Skip to main content
Topic: Big Name Sporting Events Around The World - Been To Any ?? (Read 4488 times) previous topic - next topic

Big Name Sporting Events Around The World - Been To Any ??

My son is currently in New York and gleefully told me he had just been to the Men's final of the US Tennis Open.

This made me start to think about big name sporting events that I have been too.

Apart from a baseball match in San Francisco, I can't think of anything of note.

Where have you been & what have you seen ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Big Name Sporting Events Around The World - Been To Any ??

Reply #1
Ive been to Portugal to watch 8 matches of the European cup that was held there in 2004 including the Final, Semi Final, Quarter Final, and another 5 group stage matches.

Ive also been to watch a Uefa cup qualifier in Portugal just a few weeks ago (my team from Greece was coincidentally there when we were visiting my wifes family).

Good times.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Ive been to Portugal to watch 8 matches of the European cup that was held there in 2004 including the Final, Semi Final, Quarter Final, and another 5 group stage matches.

Ive also been to watch a Uefa cup qualifier in Portugal just a few weeks ago (my team from Greece was coincidentally there when we were visiting my wifes family).

Good times.
Mrs G2C and I attended the final stage of the 2014 TDF on the Champs Elysees. Amazing event with organisation/logistics like I have never seen before in my life. Would highly recommend it to people. Next time I want to go to an iconic mountain stage.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Been to a couple of NFL matches.
Been to a couple of NBA matches.
Been to plenty of F1 races in Melbourne and the inaugural one in Austin, Texas in 2012.

Personally, i don't care for the other sports already mentioned in this thread.

Reply #4
Major League Baseball...Toronto Blue Jays v Baltimore Oracles
Christchurch Commonwealth Games in 1974
Olympics Games Sydney- Cathy Freeman night
World Swimming Championships when in Melbourne

Reply #5
Sydney 2000 Olympics - basketball, tennis, athletics (including as per Jimbo seeing Cathy Freeman win).

Reply #6
I saw some Gaelic Football at Croke Park in Dublin, one of the finals between Leinster and Dublin.
Other than that I've only seen Australian sporting triumphs in the cricket and GFs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
I saw Carlton beat Hawthorn.

Reply #9
I was given a free ticket to the 2003 Davis Cup tie between Australia and Switzerland.  I watched Hewitt beat Kratovchil and Federer beat Philippousis.

I'm not a big tennis fan but it was a good night with great atmosphere.

Back in my powerlifting days, I went to the 1986 weightlifting world championships and saw the best ever weightlifter Naim Süleymanoğlu do his stuff.  He has simply amazing and it was one of the best sporting efforts I have seen.  He defected from Bulgaria to Turkey after the event.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Lol!

I'll go one better. I saw Carlton beat Hawthorn in a Grand Final...lol.

I actually said that exact same thing to my 6.5yo son just last week as we watched Hawks vs Geelong!! I then had to explain to him that it happened 29 years ago, which made me feel both very old, and very depressed!

But what a wonderful memory anyway - it was my first time to the MCG and to watch the reserves win, and then see us smash Hawthorn on a beautiful sunny day was a dream come true.

Have been to plenty of stuff over the years, but hard to go past the World Cup soccer qualifier in Sydney when we won the penalty shoot out against Uruguay - the noise and atmosphere in the stadium that night was incredible. And I don't even follow the soccer!!

Reply #12
I should add, I watched Carlton beat Richmond in an elimination/qualifying final, and I also went up to Sydney where we never really fired a shot.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
I actually said that exact same thing to my 6.5yo son just last week as we watched Hawks vs Geelong!! I then had to explain to him that it happened 29 years ago,

Wow! Never think about how long our second last flag was.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!