Skip to main content
Topic: Tim Cahill - What Can You Say! (Read 7203 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tim Cahill - What Can You Say!

Reply #15
Ange is a dead man walking. It is hugely disappointing for Australia, because after the way he had the Roar playing a few seasons back, many considered in Australia that we finally had a world class coach and that when he did eventually take control of the national team, it would herald our next glory years.

Unfortunately he has been a failure as the national coach despite the Asian Cup. He is steadfast in his own belief, which all the great managers are, but he isn't backing it up with the Australian team.

Now to also be fair, this is an Australia team that could best be compared to the early 90s teams. There are a handful of decent players in there, but this isn't a team of quality.

In our qualifying game against Uruguay in 2005.
We had
Bresciano, Cahill & Aloisi on the bench  :o

NEWS:

Stepping down in November irrespective of outcome will not coach at the World Cup next year.

As for coaches, there is one saying that is true.

Either you leave a hero, or stick around long enough to become a villain.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
Just a few points
The A-League was considered that it wouldn't be far off Championship level when it was formed.
Now, at very best is would be equivalent to League One (Division 3) in England.

I just done a quick check on FIFA 18 as well and Mooy is the only outfield player for Australia that is ranked as a 'gold card'
Now that doesn't mean much to those that don't play, but it just means that based on their statistical rating of players, (where 99 is the highest number), he s the only outfield player ranked above 75. (Also 2 Keepers are ranked the same as him.. 77).

Now just to put in perspective. There are almost 1750 players in the world ranked at 75 or above and about 900 of them are ranked higher than Mooy's 77.

Now this doesn't 'prove' anything, except that EA would put more time, money and resources into their analytics than probably any other organisation in the world, so it would be considered currently the most accurate 'rating' system for players out there, though it is of course not a guaranteed 'ranking'.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #18
Sam Kerr!

lol I LOVE Sam Kerr
She is the most marketable Aussie Footballer in the world at present.

She isn't in the best 500 overall players in the world of course, but she might just be in the top handful of women's.
Superstar!!
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #19
NEWS:

Stepping down in November irrespective of outcome will not coach at the World Cup next year.

As for coaches, there is one saying that is true.

Either you leave a hero, or stick around long enough to become a villain.
Or you are Alex Ferguson  ;)

I think he would still be winning the Prem these days, FREAK.

But you are right, just look at the Wegner situation at Arsenal. When he leaves I actually think Arsenal might drop from the top tier, but they are constantly calling for his head.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #21
Just a few points
The A-League was considered that it wouldn't be far off Championship level when it was formed.

I just done a quick check on FIFA 18 as well and Mooy is the only outfield player for Australia that is ranked as a 'gold card'
Now that doesn't mean much to those that don't play, but it just means that based on their statistical rating of players, (where 99 is the highest number), he s the only outfield player ranked above 75. (Also 2 Keepers are ranked the same as him.. 77).

Now just to put in perspective. There are almost 1750 players in the world ranked at 75 or above and about 900 of them are ranked higher than Mooy's 77.

Now this doesn't 'prove' anything, except that EA would put more time, money and resources into their analytics than probably any other organisation in the world, so it would be considered currently the most accurate 'rating' system for players out there, though it is of course not a guaranteed 'ranking'.

Maybe, I reckon FIFA would be a bit subjective about its rankings too, and would do a bit based on popularity (i.e. statistically biased upwards for a bloke playing in La Liga, who might have come from another division elsewhere and jumped up the rankings for it after one season).

Still, you are not half wrong to look at this.

Surprised Leckie isnt rated higher to be honest, but anyway, its going to be an interesting few years for Aussie Soccer moving forward.

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
OMG....
Trinidad & Tobago just scored againt USA to go 1-0 up.
USA are still through, but if Honduras or Panama go a goal up, USA would be our opposition to get to the World Cup

Ans I did not read your comment correctly Thry...
AMAZING
He should be sacked immediately.

We can't have a different coach after the last qualifying that is ridiculous.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #23
OMG....
Trinidad & Tobago just scored againt USA to go 1-0 up.
USA are still through, but if Honduras or Panama go a goal up, USA would be our opposition to get to the World Cup

Ans I did not read your comment correctly Thry...
AMAZING
He should be sacked immediately.

We can't have a different coach after the last qualifying that is ridiculous.

All good MIO.

Personally, I think its genius. 

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/stunned-reaction-to-socceroos-coach-ange-postecoglous-plan-to-quit/news-story/4d56af3e53bd57c4c726f6d4a2e826d8

AUSTRALIAN football is in shock after revelations Ange Postecoglou has no plans on leading the Socceroos at next year’s World Cup.

A Herald Sun report reveals Postecoglou will walk away from his post next month, regardless of whether his team qualifies for the tournament or not.

