Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Max 'Tangles' Walker (Read 5160 times) previous topic - next topic

RIP Max 'Tangles' Walker

FoxSports reports his death at age 68.  What a character he was!

He even had a Carlton link.  He did a TV ad for Aerogard and a little boy in cricket whites and a mess of red hair said something like 'av a good day, Mr Walker'.  Years later, that boy ended up playing for us - Jim Plunkett.

Re: RIP Max 'Tangles' Walker

Reply #1
That's a shock!  Far too young, particularly for someone who always seemed larger than life.

Cricketer, footballer, architect, commentator, author, raconteur and good bloke.

RIP
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Yep, unbelievable, just heard.  Lovely bloke, was fortunate enough to talk to him a couple of times at social events organised by the North Hobart Cricket Club, his first club here in Tas.

One of the cricket heros from my childhood days, although I always tried to model my action more of Lillee than "tangles".  Nevertheless a huge hearted & very underrated bowler in that powerful 70s team.

RIP Big Max.

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #3
[flash=200,200]https://youtu.be/VThi7SFGNlI[/flash]

Reply #4
Ha ha!

Apparently, that story about it being Jimmy Plunkett was a stitch-up, presumably by his fellow Blues.  Jon Ralph points out he wasn't even born when the ad was filmed.  Somehow, I reckon Max Walker would have loved that joke.

Reply #5
That's a shock!  Far too young, particularly for someone who always seemed larger than life.

Cricketer, footballer, architect, commentator, author, raconteur and good bloke.

RIP

Perfect summation.

RIP big fella, you brought enormous joy to many people.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
Melanoma apparently.

Have a check up at a skin cancer clinic if you don't already do so annually.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
RIP
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Ha ha!

Apparently, that story about it being Jimmy Plunkett was a stitch-up, presumably by his fellow Blues.  Jon Ralph points out he wasn't even born when the ad was filmed.  Somehow, I reckon Max Walker would have loved that joke.

Jimmy Plunkett was the kid in the second version of the ad that was made in the 1980s.  Never trust a journalist to get the facts right  ::)

Reply #9
Tragic.
Loved his yarns.
...and his bowling action
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #10

RIP

I know he studied Architecture, but did he ever work as an architect ? Any buildings of note ?

RIP.

Reply #11
"Have a good weekend Mr Walker"
RIP Big Fella.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
I know he studied Architecture, but did he ever work as an architect ? Any buildings of note ?

RIP.

I used to see him walking to work at the Treasury Place State Govt complex after his test career ended and before his media career took off - he probably worked in the Public Works Dept.  I think he spent about a decade working as an architect.

It would be nice to think that he left a building of note as part of his legacy. 

Reply #13
I used to see him walking to work at the Treasury Place State Govt complex after his test career ended and before his media career took off - he probably worked in the Public Works Dept.  I think he spent about a decade working as an architect.

It would be nice to think that he left a building of note as part of his legacy.

Thanks DJC.