Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9598 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #135
Setterfield, atm, is little more than a boat anchor.

Reply #136
Ok, so don't drop Dow and setters...

Who do you drop to bring in Williams and cover for injuries to Silvagni and parks?

Someone has to go....those 2 are most likely.

Makes me chuckle. When has Kennedy been given 2 or even 3 games to get form? Unlike Dow and Setters. They should have been dropped sooner. One is just not cutting it, repeatedly (Dow) and the other is a corralling seagull played in the wrong position (setters). I don’t care how great they looked pre season. This is the actual season and they need to perform when points are on offer, when the heat comes.

Kennedy is underrated. Good mark and accurate kicker, good attitude. Hope he kicks 2-3 to make the MC think twice about dropping performers, instead of playing favourites. Don’t perform? Off you go into our VFL team.
Keep the Faith

Reply #137
Understood, however I’m saying that we should persevere with him in the AFL. I think he’s close to a breakout game and is just getting stuck running to the wrong spots more often than not, which may be a result of not having much time on the ball over the past couple of years. Pretty sure that Dow will come good.

SPS is a good example of perseverance - he has been roundly criticised on this site for a lack of defensive ability/losing his forward (including by me) however he’s turned it around and is now playing a much stronger contested and assured brand of footy. Couldn’t be happier for him.

The difference between SPS/Dow and Setterfield is that the former two give their all and I can’t say the same at the moment for Setters, and a lack of effort should not be tolerated.

SPS needs to be tested vs teams better than Freo and GC. He can't be missing vs the top 6 teams and lighting it up vs the easy beats who don't apply the same pressure. That goes for any of our established players.. He should be at the same level as Saad who has that consistency that all the top small defenders have.

Reply #138
Absolutely stiff to be dropped!

Setterfield was one of our better players in the pre-season games and he did well against the Tigers.  With a bit of luck, he could have kicked 2 goals and the result may have been quite different.  He had a poor game against Collingwood, but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.  He then missed the game against Freo and prudent team selection would have had him coming back through the twos.  Of course, he was rushed straight back for the Gold Coast game and, although he played a reasonable game, someone has to make way for Williams. 

Dow is another one who played well in the pre-season games and did well against the Tigers and was unlucky not to add to his one goal.  His form in the next three games wasn't great but he has laid more tackles than most of his teammates.

Williams had to come into the side and one of Dow and Setterfield are the obvious ones to make way for him.  That doesn't mean that they're not stiff to miss out. 

I'm not convinced that Kennedy is an improvement over Dow or Setterfield.  He has done well in his cameo appearances as a lead up forward but disappoints as a midfielder.  He probably deserves a game but we can't afford a low possession game from him.

Im all about rewarding effort.

Kennedy has been through a bit of a tough ride with us.  He has hurt himself a few times, and come back, put his head down and been made to earn an opportunity and has done so with some very eyebrow raising performances that mean he can't be ignored.

He is not that limited, and he didn't earn the nickname bam bam for nothing and our team is going to need a bit of that tonight. 

Dow is trying but is not really in good form.  There is nothing wrong with getting back to build some form and confidence.   Matt has been having a red hot go in the vfl.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Setters and Dow got nowhere near the footy, and Levi is another who's fortunate to keep his spot.  We need to really expose Kennedy now that his body is right and reward his VFL form and find out who out of settefield, Kennedy, and Dow are more likely to become 100 game players for us.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #139
Liddle, Lloyd want results, they had Teague forced upon them by weight of results/media pressure but didnt really want him and have sacked SOS.
There is no turning back to hide behind the rebuild wall, players who get/have got 3-4 years on the list and who are not established are going to get chopped, there is no way the likes of Kennedy, Dow, LOB , Cuningham, Williamson etc are going to survive with our admin wanting instant success to justify their decisions if those players dont produce and help the club make finals.
If you are coming out of contract at years end and are not established then you are facing trading or the axe and that includes the coach, not even being a Top early pick like Dow will save you IMHO.
eg I'm a Matt Kennedy fan but the reality is he probably has till about mid year to be an established player or the football dept will turn to younger players and stamp his papers like LOB's have been stamped.

Reply #140
I could end up looking a bit silly after tonight's game.... but there was something about the way Kennedy carried himself last week that suggested to me he was feeling a lot more confident and ready to stake a big claim.
Be watching him closely tonight.

Reply #141
No matter how good or bad we go tonight. Worst player makes way for Stocker.
He has been banging on the door and he has finally had enough and Here's Johnny'd the door.
He plays next week.

Reply #142
No matter how good or bad we go tonight. Worst player makes way for Stocker.
He has been banging on the door and he has finally had enough and Here's Johnny'd the door.
He plays next week.

Yep
Must get a game next week.