Skip to main content
Topic: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper? (Read 14643 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper?

Reply #46
Boxing has a very flawed scoring system in that one fighter can dominate and win 5 rounds by a wide margin and lose 7 rounds by a razor close margin and correctly lose the fight.

Flawed system? Perhaps. But the system has been in place forever and a day and fighters, smart fighters, take advantage of that system.

If you're in front early - hold on.
If you're behind early - take more chances to try and claw back the margin

To me, it was classic playing for points and Mundine didn't do enough to win back those points that Green won early on. The reason i bring up being aggressive is for this fact. I know Mundine had a lot of the fight on his terms....but again, Green was allowing that to happen as long as he didn't get knocked out. He was playing for points. Which he did successfully.

Reply #47
We have just had another baby who also has been in the children's hospital.

That's for more important than the results of a boxing match MBB!

Congratulations and best wishes for a speedy resolution of the hospital issues.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
Green throws a lot of leather, it can look impressive even when none of it hits its target or is blocked...Mundine is a counter puncher, he doesnt have a lot behind his punches either and even when he counters and connects its more about getting the points than trying to be overly damaging.
I dislike Mundine and his attitude and am a Green supporter but I  thought Mundine threw less punches but more of his hit their mark all be it without much fanfare but if they connect you have to score it and I felt the ref's didnt give him enough points for the times he caught Green clearly.
I would have my money on Mundine in a rematch....points decision..

Reply #49
Green throws a lot of leather, it can look impressive even when none of it hits its target or is blocked...Mundine is a counter puncher, he doesnt have a lot behind his punches either and even when he counters and connects its more about getting the points than trying to be overly damaging.
I dislike Mundine and his attitude and am a Green supporter but I  thought Mundine threw less punches but more of his hit their mark all be it without much fanfare but if they connect you have to score it and I felt the ref's didnt give him enough points for the times he caught Green clearly.
I would have my money on Mundine in a rematch....points decision..

Did you see the punch stats from the fight?

Green certainly did throw more than Mundine....but Green landed more too. Even landed more 'power punches'.

Reply #50
Did you see the punch stats from the fight?

Green certainly did throw more than Mundine....but Green landed more too. Even landed more 'power punches'.

The Compubox stats definitely support the Green victory.

I wonder if the wiser heads in the Mundine camp will prevail and pull his ill-conceived protest.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
Mundine wasted time thinking his coward punch would do all the work and cause Green's demise late in the match. He wanted a lazy coward win, akin to a king hit on a hopeless staggering drunk. When it didn't pan out, when Green didn't deliver Mundine his cheating victory, Mundine cried like a bitch!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Compubox defines a power punch as anything that isn't a jab. It really is misleading, Mundine clearly landed the cleaner and harder shots.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
Compubox defines a power punch as anything that isn't a jab. It really is misleading, Mundine clearly landed the cleaner and harder shots.

The cleanist and hardest shots landed by mundine were the ones that hit Green on the back of the head and the R1 knockout blow....and perhaps a couple of low blows as well.

Hardly going to win you rounds.

Reply #54
Nothing was going to win Mundine rounds on one judges scorecard. He scored rd 7 10-10 despite Green losing a point.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
Nothing was going to win Mundine rounds on one judges scorecard. He scored rd 7 10-10 despite Green losing a point.

Must've been a fan of Spinal Tap. ;)