Skip to main content
Topic: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper? (Read 14645 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper?

Reply #15
I haven't watched the whole fight but I have seen the first round several times.  The referee clearly made a blunder in not telling the fighters to break before grabbing Green.  Green understandably dropped his guard but remained fair game for Mundine and it was a legal blow.

The rules don't really cover a referee's error but, at a stretch, Mundine's blow could have been considered an unintentional foul and the fight declared a no contest; a popular outcome for all concerned  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I haven't watched the whole fight but I have seen the first round several times.  The referee clearly made a blunder in not telling the fighters to break before grabbing Green.  Green understandably dropped his guard but remained fair game for Mundine and it was a legal blow.

The rules don't really cover a referee's error but, at a stretch, Mundine's blow could have been considered an unintentional foul and the fight declared a no contest; a popular outcome for all concerned  ;)

Mundine has been in enough boxing matches to know that he shouldn't have thrown that punch. You could argue technicalities and you might give him the benefit of the doubt if you're feeling very generous and its xmas day.

However, the fact Mundine was warned, repeatedly, for hitting Green in the back of the head (and seemingly not giving 2 hoots) and then highlighting that Green brushed him behind the ear moments later (far from what he was admonished for) shows the mindset of Mundine. That is, fight dirty and try and get inside Greens head.

I think the judges saw it the same way. Mundines dirty tactics were not appreciated by Green, the fans and the judges.

So back to the actual fight. From what i saw, Green was in charge early. Mundine was playing the patient game, figuring he'd have the fitness to come over the top later. Although he was indeed in better condition at the end, i don't think he really dominated like he should have.

To me the whole thing looked like 10 rounds of rope a dope, except the counterattack never actually came.

IMO Green was doing the majority of the attacking and Mundine was constantly looking for the counterpunch, but never pulled the trigger.

I've got no problem giving the fight to Green because he was the aggressor in a somewhat tame fight.

Reply #17
Mundine has been in enough boxing matches to know that he shouldn't have thrown that punch. You could argue technicalities and you might give him the benefit of the doubt if you're feeling very generous and its xmas day.

Yes, Mundine probably shouldn't have thrown that punch but it's a split second decision and he did nothing wrong according to the rules of boxing.

If the referee had called "break", both fighters would have had to have taken a step back before throwing another punch.  The referee didn't call "break" so they can keep punching.  Of course, Green stopped because the referee grabbed him but that's the referee's fault, not Mundine's.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
According to Danny Green the ref wanted to disqualify Mundine after that cheap shot punch but Green said No because there would be bodies in the street with a lot of unhappy fans...seems like that punch was more serious than most of us thought. Green said he should have got a 5 minute breather as well....

Reply #19
According to Danny Green the ref wanted to disqualify Mundine after that cheap shot punch but Green said No because there would be bodies in the street with a lot of unhappy fans...seems like that punch was more serious than most of us thought. Green said he should have got a 5 minute breather as well....

Yes, the victim is supposed to get a 5 minute break after an "unintentional foul".

I reckon Green would have failed the concussion test.

Reply #20
The controversy continues:

One of the doctors involved in the highly anticipated rematch between boxers Anthony Mundine and Danny Green has slammed the decision to continue the fight after Green was concussed in the first round.

Ringside doctor Lou Lewis said he quit his role mid-fight last Friday night because his opinion was ignored.

In a fight within a fight, the two doctors present disagreed about whether Green was fit to continue after being caught off guard by a Mundine blow.

Despite four decades of ringside experience, Dr Lewis was overruled by Dr John O'Neill and the referee.

"I was saying ... the fight should be stopped, I don't want it to go on ... [but] I didn't want to have a fight in the ring with another doctor," Dr Lewis said.

"I said to the referee: 'Are you stopping the fight?' The referee said 'No' ... [and] I said: 'I'm having nothing more to do with this fight'."

Another blow 'could have been fatal'

Other medical experts also have expressed a view the injured boxer was in danger.

"Another serious blow when he's already concussed, it is no exaggeration to say, could have been fatal," Dr Michael Gannon of the Australian Medical Association said.

Green admitted he was concussed after one round but said he had wanted to fight on.

"I'm just going 'let's fight, let's fight, I'm good to go' because that's what you do if you're a warrior," he told the media this week.

"You just do that. You wanna fight, you don't know what the rules are — mate I didn't know if I was Arthur or Martha."

Dr Peter Lewis of the Australasian Ringside Medicine Association also backed the view that the fight should have ended early.

"I'll give you a straight answer, I think I would have called the fight off," he said.

"When you've suffered a blow like that you're concussed so you're not really able to make rational decisions in your own self interest."

Green fought on for nine more rounds and won the bout and a multi-million-dollar prize for his efforts.

Reply #21
Dr Lewis should find another sport to work in.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
It seems the issue isn't so black and white, ............

although I bet Mundine would like it to be! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
It seems the issue isn't so black and white, ............

although I bet Mundine would like it to be! ;)
I just find the bloke hard to stomach, I cringe every single time he opens his mouth. I mean his old man went to Green's corner after the fight and said "your boy won the fight". Thank fork he is retired and I never have to hear him again. Talk about athletes who dont know how to conduct themselves, this guy is the most ungracious sports person I have ever heard. Enjoy retirement Flog!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
I just find the bloke hard to stomach, I cringe every single time he opens his mouth. I mean his old man went to Green's corner after the fight and said "your boy won the fight". Thank fork he is retired and I never have to hear him again. Talk about athletes who dont know how to conduct themselves, this guy is the most ungracious sports person I have ever heard. Enjoy retirement Flog!

I was a big boxing fan back in the day - I took Mrs DJC to TV Ringside for our first date - and I had the privilege of meeting Tony Mundine many years ago.  He was a very gentle, humble man and it makes me wonder about the nature vs nurture debate; neither seems to apply in Anthony's case.

I met Linda Stoner the same night that I met Tony  :)

Reply #25
I met Linda Stoner the same night that I met Tony  :)

Was a bizarre situation back then, Stoner eventually come out as an anti-boxing advocate. Use to see the likes of Judy Green, Judy James and Delvene Delaney at those events as well. Boxing was a place to be seen back then.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Was a bizarre situation back then, Stoner eventually come out as an anti-boxing advocate. Use to see the likes of Judy Green, Judy James and Delvene Delaney at those events as well. Boxing was a place to be seen back then.

Progress.

Reply #28
I understand that there is a real push to make sports safe etc, however these guys are fighters and sure let's make thumping each other as safe as possible but on some level this is unavoidable.

The reaction to head trauma in sports lives in the realm of hysteria IMHO.

Everyone is well aware of the risks involved else they'd be knitting instead.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
I am staring at images of human brains. Damaged human brains. One, in particular, fascinates me. It looks similar to a textbook MRI scan of a concussed brain, yet the injuries it shows were not caused by the sort of collision – eight-ounce glove on exposed jaw, rutting head on rutting head – that leaves a crowd gasping and a player unsure whether their next step will be a lurch forwards or a stumble sideways. No. This brain was damaged by simply heading a football. A lightweight, modern football.

A major problem is that with sub-concussive injuries people don’t realise they have damaged their brains. And so they keep going. “You can bruise any other part of your body and it feels sore,” says Nauman. “But when the same thing happens to your brain it doesn’t have the pain receptors to tell you to ease off for a few days. That is enough to really cause problems.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/01/football-heading-brain-damage

One of the interesting findings in this study is that the impact of the lightweight soccer balls was "... much higher than expected. Some registered at between 50g and 100g – similar to American Football players crashing into each other or punches thrown by boxers."