Skip to main content
Topic: Stosur vs Sheik 2015 (Read 34822 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stosur vs Sheik 2015

Reply #75
Here you go Sheik.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #76
If we applied the "Stosur has done more in tennis than anyone on here" argument to the CFC, a site like this would not even exist. Any one of the more maligned CFC players has played more senior games than any of us ever will.

The disappointment with Stosur is that she is perceived as an underachiever, someone who has potential for far better results than what she is actually achieving - whether this is true, or whether she is in fact an average player who had some good form or good luck etc. a few years back, I guess only time will tell.
For what it is worth, Stosur seems to be on a distinct decline. She isn't young for tennis, although some, like the Williams sisters, have shown that a good enough tennis player an go if the hunger is there and the fitness is there. I'd say that Stosur is showing signs of neither of those things being true.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #78
For what it is worth, Stosur seems to be on a distinct decline. She isn't young for tennis, although some, like the Williams sisters, have shown that a good enough tennis player an go if the hunger is there and the fitness is there. I'd say that Stosur is showing signs of neither of those things being true.

Yes, I’d say her playing career isn’t a long term proposition at this stage.  Of course, I’d rather watch Sam than Tomic or Kyrgios. In fact, I’d find something else to watch if either of those two was playing ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
Yes, I’d say her playing career isn’t a long term proposition at this stage.  Of course, I’d rather watch Sam than Tomic or Kyrgios. In fact, I’d find something else to watch if either of those two was playing ????
I can understand how you feel. Those two have so much talent, but not have the mindsets to go on to greatness. They would fail our recruiting process, if they were footballers, that is for certain.
It is a pity, but that is the way it is.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #80
I like watching Kyrgios play, I'm sure more Aussies would support him if his name was Clarke.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #81
I like watching Kyrgios play, I'm sure more Aussies would support him if his name was Clarke.

Nah, we call Hewitt a wanker and he won US Opens while being only half the pork chop Kyrgios is!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
I'm not a big tennis follower but I reckon it has nothing to do with ethnic background.

It's how you present yourself.

Rod Laver was on one of the today shows through the week,
Champion player, champion bloke.

Reply #83

I reckon that it has nothing to do with his name (or ethnicity).  It is his personality, public comments, behaviour, occasional lack of effort and waste of talent that turns me off and I suspect that applies to many tennis fans, not just Aussies.

Ash Barty enjoys great support because she always has a crack and conducts herself with dignity and good humour.  Her Indigenous heritage is not a factor.

Alex de Minaur lacks Kyrgios's talent but also enjoys great support because he gives 100%.

However, I would support Kyrgios if his name was "Clark", but not "Clarke"; the E is an important factor  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
Kyrgios gets a pass for behaving like an idiot on court as he does a lot of work with charity off the court.

https://nkfoundation.com.au/

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/nick-kyrgios-ive-found-my-purpose/#76DAQfJqdLSkWhPH.97

For the first time, I feel like there is a reason for me to be doing what I’m doing. Tennis is a great life – we’re well paid and the perks are pretty good – but it can feel empty if you’re just doing it for the money.

I know what it’s all for now. You’ve probably heard me say a few times over the years that I don’t want tennis badly enough. But when I’m working on the NK Foundation and our Melbourne facility, I cast my mind forward to all the disadvantaged kids I’ll be helping. I’m playing for them now.

For the first time, I feel like there is a reason for me to be doing what I’m doing. Tennis is a great life – we’re well paid and the perks are pretty good – but it can feel empty if you’re just doing it for the money.

I love kids. I get more happiness from helping kids out and watching them succeed than I do from my own wins on the tennis tour. It’s always been that way.

I remember Piotr with happiness and sadness. He was a little guy with terminal brain cancer. The We The People organisation put us in touch.

I had a hit-up with Piotr instead of a practice session before my match at the Australian Open this year.

Piotr said it was one of the best days of his life but, honestly, I’m not sure which of us had the better day! It was awesome.

Piotr passed away a few months later. I will never forget him.

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/nick-kyrgios-ive-found-my-purpose/#m0PLQVVYfK4fk5Mf.99

These guys can be whatever you want them to be if you want to see them that way.  Not many are as worried about helping others, and it says more about their character than anything they do playing sport.

He could be so much more if he was more dedicated to his profession, but sometimes you have to just admire someone for simply not taking life too seriously and leaving a legacy that is much bigger than themselves.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #85
I reckon that it has nothing to do with his name (or ethnicity).  It is his personality, public comments, behaviour, occasional lack of effort and waste of talent that turns me off and I suspect that applies to many tennis fans, not just Aussies.

