Skip to main content
Topic: Road to Rio (Read 11641 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Road to Rio

Reply #15
Chalmers is a beast... was 7th on the turn and mowed them down in the last 15m. Not bad for an 18 year old.

Basketball was great also.

Reply #16
It was a terrific game, still just 4pts in it with 36 sec to go when Ingles missed a shot to bring it back to two. Had a feeling it'd be a tough game. How often would the USA have faced a side with 3 NBA championships rings in it albeit not quite the same depth. Aussies went hard at them physically, which changes things for a side that doesn't care much about defence. Aussies had the good old "Carlton" honourable loss...lol.

Pity Kyrie Irving, who had a brilliant last quarter, choose the USA given he as born in Australia and considers himself Australian, but, then again, who wouldn't. It was a tough decision for him though. Hearing him interviewed after his accent is half Australian and half American. If he was on our side I'd say we win.

Irving was great in the last quarter but we probably ran out of depth, reffing was fairly technical and we probably just over did the physical stuff a bit at the wrong time and got pinged although I found many of the fouls could have gone either way and probably should have been let go.....our second string bench players dont equate to what they have coming of the bench and we tired and couldnt keep up the pressure.
re: Irving....I thought we got great service from Delly and Mills for most of the game, where we struggled was the size mismatchups when they were on with the likes of Mills having to pick up Anthony, Durant etc.
USA fans would probably argue Lebron, Curry etc didnt play these games and with them playing we would have been smashed but I was proud of the way we played especially how we constructed our baskets compared to the USA whose game is based around one on one NBA style basketball unlike us who play more the Euro type game based on sound defense and running offensive plays.

Still a big medal chance though and I'd love us to play the USA in the finals ...just way to cocky are the Americans and they may get tested vs teams like Lithuania/Russia who have some bigger guards and deeper benches...cant help feeling though in the back of my mind that the USA always get the champions calls when it comes to 50/50 ref decisions....

Reply #17
Irving was great in the last quarter but we probably ran out of depth, reffing was fairly technical and we probably just over did the physical stuff a bit at the wrong time and got pinged although I found many of the fouls could have gone either way and probably should have been let go.....our second string bench players dont equate to what they have coming of the bench and we tired and couldnt keep up the pressure.
re: Irving....I thought we got great service from Delly and Mills for most of the game, where we struggled was the size mismatchups when they were on with the likes of Mills having to pick up Anthony, Durant etc.
USA fans would probably argue Lebron, Curry etc didnt play these games and with them playing we would have been smashed but I was proud of the way we played especially how we constructed our baskets compared to the USA whose game is based around one on one NBA style basketball unlike us who play more the Euro type game based on sound defense and running offensive plays.

Still a big medal chance though and I'd love us to play the USA in the finals ...just way to cocky are the Americans and they may get tested vs teams like Lithuania/Russia who have some bigger guards and deeper benches...cant help feeling though in the back of my mind that the USA always get the champions calls when it comes to 50/50 ref decisions....

If LeBron and Curry played they'd be totally unbeatable. Basically just hoping or a medal. Depth is what I said to someone else too. We have real class but not their depth. Yes, loved the way they set up.

They fouled purposely at the end. Clocks stops and the USA go to the free throw line. You gamble that they miss and you hope to score on the rebound. Made the margin bigger that what it really was.

Reply #18
If LeBron and Curry played they'd be totally unbeatable. Basically just hoping or a medal. Depth is what I said to someone else too. We have real class but not their depth. Yes, loved the way they set up.

They fouled purposely at the end. Clocks stops and the USA go to the free throw line. You gamble that they miss and you hope to score on the rebound. Made the margin bigger that what it really was.

In fairness look who has declined to play for Australia as well.

It's a problem for Australia because we are relatively small funding wise and have possibly been done out of medals because of players either jumping ship or pulling the pin on their Olympic campaign. There are almost as many Australian's in the opposition as there are in the Australian Olympic team. It's all about funding and politics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
In fairness look who has declined to play for Australia as well.

It's a problem for Australia because we are relatively small funding wise and have possibly been done out of medals because of players either jumping ship or pulling the pin on their Olympic campaign. There are almost as many Australian's in the opposition as there are in the Australian Olympic team. It's all about funding and politics.

The likes of Dante Exum and Ben Simmons would he handy.

Reply #23
MBB, pretty sure there is a doco on Peter Norman, made by his nephew... worth watching.

Reply #24
So Jarryd Hayne not getting into the Fiji Rugby 7's side has cost him an Olympic Gold medal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Something must be physically amiss with some of our swimmers. The Campbell sisters and Cam McEvoy with scintillating in relays then got worse. Cam and Bronte gradually got worse as the week has gone on and Cate couldn't go an inch today, 53.24 today, 51.97 on Sunday. On top of that Emily Seebohm couldn't go at all after going in in great form. If it happens to one then you say "so be it" but 4 of them then something is amiss. You don't lose form that sharply in 4-5 days, not 4 of them. There's a few gold medals right there although Kyle Chalmers did win the 100m anyway. Interesting McEvoy withdrew from the 200s and the 4 x 200 relay pretty late. Cost us a medal in the 4 x 200 and I'm sure under normal circumstances could've been very close in the 200m individual. Must be something not right.

