Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59336 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #420
Who does the review?
Who decides whether to follow through with the recommendations of the review?
Who decides what action to take against those who initiated the plan in contrast to the reviews recommendations?

1: Independent review panel headed by a Brian Cook or similar.
2: The club/board are paying for a review, I expect the board and president to follow through and I would
have a member of the review panel attached to the board to monitor progression and the club to have regular follow ups.
3: Those who initiated the plan who were still in office after the review along with any new staff employed would initiate
the new recommendations. This isnt the Waffen SS we are conducting a review not a purge.

Thats a very PG rated disney movie wrapped up with a nice little bow.

Reality is much different.

A review will find that someone, somewhere made the wrong call on something. Be that anyone from the president, to the ceo, to the board as a whole, to the coach or coaching assistants, recruiters and list managers, fitness staff etc.
Someone somewhere was responsible for giving the above person that role/responsibility that ultimately f***ed up. Are they now held accountable too? What about the person that hired that person?

eg. Lets say review shows our football department is not functioning correctly. Perhaps its suggested that we have too many people controlling the midfield area which is leading to confusion. What do we do?
1. Do we sack/fire the weakest link in that midfield coaching group?
2. Do we move that person into a different role at the club?
3. Do we blame Bolton for structuring the staff in that manner and realise he is in above his head?
4. Do we blame the bloke who OK'd the structure of the football department and ultimately allowed this problem to occur?
5. Do we blame the guy who hired the guy to oversee the football department as he hired someone who was unfit to do that role?
etc

In the process of doing this, someones nose will get out of joint (if not multiple peoples). Perhaps a player might lose his favourite coach. Perhaps that coach jumps ship next year. Perhaps that player follows suit. Perhaps the overall gains expected from this reshuffling does not yield any improvement in results/functioning. Perhaps it ultimately has a negative effect.

You can play the 'what if' game and go through millions of permutations of what could and could not happen one way or another....and all of that is based on someones opinion, that may not be any more correct than you, I, or the people in charge currently.

Reply #421
Desired result:  I just want us to win some bloody games.

Q.   How do we accomplish this?

A.  .......
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #422
Thats a very PG rated disney movie wrapped up with a nice little bow.

Reality is much different.

A review will find that someone, somewhere made the wrong call on something. Be that anyone from the president, to the ceo, to the board as a whole, to the coach or coaching assistants, recruiters and list managers, fitness staff etc.
Someone somewhere was responsible for giving the above person that role/responsibility that ultimately f***ed up. Are they now held accountable too? What about the person that hired that person?

eg. Lets say review shows our football department is not functioning correctly. Perhaps its suggested that we have too many people controlling the midfield area which is leading to confusion. What do we do?
1. Do we sack/fire the weakest link in that midfield coaching group?
2. Do we move that person into a different role at the club?
3. Do we blame Bolton for structuring the staff in that manner and realise he is in above his head?
4. Do we blame the bloke who OK'd the structure of the football department and ultimately allowed this problem to occur?
5. Do we blame the guy who hired the guy to oversee the football department as he hired someone who was unfit to do that role?
etc

In the process of doing this, someones nose will get out of joint (if not multiple peoples). Perhaps a player might lose his favourite coach. Perhaps that coach jumps ship next year. Perhaps that player follows suit. Perhaps the overall gains expected from this reshuffling does not yield any improvement in results/functioning. Perhaps it ultimately has a negative effect.

You can play the 'what if' game and go through millions of permutations of what could and could not happen one way or another....and all of that is based on someones opinion, that may not be any more correct than you, I, or the people in charge currently.

So you dont want to do anything just in case some one gets their nose out of joint or offended.....?

Reply #424
When in doubt swap the forwards and the backs. ;D

It's amazing lods.

This is a joke, but prior to euro 2004, the Greek national team coach otto rehagel started off as a new coach.

His first move was to play the defenders forward, and the forwards back.

The next result was a 5-1 loss to Finland.

After that game, certain players who wouldn't do what was asked were told to leave the national team.

From that day forwards the Greek national team was the most committed I've ever seen and lifted the most unlikely European championship ever seen and will ever see again.

