Skip to main content
Topic: The Brisbane Test (Read 14051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Brisbane Test

Reply #30
Puck me, if you've got a problem DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Khawaja against off spin is embarrassing.  He couldn't survive against a park spinner ATM.  A!aaaaaaaargh he craps me no end, bloody passenger.

He averages 45 in test cricket. That's no mean feat.
Maybe the selectors should stop panicking and stick with him. His confidence will grow if they do
Warner couldn't make a run on the sub continent but they play him still.

Reply #31
LP, what was wrong with Smith's captaincy yesterday?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #32
Australia 0/114 at stumps needing just another 56 to win the Test match.

Reply #33
Australia 0/114 at stumps needing just another 56 to win the Test match.

Disappointing finish!

I would have preferred to see at least two sessions tomorrow.

The Poms' tail needs docking.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Disappointing finish!

I would have preferred to see at least two sessions tomorrow.

The Poms' tail needs docking.

Bounced out with not much effort were the Poms...Anderson needs speaking to by the English management, bowled like he couldnt give a rats clacker late in the day including a wild off spinning
full toss,  no effort from him and was struggling to bowl 130kmh then threw the ball at Bancroft striking him with little apology.
He just couldnt  bothered trying and must be here for the money and the sun tan .....

Reply #35
Bounced out with not much effort were the Poms...Anderson needs speaking to by the English management, bowled like he couldnt give a rats clacker late in the day including a wild off spinning
full toss,  no effort from him and was struggling to bowl 130kmh then threw the ball at Bancroft striking him with little apology.
He just couldnt  bothered trying and must be here for the money and the sun tan .....

He is a very strange unit.
500 wickets but only on his terms

Reply #36
He is a very strange unit.
500 wickets but only on his terms

Bit of a incident in a bar earlier in the tour where Bairstow and Bancroft tangled....Bairstow been accused of headbutting Bancroft.
Maybe that explains the lack of love for Bancroft from the Englishmen....

Reply #37
Our blokes rocked up not switched on, when they did turn on the poms were revealed to be a side with a couple of very good players plus more than a couple of blokes just making up the numbers.  Even with the warm up matches they aren't playing as a unit - some of the dismals were very soft, park cricket stuff.  On paper they should bat to 9 but reality is that they don't. 

When they are still interested Broad and Anderson make some of our blokes look like monkeys but they have little or no support.  When Stokes arrives they will be a much better balanced unit.

At the same time we aren't a great side either, we're fortunate to have a sprinkling of absolute top liners within the team.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #38
Bit of a incident in a bar earlier in the tour where Bairstow and Bancroft tangled....Bairstow been accused of headbutting Bancroft.

Apparently the Poms are investigating.  It will be a disaster for the Poms if Bairstow is suspended or sent home.  Not that they are making the best use of him batting him so low in the order.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Apparently the Poms are investigating.  It will be a disaster for the Poms if Bairstow is suspended or sent home.  Not that they are making the best use of him batting him so low in the order.

If they are conducting their own investigation then should we expect any significant outcome, perhaps not?

LP, what was wrong with Smith's captaincy yesterday?

Nothing, he basically did nothing different from what he would do if it was the first ball of the first day or the last ball of the last day. He does the same things he does systematically just about every game. For all his batting prowess, his captaincy shows about as much flair as a hockey puck, and he misses opportunities to turn the screws which eventually must bite the team!

I think he plays it safe, to understand my criticism you have to compare the pressure cooker environment created by captains like Taylor and Ponting. Winning at test cricket isn't just about taking wickets, it's about damaging your opponent for the remainder of a test series. It's easy to argue about the calibre of players, but not matter how good they are if you don;t use them wisely you won;t get the best out of them.

Smith applies very little pressure, and that shows up as variability on the apparent intensity of the bowling attack. You shouldn't just go with the flow if a bowler is a little off, you have to be proactive and flexible in the tactics used, and it's not too hard to do that without putting the bowler off-side.

For example, it was clear from his first over Saturday afternoon that Starc was off his game, he was all over the shop and worrying about footholds and shape of the ball. All clear signs to a captain that the bowler isn't in the right head-space and is looking for distractions or excuses. Hazelwood had them on the griddle at the other end, and Starc was letting them off the hook, yet Smith kept to the formula and bowled Starc into the 10th or 12th over before bringing on Lyon and Cummins. I realise that Smith might have been a bit fatigued after a long and spectacular innings, but that should never be an excuse. FWIW, it also tells me something about vice captain, because in those situations he should be stepping up to push hard when the captain is a bit flat.

I think his current bowling attack as a group, is potentially as good as any we've had in the last 20 years, it's should be far more damaging than it appears. To me a lot of that is due to the captaincy.

The thing now will be we've had an easy win against a folding opponent, all will be forgiven, until Sth Africa or India stick another rocket up our ar5e!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Massive psychological blow to the Poms.

We were pretty ordinary and still belted them...

Expect Stokes to arrive in the next few days....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41

There's Bancroft's after match interview. Clears it up a bit. Interesting greeting as a way of say "hello", which apparently all it was. Sound's a weird cat Bairstow is.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/cricket/the-ashes/it-was-a-good-hit-play-on!654231

Reply #42
There's Bancroft's after match interview. Clears it up a bit. Interesting greeting as a way of say "hello", which apparently all it was. Sound's a weird cat Bairstow is.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/cricket/the-ashes/it-was-a-good-hit-play-on!654231

Think Bancroft played a straight bat, reckon Bairstow clocked him one and meant it.....watched a interview with Bairstow and I reckon he is still badly affected by his fathers death and the circumstances.
Dont think it would take much to trigger him into a fight and there was a rumour he might have had another incident around the time of the Ben Stokes punch fest but it was let go and no charges laid.

Reply #43
Think Bancroft played a straight bat, reckon Bairstow clocked him one and meant it.....watched a interview with Bairstow and I reckon he is still badly affected by his fathers death and the circumstances.

Shizen, that was 20 years ago!

I'd think if he's got a problem now it's more to do with his own mental health rather than what his father went through.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Shizen, that was 20 years ago!

I'd think if he's got a problem now it's more to do with his own mental health rather than what his father went through.

He has just put out a book where he talks about his father and how he coped etc....its still fresh.... but I agree his own mental health is probably an issue..
I'd like to think other players dont use that to their advantage, hence his problems with Bancroft and others...??