10th best out of 22 ?

Either way it's not good enough for a senior player, apparently a leader, on big coin.

Face it Kruddler, he's cooked and shouldn't be out there.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
Having watched both games, I thought that Cuningham's effort, defensive pressure, disposal effectiveness and impact was well ahead of what Thomas produced.  I'd have Graham ahead of Thomas too, despite his limitations.

Palmer was another player who, while not really standing out, did his job and was composed (as you would expect).

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Worried: Gus Sheehan, who was playing well, didn't reappear after half time.

I watched Sheehan walk off at half time. He had changed into the T-shirt top that the blokes who didn't play in the first half were wearing, didn't have any ice or strapping, still had his boots on and wasn't limping or in obvious pain or distress.  My thoughts were that he was only scheduled to play in the first half.  Hopefully, I'm right.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Harry McKay will significantly impact games in 2 years time.

Reply #22
When people handball it to you the ground you are going to have handling issues. Murphy cost us that goal, not Daisy.

Daisy had 5 I50's, a goal and a goal assist. Was far from the worst bloke out there.

Rewatch the last few minutes of the game. Tigers running the ball on the near side wing, tight to the boundary. I forget who it was but there was some carlton bloke jogging along behind him and the ball. Daisy comes flying past him to put the pressure on. Doesn't get a stat, but gives effort 100% of the time.
That's why he is in the side. To show the kids effort is unconditional.

Nobody is saying he is still a gun footballer. He is paid more than he should be, but that is not Daisys fault. Judge him on what he does on the ground, not his paycheque.

@Baggers...
VFL form doesn't translate to AFL form.
I'm talking effort at AFL level. All those players i've mentioned have put in terrible efforts at AFL level in terms of body language and effort.
With Kruds on this, if part of this process is to show the younger players what's required to achieve success at senior level, from preparation to on field effort Daisy would be ahead of many. Unfortunately the ability he once had had been ravaged by injury, but obviously the club see's that effort as part of the group showcase for the younger players. Playing Graham, Jones, etc it's been done , they might grab some extra numbers at times more than Daisey but ultimately no more part of the future, but if Daisey can impart a skill set to the younger brigade showing disaplne & attitude , would rather that that some one picking up a few more stats in a game or two. It's about the journey

Reply #23
Caught up with Baggers, Amers and RiverRat; what a crew  8)

No sign of Crash in his blue suit.
I was around, sitting next to the race our players came out. I have to do a better job of being visible.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
I was around, sitting next to the race our players came out. I have to do a better job of being visible.
In fact, I was sitting just a few seats away from Stephen Silvagni and the rest of the Carlton people. However, they were very quiet. I used to learn a lot from listening to David Parkin bellowing at the players from the sidelines. SOS barely spoke a word.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
I watched Sheehan walk off at half time. He had changed into the T-shirt top that the blokes who didn't play in the first half were wearing, didn't have any ice or strapping, still had his boots on and wasn't limping or in obvious pain or distress.  My thoughts were that he was only scheduled to play in the first half.  Hopefully, I'm right.

Phew. Pretty sure you'd agree that he played well until he left the ground.

Cuningham is a conundrum. I agree with you that his skills and offensive game is first rate, but can't agree re defensive game, he does tackle well but too often he gives up in heat. Case in point was right in front of us when contesting for an overhead mark and when he realised his opponent was better positioned he made no effort to spoil, just gave up. He does this kind of stuff repeatedly. And then he'll go missing, just vanish off the face of the earth! We don't need another 'cameo' midfielder. His work needs to be on consistency/concentration. The abilities are there in spades, but between the ears is another story.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #26
Phew. Pretty sure you'd agree that he played well until he left the ground.

Cuningham is a conundrum. I agree with you that his skills and offensive game is first rate, but can't agree re defensive game, he does tackle well but too often he gives up in heat. Case in point was right in front of us when contesting for an overhead mark and when he realised his opponent was better positioned he made no effort to spoil, just gave up. He does this kind of stuff repeatedly. And then he'll go missing, just vanish off the face of the earth! We don't need another 'cameo' midfielder. His work needs to be on consistency/concentration. The abilities are there in spades, but between the ears is another story.

I reckon he needs a lot more time yet Baggers.
The coaches will be working with him pretty closely . He did show some good signs last year.

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #27
In fact, I was sitting just a few seats away from Stephen Silvagni and the rest of the Carlton people. However, they were very quiet. I used to learn a lot from listening to David Parkin bellowing at the players from the sidelines. SOS barely spoke a word.

I was in the next bay for the first half Crash.  I noticed SOS and Bolts in deep conversation. 

I did notice someone in a blue suit but it was Bear Gleeson  :)

Reply #28
I reckon he needs a lot more time yet Baggers.
The coaches will be working with him pretty closely . He did show some good signs last year.

I really do hope you're right. I hope it is just immaturity. He needs to be far more disciplined. I saw him playing for the NBs same time, same game last year and the difference/improvement was not enough, but the season is early and I hope he really learns to get some intensity, desperation and consistency because there is so much natural talent there. Sort of bloke that might need 'tough love.'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
There were things to like about Buckley. He did a reasonable job in defence and produced some really good runs. However, his biggest sin is the sin of omission: he just doesn't get the ball enough. There was a period when he got really made a move from deep defence to deep attack, but the last kick didn't hit the target. He had a couple of possessions and got around half a dozen Tigers like they were witch's hats.
Live Long and Prosper!