Postecoglou had originally earmarked a plan to step down after the competition, starting in Russia in June next year, but appears to have brought his exit forward in a stunning turn of events.

The 52-year-old’s shock decision is prompted by the scathing criticism he has received over recent months, according to the Herald Sun’s David Davutovic.

The bombshell comes just a day after the Socceroos survived a tense playoff against Syria with a 2-1 extra-time win in Melbourne.

Postecoglou has endured a tumultuous few months after Australia failed to qualify directly for the World Cup.

Australia still has to progress past a home-and-away playoff against a team from the CONCACAF region to secure a berth.

How this revelation affects his player’s — many of whom are extremely loyal to the boss — remains to be seen.

Australian football must also decide if it wants Postecoglou in charge during next month’s matches against the fourth-ranked team from the Americas — or to immediately install his replacement.

Tony Popovic and Graham Arnold have already been earmarked as potential replacements by former Socceroo Dean Heffernan.

“After the success we’ve had with an Australian-based coach you’d think Football Australia would want to continue on with a local coach,” Heffernan told Fox Sports 500.
Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou embraces Tim Cahill. Picture: Brett Costello

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou embraces Tim Cahill. Picture: Brett CostelloSource:News Corp Australia

The former Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory mentor took the reins of the national team in 2013, losing all three group stage matches at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil before claiming the 2015 Asian Cup on home soil.

He has been criticised by former Socceroos players this year for changing the team’s formation but has refused to change an approach he felt would leave the team best-placed to win in Russia.

“I think it’s shocked everyone but the word coming out seems to be that he’s just had enough of being undermined,” Fox Sports commentator Brenton Speed said.

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Just a few points

Thanks MIO, that is a great explanation, so it seems to me we are performing roughly at our level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Just a few points

How are you finding FIFA 18? I got it the day it came out but have only managed to play it a handful of times because I have an 8 month old and 2 1/2 year old. I thought it was supposed to be a big upgrade on FIFA 17 but have been a little disappointed.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Yeah not a great fan of it so far.
The Journey is a big upgrade on last year, in that the story line is longer, but it is still extremely linear, so becomes a little boring.

The 3 areas that I have noticed the biggest differences are

1) Tackling. I always have used "Legacy Defending" as I don't like the "Tactical Defending", but this year it feels "off". It seems much more difficult to defend. Just as an example, the last 2 years I have completed Division 1 seasons on the World League which last year the difficulty level was
Ultimate
Ultimate
Ultimate
Legendary
Ultimate
Ultimate
Ultimate
Ultimate
Legendary
Ultimate

To win, you had to win all 10, so the way I played I needed to keep a lot of clean sheets (I play a very high possession game, rather than fast break).

This year.. I am even getting scored against in the new "Squad Battles" format on professional level, with the Full Backs missing tackles far too often.

2) Dribbling. Whilst FiFA 15-17 made a lot of steps forward with dribbling, I have yet to get the technique in this one. Holding the ball is much the same, but those dinky little stepovers or even fake pass/shots just done seem as smooth so far.

3) Shooting.. Sending Finesse shots over the bar from 6 yards, or not being able to find the corners of the nets this year has been really frustrating. I am sure that is just something that needs some time to develop. but in one squad battle I had something like 16 shots and couldn't score. I felt like Man United when they used to play against Blackburn and Friedel was in goal.

It is probably just that I haven't taken the time to adapt and it is always easier to play the previous version, but so far those issues have dampened my enthusiasm a fair bit for it this year.

I have only played 2 1-1 games so far against my son, so I can't really compare the head to head features this year.

I got the early release Ronaldo Edition and after the 1st week, I have only probably played it a further 5 times
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #27
USA are OUT of the World Cup
Amazing really and FIFA will be pissed.

We are playing Honduras in what will likely be one of the most spiteful games Australia have played in.
Honduras were filthy going into the last world cup and during it. We can expect a lot of diving and more than the occasional filthy tackle in these games
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #28
USA are OUT of the World Cup
Amazing really and FIFA will be pissed.

We are playing Honduras in what will likely be one of the most spiteful games Australia have played in.
Honduras were filthy going into the last world cup and during it. We can expect a lot of diving and more than the occasional filthy tackle in these games
Par for the course with that stupid game. Officialdom must stamp out the rubbish, the Syrians did it last night, lying on the ground like they had been shot and wasting time, the ref did nothing. Bring in a rule that if you stay down for me than say 10 seconds, your off for 20 minutes and cant be replaced. That rubbish would be eliminated immediately. The coach was practically on the ground and refs did nothing. Red card them immediately and coaches will commence staying with their tech area.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
The US screwed up. Very badly indeed.
Finals, then 4 in a row!