Skip to main content
Topic: Road to Rio (Read 11642 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Road to Rio

Reply #30
It's worked for us for years with trial in Feb. Actually be harder for the Americans having their trials then holding that for 6 weeks. We get the chance to reload. Our results for our population show that. Peaking 6 months apart from Trials to championships isn't too hard.

That would be my thinking too...but maybe there's been a shift in swimming and we need to have a look at whether what's worked in the past is still the best way to approach things.
We'd have to discount the illness factor to start with (which I suspect is there) and then compare the trial times to the Olympic times.
I'd be curious to see how many have swum faster at any stage during the Games.

Reply #31
You make a good point Jim,makes you think something must be up and i'm sure it will come out. No shame if that is what has happened.

The head coach did go out of his way to say that McEvoy was not sick... Cate Campbell qualified fastest for the final... Taylor McKeown qualified fastest for the final.

They do carry a lot of expectations... we just expect that we are going to win gold in the pool.

Reply #32
I can't believe no one has floated stillnox yet...

;D
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Dane Bird-Smith, great!!! I couldn't believe he was paying $34 for a win so I jumped on each way. Being my sport I know these guys very well, he was always going to come top 5 at least.

Seems the reason Cate Campbell struggled is she moved early on the blocks, pulled herself back and missed the start very badly. After that she panicked, went too fast. and blew up. Technically she could well have been dq'ed as you're not supposed to move at all on the blocks. Certainly something not right with McEvoy and Bronte, who were simply brilliant only 4 days previously, and Em Seebohm.

Reply #34
Just watched the Matilda's go down.  Bugger.  We are definitely not having much luck these Olympics.  But I did have to go to Wikipeadia to check the rules for penalty shoot outs and found this:

The keeper is forbidden from moving off the goal line to narrow the shooter's angle.

Be interested to hear from anyone who knows the game intimately (ex-players?) and whether they think the Brazilian crossed the line (no pun intended).
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #35
Dane Bird-Smith, great!!! I couldn't believe he was paying $34 for a win so I jumped on each way. Being my sport I know these guys very well, he was always going to come top 5 at least.

Seems the reason Cate Campbell struggled is she moved early on the blocks, pulled herself back and missed the start very badly. After that she panicked, went too fast. and blew up. Technically she could well have been dq'ed as you're not supposed to move at all on the blocks. Certainly something not right with McEvoy and Bronte, who were simply brilliant only 4 days previously, and Em Seebohm.

Something wrong more so than individual stuff ups - too many crazy misses from seasoned performers...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
Something wrong more so than individual stuff ups - too many crazy misses from seasoned performers...

I think so. Our swim coaches are among the best going anywhere and generally have our swimmers in the best of shape when it matters.

Reply #37
Just watched the Matilda's go down.  Bugger.  We are definitely not having much luck these Olympics.  But I did have to go to Wikipeadia to check the rules for penalty shoot outs and found this:

The keeper is forbidden from moving off the goal line to narrow the shooter's angle.

Be interested to hear from anyone who knows the game intimately (ex-players?) and whether they think the Brazilian crossed the line (no pun intended).

Sometimes they declare a retake but you'll find that keepers leave the line early a lot of the time and get away with it.

It's one of those rules not harshly enforced because the penalty is more of a lottery than anything else for keepers whilst it's stacked heavily against them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Aus well beat by Serbia in the mens basketball.....the latter play traditional Euro basketball where defense is the focus and they just choked us for opportunities and we threw up some real NBA rubbish shot wise. Bogurt and Baynes had their hands full with the athletic Serb talls and I think Bogey lost a bit of interest when he realised it was going to be a tough night. They gave us no open looks and our star small guards couldnt buy a basket, probably having the two small guards came back to bite us defensively. Onto Spain for the Bronze..the Spanish have their fair share of NBA talent but dont play as intense on defense as the Serbs and rely on blowing teams away with offense. I'd expect us to go back to a more conservative style and grind out the win vs the Spanish who are very talented but temperamental and we should claim our first basketball medal....

Reply #39
I thought the Serbs might have had a let down after getting over the Croatians... Our boys really stunk it up.

Got to bounce back now.

Reply #40
Great performance by Chloe Esposito in the modern Pentathlon.....a real straight shooter ;)

How bad has Kitty Chiller's  Games been :-[  :(

Reply #41
Great performance by Chloe Esposito in the modern Pentathlon.....a real straight shooter ;)

How bad has Kitty Chiller's  Games been :-[  :(

Striking a balance between trying to catch your opponents and being able to shoot accurately and quickly must be a huge challenge.  Chloe's shooting at the last station was incredible given the state of the competition.  She must have nerves of steel.

I haven't watched a great deal of the games but there has been some great moments and some bizarre moments too.

I suspect that this will be the last Olympics to be held in a "developing country".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
Striking a balance between trying to catch your opponents and being able to shoot accurately and quickly must be a huge challenge.  Chloe's shooting at the last station was incredible given the state of the competition.  She must have nerves of steel.

I haven't watched a great deal of the games but there has been some great moments and some bizarre moments too.

I suspect that this will be the last Olympics to be held in a "developing country".

Her shooting was good all the way through the run/shoot section.
Apparently she was a junior representative at Commonwealth Youths in pistol shooting.