I reckon it has a hell of a lot to do with it TBH. Don't you find it a little odd that the media go after those who's names happen to be Kyrgios, Kokkinakis and Tomic? I for one certainly think its "odd" as opposed to coincidence. Tomic has issues, lets just say he doesnt come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. He says inappropriate things at inappropriate times, isn't managed or mentored properly and his actions and words sell papers. NK just gets pounded no matter what he does, he reacts  and it sells papers. TK doesnt say much but gets injured alot so they right negative stuff about him...to sell papers. The media have now created this group of three outcasts all tarred with same brush. It sells papers.
Lets face it, Hewitt was a DH when he was young. But he tried his guts out so he was given a "leave pass".
Good lord I'm sounding like LP ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #86
I reckon it has a hell of a lot to do with it TBH. Don't you find it a little odd that the media go after those who's names happen to be Kyrgios, Kokkinakis and Tomic? I for one certainly think its "odd" as opposed to coincidence. Tomic has issues, lets just say he doesnt come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. He says inappropriate things at inappropriate times, isn't managed or mentored properly and his actions and words sell papers. NK just gets pounded no matter what he does, he reacts  and it sells papers. TK doesnt say much but gets injured alot so they right negative stuff about him...to sell papers. The media have now created this group of three outcasts all tarred with same brush. It sells papers.
Lets face it, Hewitt was a DH when he was young. But he tried his guts out so he was given a "leave pass".
Good lord I'm sounding like LP ;)

I really don't think so G2C, particularly with the way the supporters get behind de Minaur and I reckon Kokkinakis has a fair bit of support (not to mention the almost rabid Aussie support for Bagdatis in days gone by). I agree that Hewitt was a pain in the ask for much of his career but his redeeming feature was that he kept trying to be his best and actually enjoyed more success than his ability and body should have achieved.

Tomic and Kyrgios got a good run when they were younger but they have become flogs, particularly the former.  Of course, they haven't got to that point entirely on their own.

I'd like to see both of them pursue another career for 12 months, then decide if tennis really is their preferred career.

Reply #87
I really don't think so G2C, particularly with the way the supporters get behind de Minaur and I reckon Kokkinakis has a fair bit of support (not to mention the almost rabid Aussie support for Bagdatis in days gone by). I agree that Hewitt was a pain in the ask for much of his career but his redeeming feature was that he kept trying to be his best and actually enjoyed more success than his ability and body should have achieved.

Tomic and Kyrgios got a good run when they were younger but they have become flogs, particularly the former.  Of course, they haven't got to that point entirely on their own.

I'd like to see both of them pursue another career for 12 months, then decide if tennis really is their preferred career.
Tomic is fortunate he can hit a tennis ball, don't know that he could manage much more than a labouring job.
I don't think NK is a flog at all. He is just a different beast he does things his way. He is comfortable in his own skin, perhaps people need to ignore the media and just accept him the way he is. Tennis isnt the end all be all for him, get over it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
Tomic is fortunate he can hit a tennis ball, don't know that he could manage much more than a labouring job.
I don't think NK is a flog at all. He is just a different beast he does things his way. He is comfortable in his own skin, perhaps people need to ignore the media and just accept him the way he is. Tennis isnt the end all be all for him, get over it.

I don't think Kyrgios is comfortable in his own skin G2C.  In fact, I'm not sure that he knows where his skin is at  :-\

There are times when his tennis is sublime and his behaviour impeccable ... then there are times when he appears not to give a fat rat's clacker and his behaviour is appalling, eg the "Kokkinakos banged your girlfriend" comment and his over the top reaction to perfectly reasonable and measured comments from Healy and Rasheed - and the latter has forgotten more about elite tennis than Kyrgios has yet to master.

Off on a tangent here but my son recently had a session with Nathan Burke in which the latter spoke about a meeting with Tennis Australia's elite program.  Burke took them to task, pointing out that, with the exception of Ash Barty, Australia doesn't have any tennis players.

I'm not sure who is at fault - Tomic and Kyrgios have to accept some of the blame - but family, friends, coaches, mentors and Tennis Australia are complicit.

I can't help but imagine Kyrgios at my age and thinking, "Well, I stuffed that up!"

Reply #89

The problem is though, that the only reason he rates a mention is because he is good at his Tennis.

If he was just another hard worker for charity/good citizen he wouldn't have the profile he has

So how he behaves and what he says regarding Tennis is rightly or wrongly what he will mostly be judged on.

The other problem for these young guys is that we have group of players from past eras who set a standard of behaviour and professionalism that is probably a little difficult to live up to.

I suspect for most ethnicity doesn't enter into it.