Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 9634 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
Kennedy probably has the build and attitude to do the blue collar work, Setterfield hasnt proven to be that robust or keen
on heavy contact.
Dow was recruited to be Cripps running mate in the middle and do the burst work away from packs but hasnt looked like
it in terms of confidence or skills....its bad enough with Cripps skills being average without throwing a nervous Dow in the middle on a full time basis. Williams is the other who should be there but he is also doubtful with injury and cant play long periods as a mid due to his lack of endurance.

I'm saying remove Cripps until he's back to his normal self. At the moment he is a liability, was it against the Lions where he had 25 disposals and 12 clangers? That's the ball game right there.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #61
Re Williams being a burst player.
He was supposed to be playing mid and switching forward with Martin. That all went out the window when Martin got injured

Martin and Fisher are our two best forward pressure players and we really miss them. Owies and Betts had good games on SUnday but they had 21 pressure acts between them. Our opponent this week Kysaiah Pickett had 22 by himself.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
I’m fast losing faith in Teague’s assessment of the side and with that Teague as a coach. His statement that we are a flexible team could not be further from the truth, and that starts with Cripps, he is a clearance player only, sure he may be big (not that he is currently playing like it) but his one touch pickups are gone, his vision to get the ball to our advantage by hand has also let him. Instead he wants to burst away from a pack all himself and be the hero. Compare that to Pendulbury or Bont and both are happy to give a little handball if it gets their other players into space.

Cripps is a one dimensional cut out of his former self, and with the game speeding up thanks to a few rule changes over the last couple of seasons, is not going to get any better. In fact if you look at the game against the Dogs, to win the ruck hit outs and to then have a C grade ruck in Pitto win the clearances just shows how far Cripps has sunk. It’s with this in mind that I think if he wants to go at the end of the season via free agency, provided we get a first rounder back for him, then let him go.

While many will howl at the idea, it will go a long way to fix our team. We have two players who attend most centre bounces that struggle to play any where else, Cripps and Ed. Ed is limited but does a great job negating the best clearance player on the other side, while getting the ball himself, not that it’s a great possession most of the time. That leaves one spot vacant which Walsh is the logical choice, because of his level of play this year. So where do we fit Cunningham, Dow, SPS, Setterfield, Stocker, Williams, Fogarty etc? At the moment they are sent to a flank pocket or wing and given 5 minutes a game in the middle, leaving us with the question, why aren’t our young players better. The answer is because of the one dimensional play of Cripps and Curnow.

Obviously Cripps is not going to be dropped or put on a flank, but his time should be diminished in the middle and he put in the goal square for 10 minutes a quarter. Ed needs to be able to tag of a flank or wing, but very rarely should we use both in the middle at the same time.

If Cripps is in use a combination of two faster players like a Walsh Dow Cunningham, if Ed is in then look at a Stocker Setterfield to win the ball inside and move it forward. If neither then that’s when SPS and Fogarty or even Gibbons get a look in.

Down back we are pretty good, however this needs a change too, Williams has been a non event in the middle and should be moved to the HBF to regain form and confidence, Doc I would move to the wing and drop Newnes who is a real list clogger. 12-15 touches a game equals a seconds player who gets a game for injury or bad form of another player. I would also want to see Newnam in as soon as possible, which would mean moving Stocker to the bench.

Up forward we have seen how ineffective Fisher has been when compared to Owies who over the last 2 games has given us 5 goals plus pressure and the biggest thing I saw was Owies rushing a point last weekend, he wasn’t playing on ball, so to be to see him on the last line of defence means he must of followed his opponent into out backline, something that Murphy, Fisher, Gibbons just doesn’t do. Owies should not be dropped for the foreseeable future. That being said, we have no spot for Fisher, he is a forward by circumstance not by choice and to me is tradeable, because he will not get a spot in out midfield. Murphy should be an injury sub on or two times this season, just to get his tally closer to 300 without getting him on the field.

So a team I’d like to see this week;

FB Plowman Jones Newnam
HB Williams Weitering  Saad
C E.Curnow Cripps Docherty
R Pittonet Walsh Dow
HF Fogarty deKoning Cunningham
FF Betts McKay Owies
I Parks, Stocker, SPS, Cottrell
IS Murphy
E Setterfield, Newnes, Williamson

Only thing I worry about with removing Cripps out of the middle, is what happens to Walsh.

You put Cripps in there, and irrespective of his form, the opposition have to respect him, and by extension this frees walsh up to mix his time inside and outside the contest with Cripps wearing the heavy heat, because as bad as he has been, he will win the contest, and he will dish it out to someone if he would just simplify his game.

That being said, we should look at trying a different mix.  I like Walsh's game irrespective of where he plays, but I think we are a poorer team not having him on the wing, because he runs up and down all day, and is a much better user of the footy than anyone in our team except for Williams when he has his kicking boots on.  Unfortunately he too is injured.

As for Teague, I think the spread of how games have gone has shown that he is coaching reasonably well.  Its not translating to wins, but I can genuinely see us in it to win it 95% of the time, with thus far, the Port Adelaide game the only one that didnt look like getting near it.  Considering we have played 3 of the sides expected to be top 4 already, then that speaks for itself really. 

I think we will get a better idea of how he goes as a coach in the back half of the year.  Seeing Beveridge on the boundary line on the weekend is a bit tick to Teague's coaching and planning as it made him desperate to get the win.

