Skip to main content
Topic: Nitro Athletics (Read 3596 times) previous topic - next topic

Nitro Athletics

Anyone attend either of the two Nitro's so far ?  Looks really good on the TV.  I love the concept & while they're obviously ironing out some early issues it comes across as quite entertaining, and without all the usual waiting around that is part of a regular Athletics meet.

Mind you, as an ex-distance runner....I would not like the middle distance events on offer ....they are brutal !
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Re: Nitro Athletics

Reply #1
I'm a bit of an old traditionalist when it comes to track and field.
I've been involved in the sport for nearly 50 years as an athlete and coach.
I prefer my athletics pure.
But I understand what they're trying to achieve

Australian athletes who are operating at about 80% capacity beating overseas athletes operating at about 50% doesn't really excite me that much.
The commentating and attempts to beat it up into something resembling the Professional Wrestling is a bit off-putting too.
Ridiculous comments as you're coming in for an attempt in the pole vault would be particularly distracting.
One thing that was a concern was the length of time it took to straighten out the result of the relay debacle last night and that's been a major talking point on Athletic websites this morning where there seems to be a bit of a mixed reaction to the whole concept.

Having said that the format, and also the commentating, was much tighter than the first meet last night and the whole thing seemed to run more smoothly.

It's probably a little early to condemn it out of hand. They just need to find a balance..tweak some events and they may have a worthwhile product. I quite like a few events like the 3minute run and the elimination mile races. I'm not sure they've got the field events right as some of the rules tend to work against great heights (Pole vault particularly) and distances.

I just wonder though, when the drawcard of Usain Bolt is no longer there whether it will generate the same interest.

Reply #2
Mrs G2C and I went along last night, my daughter has been volunteering there also. We are not avid or fanatical athletics people however as sports lovers, we went along to see the G.O.A.T live. Was worth every cent. He is a Rockstar like I have never witnessed. I could watch the bloke run all day, a thoroughbread racehorse. It was a fun night with a good atmosphere. Kids were well catered for with the athletes interacting with them on the fence at every opportunity. I would go again.
PS Its the first time I have ever been to an athletics meet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Here's a different take to mine....

With Nitro coming to a close tomorrow night, I thought I would share a little something. I have been working at a Bakers Delight shop in Sydney for over 10 years and the only talk I hear of athletics is when people are asking me about my own career or when the Olympics have been on. Today is an exception to that. Today I have heard many people at the counter, at the cafe where I have my lunch break, and people walking past talking about Nitro Athletics. People that don't have a clue about the sport, but this has sparked their interest. Whilst some may like to criticise and point out all the faults of Nitro, surely the fact that athletics is once again a talking point among people and on the forefront of sport talk around the world is a great thing! Almost all of the talk about it that I have heard has been positive. No matter how tomorrow night goes, it's been awesome to hear people outside of athletics get excited about the sport again

maybe those closely associated with the support aren't quite appreciating the impact it's having with the general public.

Reply #4
Massive athletics fan myself. I get that many don't go for it so a format that changes things up a bit is not a bad idea. We went Thursday night and had a great time. Bolt and the rest of the athletes gave the crowd plenty of time. Bolt spent a heap of time with the crowd at the end.

Reply #5
I'm a bit of an old traditionalist when it comes to track and field.
I've been involved in the sport for nearly 50 years as an athlete and coach.
I prefer my athletics pure.
But I understand what they're trying to achieve

Australian athletes who are operating at about 80% capacity beating overseas athletes operating at about 50% doesn't really excite me that much.
The commentating and attempts to beat it up into something resembling the Professional Wrestling is a bit off-putting too.
Ridiculous comments as you're coming in for an attempt in the pole vault would be particularly distracting.
One thing that was a concern was the length of time it took to straighten out the result of the relay debacle last night and that's been a major talking point on Athletic websites this morning where there seems to be a bit of a mixed reaction to the whole concept.

Having said that the format, and also the commentating, was much tighter than the first meet last night and the whole thing seemed to run more smoothly.

It's probably a little early to condemn it out of hand. They just need to find a balance..tweak some events and they may have a worthwhile product. I quite like a few events like the 3minute run and the elimination mile races. I'm not sure they've got the field events right as some of the rules tend to work against great heights (Pole vault particularly) and distances.

I just wonder though, when the drawcard of Usain Bolt is no longer there whether it will generate the same interest.

Unfortunately our sport suffers from a lack of marketing and getting it out there to the public. Let's face it, athletics must be the worst marketed sport going here. Like 20/20 cricket we needed something to attract attention and this fun concept has worked well. Whether it's the concept or Usain time will tell but it's a good start.

Reply #6
Unfortunately our sport suffers from a lack of marketing and getting it out there to the public. Let's face it, athletics must be the worst marketed sport going here. Like 20/20 cricket we needed something to attract attention and this fun concept has worked well. Whether it's the concept or Usain time will tell but it's a good start.

It actually grew on me a bit as they tightened up a few areas over the three nights. There are a few events that still need tweaking... Pole vault (a particular interest of mine) is a bit of a non-event.

Yep, whether it translates into greater participation, or will be viewed as just a novelty, will be the test of its worth.

Reply #7
Thanks for the thoughts all, yeah, I love the purity (drug excepted) of athletics & in particular the middle to long distance running, but I watched it all on TV here, and I found myself watching in excitement & even nervousness !  Yes I know a lot of the Aussies are in season form, & some of the internationals not so much, but there were some great things to watch.  16 year old Riley Day...wow !.......and Ryan Gregson finally injury free & in career best form...be one to look out for at the next world champs.

I enjoyed it, and I would be very keen to use it as a basis for a trip over the water to see it next year.

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.