Thought we were a living certainly in the women's medley relay but now they'll be lucky to place.

Reply #26
Something must be physically amiss with some of our swimmers. The Campbell sisters and Cam McEvoy with scintillating in relays then got worse. Cam and Bronte gradually got worse as the week has gone on and Cate couldn't go an inch today, 53.24 today, 51.97 on Sunday. On top of that Emily Seebohm couldn't go at all after going in in great form. If it happens to one then you say "so be it" but 4 of them then something is amiss. You don't lose form that sharply in 4-5 days, not 4 of them. There's a few gold medals right there although Kyle Chalmers did win the 100m anyway. Interesting McEvoy withdrew from the 200s and the 4 x 200 relay pretty late. Cost us a medal in the 4 x 200 and I'm sure under normal circumstances could've been very close in the 200m individual. Must be something not right.

Thought we were a living certainly in the women's medley relay but now they'll be lucky to place.
The swimmers are supposedly trained/prepared to the minute, those in charge of that f-ed up big time. The Yanks are talented sure but they have always appeared to have done this aspect better than us. Boils down to $$$, crap in = crap out.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
The swimmers are supposedly trained/prepared to the minute, those in charge of that f-ed up big time. The Yanks are talented sure but they have always appeared to have done this aspect better than us. Boils down to $$$, crap in = crap out.

No they didn't, they were brilliant no more than 4-5 days ago. 4 swimmers suddenly couldn't go and got slower as the week went on. We have been outstanding at peaking swimmers for years, whether it's been Olympics, World Champs or Commonwealth Games. Our swim coaches are the best anywhere. As an elite coach and qualified Exercise Physiologist 4 swimmers won't drop like that so quickly in a few days. If it was one then, well, crap happens, when it's 4, something's amiss. You don't drop from 47.00, 52.15, and 51.97, on the changeover fly admittedly, to over 48 and in the 53's. Too much of a drop to be normal for so many in just a few days. Don't think that's hard to work out. Be interested when it comes out eventually, if it does.

Reply #28
McEvoy's apparently crook...has a bug.
Wouldn't be surprised if a few others aren't also a bit off colour.
But it has been a bit underwhelming in terms of expected performance vs actual performance.

On a larger issue though...Do we give our swimmers the best opportunities by having our selection trials so far away (in terms of time) from the actual Games?

The Americans seem to have little trouble reaching that double peak in a short space of time.
Our Track and Field folk also have the selection trials well away from the games but they've been able to sharpen up with races in the northern summer and some have been able to reach late qualifiers to make the team.

(The official line is that he's not ill..he and Campbell didn't handle the pressure...... these are experienced international athletes I find that really hard to believe.)

McEvoy was also asked the question about sickness and did not deny it.

“Me and Rich (his coach Richard Scarce), we’re going to sit down and pinpoint any areas that had some effect,’’ he said.

“But I don’t want to stand here being the guy rolling off excuses, it was this, it was that, not only because that’s not the type of person I am but I don’t want to take anything away from what Kyle has achieved. I think this is his moment and he should soak it up and he deserves all the recognition he can get.’’

Reply #29
McEvoy's apparently crook...has a bug.
Wouldn't be surprised if a few others aren't also a bit off colour.
But it has been a bit underwhelming in terms of expected performance vs actual performance.

On a larger issue though...Do we give our swimmers the best opportunities by having our selection trials so far away (in terms of time) from the actual Games?

The Americans seem to have little trouble reaching that double peak in a short space of time.
Our Track and Field folk also have the selection trials well away from the games but they've been able to sharpen up with races in the northern summer and some have been able to reach late qualifiers to make the team.

(The official line is that he's not ill..he and Campbell didn't handle the pressure...... these are experienced international athletes I find that really hard to believe.)

It's worked for us for years with trial in Feb. Actually be harder for the Americans having their trials then holding that for 6 weeks. We get the chance to reload. Our results for our population show that. Peaking 6 months apart from Trials to championships isn't too hard.

Be a bug for sure. If they had lost, missed a medal being a little down on time, then the occasion got the better of them. But when 3 swimmers are down over a second over 100m in just a few days then something's amiss. McEvoy went 47.00, Bronte 52.15 and Cate 51.97, admittedly on a changeover fly. In their finals 48.12, and 53's. That's huge and unusual, even if you choked. Generally we are good at peaking our swimmers as the world champs have shown.

I picked Chalmers to win as he was getting stronger every race, McEvoy was looking flatter each race as if each one was taking alot out of him. I'm thinking now there was a good reason why he didn't do the 200m or the 4 x 200 as he wouldn't normally have done well in both of them. Today couldn't even qualify for the 50m final. No chance he would've withdrawn normally as he was a huge chance. I said to my mother today that I was worried about Bronte as similarly she seemed to struggle more and not finish strongly though the heats and semi. Was dying, which is unusual. Seebohm, who's usually as tough as anything and always peak well, can't move an inch and first ever today missed a final. If she hasn't got a bug then i'll be surprised.