Skip to main content
Topic: Rafa Nadal (Read 19583 times) previous topic - next topic

Rafa Nadal

Well, not a bad long weekend. Extra day with the family, Carlton win, and Rafa wins his 10th French Open.

Onya Rafa.

Re: Rafa Nadal

Reply #1
Well, not a bad long weekend. Extra day with the family, Carlton win, and Rafa wins his 10th French Open.

Onya Rafa.
And Dovi won his 2nd Moto GP race in a row on Duke. Pity Vettel didnt win the Canadian F1 and Porte the Criterium du Dauphine, my weekend would have perfectamundo!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
RAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !

Sweet 16 baby !!

Reply #5
https://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2017/09/draws-tennis

What a crock of arbitrary tweaking.

Federer's greatest mistake was not swapping to a larger racquet much earlier in his career.

He played with a 90 sqi bat up to 2014.

Nadal's Babolat Pure Aero is 100 sqi. He's used it since forever. And why not.

Gives a massive difference in power....

I'd suggest if Federer's reticence to change bats earlier cost him multiple slams....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
Actually the smaller head size gives more accuracy if you're good enough to play with it. As Federer's game slipped he had to play with a more forgiving raquet.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
Actually the smaller head size gives more accuracy if you're good enough to play with it. As Federer's game slipped he had to play with a more forgiving raquet.

Of course it does, as does tighter stringing. And?

That wasn't my point.

The sheer difference between a 90 and 100 sqi bat is staggering....

Slipped? Hah.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #8
The waters are also muddied by the fact that the majority of tournaments are played on faster surfaces, which clearly favour Roger. That's not his fault of course, but worth bearing in mind.

Reply #9
The waters are also muddied by the fact that the majority of tournaments are played on faster surfaces, which clearly favour Roger. That's not his fault of course, but worth bearing in mind.

Um, all surfaces are faster than clay!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
I hate Federer.  Seems like a twat, but even Im not going to dispute how good he has been.

There is no point.

Im hoping that one of either Djokovic or Nadal (preferably both) go past him, and to summarise they probably need him to retire to achieve it, which is a testament to how good he has been over the journey.

All that being said, Tennis is a sport that seems to be forgiving (enough) for older players, as quite a few seem to find a way to play into their late thirties, and always have done really.

The fact that he continues being good into his late 30's is something else entirely.

Just for effect, Ill sign off calling Federer a twat.  Never liked him, and if the rumours are true, he has an air of Tiger Woods about him! ;)
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Reminds me of the debate in golf regarding blade clubs versus cavity backs.

Too much technology goes into all sports now, you are often measuring the player with the deepest pockets rather than the player with the greatest ability. It's the very same debate that has roared in F1 for decades.

Personally, I think such variations should be banned forcing everybody to use the same gear. Sport should be about measuring the abilities of the competitor, not the capability of their supporting staff and scientists.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Of course it does, as does tighter stringing. And?

That wasn't my point.

The sheer difference between a 90 and 100 sqi bat is staggering....

Slipped? Hah.

Do you think he used a smaller frame to handicap himself? Sampras used an 85 pro staff, as did madbluboy in his younger days. Nothing beats when you hit the sweet spot off of those raquets but they are unforgiving.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #14
Do you think he used a smaller frame to handicap himself? Sampras used an 85 pro staff, as did madbluboy in his younger days. Nothing beats when you hit the sweet spot off of those raquets but they are unforgiving.

MBB, I assume tennis is like golf, the better the player that greater the incentive to use equipment with a smaller sweet spot!

I have an associate who used to practice his long iron golf swing on a concrete floor with 5c piece. The idea was to have the club come down on top of the 5c piece swing after swing after swing. If you get it right the 5c piece just hops up and down on the spot barely moving. Obviously you have to use an old club as the sole of the club is destroyed by continually landing on top of metal. But the 5c piece was roughly the size of a blade club sweet spot, get it right and when you get on course you wouldn't even feel the club making contact with the ball.
The Force Awakens!