This weekend might tell a better story.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
I’m fast losing faith in Teague’s assessment of the side and with that Teague as a coach.
I think we are a flexible team, but not in respect of the talls and that includes Cripps.

We don't really have a Roughead type tall, at least if we do it hasn't been exposed yet. Perhaps Charlie is the missing link in this regard, De Koning might be pretty flexible option long term. He really reminds me of Peter Moore.

Not every player can be everything, and on Cripps it was Daisy that made a point this morning of stating that while Cripps is taking hits and heat for Walsh he can't still be winning his own footy to the same degree, he can't be two players at once.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
I think we are a flexible team, but not in respect of the talls and that includes Cripps.

We don't really have a Roughead type tall, at least if we do it hasn't been exposed yet. Perhaps Charlie is the missing link in this regard, De Koning might be pretty flexible option long term. He really reminds me of Peter Moore.

Not every player can be everything, and on Cripps it was Daisy that made a point this morning of stating that while Cripps is taking hits and heat for Walsh he can't still be winning his own footy to the same degree, he can't be two players at once.
We never got Cripps the support he needed, we recruited all these GWS players and missed on the bloke who could do the job in Steele...

Reply #65
EB....I seem to recall the talk at the time of recruiting them, was that blokes like Setterfield and Kennedy were the big bodied types to support Cripps. I'm not sure what the deal is with Kennedy but he's clearly had his card stamped and won't be there next year. Then we recruit Williams to play in the middle and the guy hasn't fired a shot all year. I'd hate to lose a guy like McKay because we've stumped up $900K per year over 5 years for Williams and now can't afford others.

Said it before on these posts and probably sounding like a broken record but the targeting of players has been atrocious. We have two key defenders on the whole list...Jones/Weitering....and Jones is 30. Parks is a good sized third tall but still raw. Marchbank will be lucky to survive and likely end up on the rookie list and clearly doesn't have the body to stand up to the rigours of AFL.

We have two ruckman on the list with no backup other than Casboult.

And we've drafted a score of young midfielders who, for a variety of reasons, aren't playing or don't look like they're up to it....or we're playing them out of position.

I'd still like to hear a reason why SPS didn't play against Bulldogs. Came on as the sub in the first quarter against Essendon and played in the midfield and IMO played one of his better games....he looked confident and sure of himself and his disposal was pretty good. Then he's not selected against the Bulldogs who have arguably the best/deepest midfield in the competition, and, no surprise, we get smashed in the middle.

There doesn't appear to be any Plan B in the coaches box when opposition teams get a run-on. If games were played over 3 quarters I reckon we'd be nearly top of the ladder....but they aren't, and we're not.

If we're resigned to winning a few games against the likes of Freo, Essendon, GC, North, Hawks etc then it'll be another 6-7 win season, a bottom 4 or 5 finish and back to the draft/trade table we go again.

Something has to give.

Reply #66
If Setterfield, Dow or Kennedy got Cripps' centre square time their performances would be much better.
Not sure I agree with that, Kennedy and Setterfield are getting plenty of time in the centre in the VFL and are not tearing it up there.

Reply #67
Kennedy's been treated like a yo-yo as usual.

Had a few excellent games in the 2s.

Promoted to the 1s, for one game, played out of position...

Then dropped.

Could imagine if the bloke wasn't enjoying hi footy presently.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #68
Not sure I agree with that, Kennedy and Setterfield are getting plenty of time in the centre in the VFL and are not tearing it up there.
Setterfield  In the best vs Brisbane, our best vs Essendon and another 27 touches on Sunday.

Reply #69
Setterfield  In the best vs Brisbane, our best vs Essendon and another 27 touches on Sunday.
Yep I've watched all the VFL games except for last weeks second half and I wouldn't have put him in our best in any of them. Just an opinion but seems a fair way of AFL standard to me.

Reply #71
Setterfield has pulled out of contests and hasnt shown me he is combative enough at senior level. He will pick up possies at VFL level playing on kids from the burbs because he is better than VFL hackers but has never looked like that hardened warrior type we need to help Cripps. We needed more ballsy players like Steele and Adams from GWS....

Reply #72
https://www.afl.com.au/news/153037/tomorrows-heroes-will-setterfield-the-tall-mid-who-can-do-it-all

This is what Cal Twomey said about Setterfield in his draft year.

One of the most complete midfielders in the draft, eh? Wow. What happened!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #73
https://www.afl.com.au/news/153037/tomorrows-heroes-will-setterfield-the-tall-mid-who-can-do-it-all

This is what Cal Twomey said about Setterfield in his draft year.

I would love to see that in him, wish he could bring some of that to his game now. Do you think it's a confidence thing? That's how he looks to me, not confident maybe scared of making a mistake? I don't think he lacks courage.

Reply #74
Maybe there is a use by date on coalface mids...watched a bit of Nat Fyfe and his goal kicking exploits in particular and it was like Cripps MkII...he looked like an old man with gout trying to make contact with the ball and the years of carrying Freo look like they have done for him as well. He had more ball than Cripps but 2/3 of his possies were handballs and the run seems to have gone out of his legs too. The old Freo had 4  big bodied mids and were fearsome now its just Fyfe, his equally old mate Mundy and some kids along with no big Sandilands anymore to make life that much easier.
Its a position that needs refreshing more than most and having a group of players capable of sharing the workload...
Judd was another victim of burnout after leaving the mighty west coast midfield and doing it solo around the world with us...