Some of these methods are not there for the reasons people think they are.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #425
It's amazing lods.

This is a joke, but prior to euro 2004, the Greek national team coach otto rehagel started off as a new coach.

His first move was to play the defenders forward, and the forwards back.

The next result was a 5-1 loss to Finland.

After that game, certain players who wouldn't do what was asked were told to leave the national team.

From that day forwards the Greek national team was the most committed I've ever seen and lifted the most unlikely European championship ever seen and will ever see again.

Some of these methods are not there for the reasons people think they are.

Didn't work so well with Fev and Pagan. Gehrig kicked 4 goals in the first quarter on Fev.  :-[

Reply #426
So you dont want to do anything just in case some one gets their nose out of joint or offended.....?

No, again, this is not my personal opinion.

What i'm saying is people need to be careful what they wish for.

People generally fear change. That is, unless something bad is happening then any change is good by comparison. However, the emotional state that people are in when they want change generally overlooks even the possibility that a change could be worse.

Ultimately, what we are doing now doesn't work, so do something else.
vs
Will us doing what we are doing now, work for us later on?

I said this earlier. People were all for a rebuild. Everybody's idea of what that meant was different. IMO, the fine print never needed to be communicated to the public as any variation (forward or back) from that would lead to headaches. However, now it seems your average joe believes that results from said rebuild should be more advanced than what they currently are. Does the club bend to average joe? Does the club stick fat with what they are doing, knowing that being a challenger at this stage is not within our reach?

Basically, anyone who says "its simple, all we need to do is...." has no idea. Its not simple.

We can play the what if game until the saints win their next flag, but sometimes the best thing to do is hurry up and wait.

Reply #428
That was a learning experience.
Fev kicked 7 and was BOG the next week ;D

To me it's a difference between how Pagan disciplined and educated players while BB plays them under repeated adversity, of course Fev wasn't a beginner like McKay or Charlie.

But I think BB could learn from Pagan in this regard, as I'm not sure long ongoing adversity does much for players. I think they just need some exposure to the pressure of adversity to make them appreciate what they're missing! Especially when our defence falters under a lack of assisting pressure from our midfield or forwards, if they are not going to work for the team let them experience the pain!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #429
That was a learning experience.
Fev kicked 7 and was BOG the next week ;D

A learning experience, perhaps, but one you'd not want to repeat anytime soon.

Fun fact of the day. In that Saints game they kicked 31.10.196

That 196 points is the largest ever score we've conceeded.

Another fun fact. Not only did fev get 7 goals and BOG from the next match, the match after that he kicked 6, and the one after he kicked 8. 3 weeks in a row he got 6 or more goals and 3 brownlow votes in each game.

Reply #430
BTW....I don't really think we should swap our forwards and backs. ;D

A learning experience, perhaps, but one you'd not want to repeat anytime soon.

Fun fact of the day. In that Saints game they kicked 31.10.196

That 196 points is the largest ever score we've conceeded.

Another fun fact. Not only did fev get 7 goals and BOG from the next match, the match after that he kicked 6, and the one after he kicked 8. 3 weeks in a row he got 6 or more goals and 3 brownlow votes in each game.

Ahh the good old days when results didn't matter and it was all about learning. :D

Reply #431
BTW....I don't really think we should swap our forwards and backs. ;D

Ahh the good old days when results didn't matter and it was all about learning. :D

Ziiinnnnnggggg.

A review must be done by someone / organisation that is 100% objective and nothing to do with the CFC (whoever did Tiggers and Rottingwood would be the obvious choice). My concern is that we'd get Juddy's buddy (who's now on the Board) to do the review.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #432
Ross Lyon has the Dockers back up the ladder.

Reply #433
Ross Lyon has the Dockers back up the ladder.

Yep. Not sure why he gets a bad rap here. We support the worst side in the comp for the last 20 years. We shouldn't be paying out on anyone.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #434
Yep. Not sure why he gets a bad rap here. We support the worst side in the comp for the last 20 years. We shouldn't be paying out on anyone.

I'll pay out on Melbourne. 

They're worse than we are over the last twenty years although ask me again in two years and it will likely be us.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson